Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

O’Rourke: Churches Should Lose Tax-exempt Status

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Sure, Jimmy, whatever you say.
    Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
      I hope you're keeping those tin foil hats handy there, CP.
      I have been talking to you as an adult, Jim - perhaps you could reign in the insults, as well.

The rules concerning the subsidizing of political campaigns (whatever rules Tea is talking about) apply to all political parties and they are all aware of the rules.
      Jim, rules are totally irrelevant if both sides don't abide by them. Campaign finance is a mess.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
        You are an intelligent person Tassman, it seems to me you would take the time to think a little deeper to at least try to understand a bit more about this issue than such a simplistic dismissal.

First, the christian scripture is also the jewish scripture. And all in all, there isxsomewgere around 1/4 of the world's population that finds much more in that text than 'what we want it to be'. There are literally millions of people on this Earth that because of what that book tells them have found reason to abandon drug and alchohol addictions, to go from abusive fathers and mothers to people that care for and love their spousesxand children. Muderors that have become prison ministers or other productive members of society.

There is a message of hope, of forgiveness, of mercy and love in those pages that transcends the sort of a ademic debate you are concerned about here.

And that hope and mercy and forgiveness is its power and its reality.

And that message is the message all Christian's gold in common, regardless of the outward trappings that confuse and in some cases divide.

Jim
        No doubt there is much good to be found in the Christian religion, just as there is in ALL religions. But that's not the point I'm making which is that scripture is, and historically always has been, interpreted according to the moral values of the day. The role of women being a case in point.
        “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

You really have a thing for Southern Baptists, don't you?
          It’s relevant to this discussion. Dustin Benge, whom Mossrose was quoting with approval, is a Southern Baptist and trained at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. And you, I think, are Southern Baptist.

You can speak for ALL Catholics? Because the ones in my ministerial association don't believe that at all.
          Traditionally the RC Doctrine is that there is 'no salvation outside the Church' and Protestants, being outside the Church, are “heretics” destined for Hell. This doctrine was modified at Vatican II to refer to Protestants as “separated brethren” rather than "heretics", but the belief remains the same.
          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

I have been talking to you as an adult, Jim - perhaps you could reign in the insults, as well.
            Yes, I can.

Jim, rules are totally irrelevant if both sides don't abide by them. Campaign finance is a mess.
            Well, Tea and myself weren't talking about corruption, she was talking about legitimate government subsidizing of political campaigns. Personally I have no idea what she's talking about with respect to government subsizing of political campaigns, but the point I was making is that the rules, whatever they might be, are not partisan rules. If there are government subsidies for political campaigns, the subsidies are applicable to all political parties.

Comment

Yes, I can.
              Super.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                It’s relevant to this discussion. Dustin Benge, whom Mossrose was quoting with approval, is a Southern Baptist and trained at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. And you, I think, are Southern Baptist.
                I am. So?

Traditionally the RC Doctrine is that there is 'no salvation outside the Church' and Protestants, being outside the Church, are “heretics” destined for Hell. This doctrine was modified at Vatican II to refer to Protestants as “separated brethren” rather than "heretics", but the belief remains the same.
                And, again, so? How many Catholics do you think actually go along with every aspect of Vatican "official policy"?

Comment

Yes, I can.

Well, Tea and myself weren't talking about corruption, she was talking about legitimate government subsidizing of political campaigns. Personally I have no idea what she's talking about with respect to government subsizing of political campaigns, but the point I was making is that the rules, whatever they might be, are not partisan rules. If there are government subsidies for political campaigns, the subsidies are applicable to all political parties.
                  Wasn't making a point beyond that you had overstated that there was no campaign subsidy when you meant it wasn't applied (legally) in a partisan way (per your later clarification).
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Back on topic....

Democrats want to close churches, raise taxes and pay for sex reassignment surgery. Great.

“Let's say you're on the campaign trail and a supporter approaches you and says, 'Senator, I'm old-fashioned, and my faith teaches me that marriage is between one man and one woman.' What is your response?" asked Morgan Cox, board chairman of the Human Rights Campaign, which co-hosted the event.

"Well, I'm going to assume it's a guy who said that, and I'm going to say, 'Then just marry one woman. I'm cool with that,'" Warren said, to laughs and applause from the audience.

As the clapping subsided, the senator paused before going in for the kill — "assuming you can find one" — drawing sustained applause and cheers from the crowd.
                    Last edited by Cow Poke; 10-15-2019, 05:04 PM.

Comment

• Warren is twice married - two kids from the first marriage (1968 - 1978) - and is celebrating 39 years of marriage in the second (1980 - present).

Hypocrite.
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                        Warren is twice married - two kids from the first marriage (1968 - 1978) - and is celebrating 39 years of marriage in the second (1980 - present).

Hypocrite.
                        That makes no sense in response to what Warren said. Why do you say she's a hypocrite?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          I am. So?
                          Because I was addressing mossrose’s quote by a Southern Baptist, who was trained at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, and presumably reflects the Southern Baptist understanding of “The gospel of Christ”. My point is that every Christian reads the biblical text through the lens of their own culture, theology, philosophy, and denomination. And ALL think they are the ones who've got it right.

And, again, so? How many Catholics do you think actually go along with every aspect of Vatican "official policy"?
                          All of them if they are to remain in good standing with the “One True Church”. 'No salvation outside the Church' remains official Catholic Doctrine.
                          Last edited by Tassman; 10-16-2019, 12:18 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                            That makes no sense in response to what Warren said. Why do you say she's a hypocrite?
                            She trashed a guy for saying what she's lived.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              For the record, here is what the "official policy" actually is:
                              "Outside the Church there is no salvation"

846 How are we to understand this affirmation, often repeated by the Church Fathers? Re-formulated positively, it means that all salvation comes from Christ the Head through the Church which is his Body:

Basing itself on Scripture and Tradition, the Council teaches that the Church, a pilgrim now on earth, is necessary for salvation: the one Christ is the mediator and the way of salvation; he is present to us in his body which is the Church. He himself explicitly asserted the necessity of faith and Baptism, and thereby affirmed at the same time the necessity of the Church which men enter through Baptism as through a door. Hence they could not be saved who, knowing that the Catholic Church was founded as necessary by God through Christ, would refuse either to enter it or to remain in it.

847 This affirmation is not aimed at those who, through no fault of their own, do not know Christ and his Church:

Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and, moved by grace, try in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience - those too may achieve eternal salvation.

848 "Although in ways known to himself God can lead those who, through no fault of their own, are ignorant of the Gospel, to that faith without which it is impossible to please him, the Church still has the obligation and also the sacred right to evangelize all men."
                              (Catechism of the Catholic Church, Paragraphs 846-848, footnotes removed)
                              Last edited by Terraceth; 10-16-2019, 02:30 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                                She trashed a guy for saying what she's lived.
                                Warren is like that. Kind of like how she complains about the price of college after getting paid $400,000 to teach one class (a job she got after lying about being Native American).

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment