Page 2 of 65 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: O’Rourke: Churches Should Lose Tax-exempt Status

Faith
    invalid value
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    It is true that Churches need to lighten up with respect to all things gay. Maybe they need a financial incentive to do the right thing.

What the Bible Really Says about Homosexuality, first released in 1994 and published in a significantly up-dated "Millennium Edition" in 2000, is Helminiak's best known book. The book has sold over 100,000 copies and been translated into a number of languages. It popularizes recent scholarship that aims to understand biblical texts within their original historical and cultural settings.

The work argues that far from condemning, the Bible is essentially indifferent to same-sex relationships, as was most of the ancient world. The prohibition of Leviticus 18:22, against "man lying with man as with a woman," pertains solely to anal penetration, not to other male-male sexual practices, and rests on concern about ancient Jewish ritual taboos ("purity"), not hygiene, idolatrous rituals, opposition to Gentile practices, or more recent ethical beliefs about the nature of sex or the complementarity of the sexes. According to Helminiak, the most important Christian text on same-sex behavior, Romans 1:26-27, refers back to Leviticus ("God gave them up to impurity," Romans 1:24) and, following Jesus, dismisses the purity requirements of the "Old Law" as irrelevant for Christians ("Nothing is unclean in itself," Romans 14:14). Helminiak also argues that the "unnatural" of Romans 1:26 is a mistranslation of Paul's popular usage of the otherwise technical Stoic Greek term para physin, which, without ethical implications, should read "atypical" or "non-standard."
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” ― Anne Lamott
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by firstfloor View Post
    It is true that Churches need to lighten up with respect to all things gay. Maybe they need a financial incentive to do the right thing.
    Who needs the Constitution as long as leftist fascists get their way, huh?

3. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Perhaps it's time for churches to to the right thing regardless of whatever financial incentives there may or may not be.

And that right thing is to stop soft pedalling what God calls wrong and trying to conform to what the culture says is right.

And if a church does that and loses its tax exempt status because of it, well, it just shows the bias of the culture which cries for love and tolerance while punishing those who don't conform to their idea of what is good and right, then so be it.

I'd far rather be on the narrow path that leads to heaven than the broad path the current culture is on that leads to destruction.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

5. Amen demi-conservative, NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    Perhaps it's time for churches to to the right thing regardless of whatever financial incentives there may or may not be.

And that right thing is to stop soft pedalling what God calls wrong and trying to conform to what the culture says is right.

And if a church does that and loses its tax exempt status because of it, well, it just shows the bias of the culture which cries for love and tolerance while punishing those who don't conform to their idea of what is good and right, then so be it.

I'd far rather be on the narrow path that leads to heaven than the broad path the current culture is on that leads to destruction.
    Our Church has been fully prepared for the last year to operate tax exempt excepted.
    DuckDuckGo - Privacy Simplified

7. Amen Teallaura, mossrose, NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    invalid value
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

God is willing, able and eager to move with the times. He is not the book.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” ― Anne Lamott
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Wrong god - you want allah, the one that changes his mind every few pages and for whom the word 'abrogation' had to be invented.

10. Amen mossrose, NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    You horribly misunderstand the God of the scriptures. He who has said of Himself, "I AM the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow". He is unchanging, unchangeable, and perfectly holy.

However, you may go ahead and make Him in your own image if you wish. To your detriment.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    What a crock of godlessness.
    DuckDuckGo - Privacy Simplified

13. Amen mossrose, Faber, Teallaura, NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    invalid value
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    You horribly misunderstand the God of the scriptures. He who has said of Himself, "I AM the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow". He is unchanging, unchangeable, and perfectly holy.

However, you may go ahead and make Him in your own image if you wish. To your detriment.
    Why do you think that God is defined by a worldly book? I know that the book makes big claims about itself, but it is possible to go beyond the book. Think of a Christian as someone who is afraid to let go of apron strings. That might explain your predicament.
    Last edited by firstfloor; 10-11-2019 at 05:52 PM.

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Why do you think that God is defined by a worldly book? I know that the book makes big claims about itself, but it is possible to go beyond the book. Think of a Christian as someone who is afraid to let go of apron strings. That might explain your predicament.

You can think of a Christian any way you want to. I will define God by His word where He has defined Himself. His word is my final authority, and the world can call it a "predicament" or "apron strings" or anything else it likes, but that is pure unbelief and it will send you to hell.

16. Amen NorrinRadd, Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.