Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

O’Rourke: Churches Should Lose Tax-exempt Status

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Well, actually, I said 'assault', but...

It was NOT the truth that Criswell was President of the Southern Baptist Convention at the time of the ruling, and it's balderdash that he was represented as the official spokesperson for the SBC.

Tass has this nasty habit of elevating somebody to extreme importance so he can pretend that's the official position....

Like I said - he's a special kind of special.
    3 out of 10 Southern Baptists continue to be pro choice. I don't think you have a very good case if you want to make it look as if this is something he made up. Getting some facts about a persons status wrong is not an assault. You may have taken it that way if you are ashamed of the history of Southern Baptists though.
    "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
      3 out of 10 Southern Baptists continue to be pro choice.
      Wow, a MINORITY!!!! And, how many of them are practicing Christians, Charles?

I don't think you have a very good case if you want to make it look as if this is something he made up.
      It is a DOCUMENTABLE FACT that Criswell was NOT President of the SBC at the time of the RvW ruling.

Getting some facts about a persons status wrong is not an assault.
      That was only ONE of his many errors, and his ongoing obsession with his profound ignorance of all things Southern Baptist.

You may have taken it that way if you are ashamed of the history of Southern Baptists though.
      I am certainly ashamed of the role Southern Baptists had in slavery - I am not ashamed that, when the issue was pushed to the forefront by RvW, Southern Baptists took a stand for the sanctity of human life.

Tass must be SO VERY PROUD to have such an astute and august Twebber such as you carry his water for him!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
        3 out of 10 Southern Baptists continue to be pro choice. I don't think you have a very good case if you want to make it look as if this is something he made up. Getting some facts about a persons status wrong is not an assault. You may have taken it that way if you are ashamed of the history of Southern Baptists though.
        I'd be interesting in seeing the statistics if you asked them how many of them go to Church every Sunday.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
          I'd be interesting in seeing the statistics if you asked them how many of them go to Church every Sunday.
          EGGzackly - like most large denominations, you'll have a pretty fair contingent that identify with that denomination because they grew up in it, or married into it, or needed somewhere to "belong" while running for political office...

Just belonging to a denomination in no way makes you a Christian.

(but you know that )
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
            There is a Pew poll, the more devout you are the more likely that you would be against abortion...

https://www.pewforum.org/religious-l...bout-abortion/
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Just belonging to a denomination in no way makes you a Christian.
              Sure it does just like going to MacDonalds makes you a hamburger...
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                Sure it does just like going to MacDonalds makes you a hamburger...
                Or being in a garage makes you a car, or a cat giving birth to kittens in an oven makes them muffins....

Comment

• Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
                  She has nothing. Against God-breathed Holy Scripture, she only has the worldly 'wisdom' of this age, which is nothing.

It is always the worldly wisdom of this age, "our societies are different, it's a different time, now we know better", whether it's about death penalty, (sub)ordination of women, homosexuality, or any other cherished modern belief.
                  I'm sure you are aware that many argue against your view of the status of women without invoking the "now we know better" approach.
                  Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Technically, Seer is correct in that the actual definition is " to turn aside, discourage, or prevent from acting ".

Putting somebody to death certainly "prevents them from acting" to kill again.

However, it's common knowledge that the "deter" is intended to mean "deter others", and that's where it's really hard to make a case.
                    I prefer to argue that regardless of its overall deterrence effect, it is 100% in preventing recidivism.
                    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                      I prefer to argue that regardless of its overall deterrence effect, it is 100% in preventing recidivism.
                      For that particular individual, true. Unfortunately, it's not 100% righteous, in that there are people who have been executed who have later been found not guilty.

Comment

For that particular individual, true. Unfortunately, it's not 100% righteous, in that there are people who have been executed who have later been found not guilty.
                        Including the Central Park Five, if Trump had had his way.
                        “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                          Just as many Christians did not accept slavery and used the Bible to support their position.
                          My point exactly. The bible will say whatever people want it to say depending on the cultural mores of the day

Are you being dense on purpose? If the murderer or rapist is executed is he deterred form ever harming anyone again?
                          Of course, he is, he’s dead. You’re confusing “deter” with “prevented”. Statistics show that the death penalty is NOT a deterrent…as previously linked.

That is just nonsense. There is a reason why we are the most powerful, richest nation in history,
                          There have been many others. The Roman Empire once controlled the known world, and the British Empire held sway over a quarter of the world’s population until the 20th Century. The US has dominated since then but is now in decline, its place to be taken by China. So, what is your point again?

Right, again, and the religious are happier and more content than the non-religious.
                          Not according to the ‘Happiness' and 'Human Development' Indices which clearly demonstrate that the secular nations head the list.

Except "health" can include almost any thing, so the unborn child having brain waves is meaningless...
                          Again, I will leave that to the appropriate medical judgement. Suffice to say that the clear intention of Roe v Wade is that third trimester abortions are permitted only in the most extraordinary circumstances.
                          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                            Including the Central Park Five, if Trump had had his way.
                            Three words: First Step Act.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                              I'm sure you are aware that many argue against your view of the status of women without invoking the "now we know better" approach.
                              Meaning?
                              Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Wow, a MINORITY!!!! And, how many of them are practicing Christians, Charles?
                                30 % is quite an minority. But if you don't feel stronger for the pro life case then that is your problem.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                It is a DOCUMENTABLE FACT that Criswell was NOT President of the SBC at the time of the RvW ruling.
                                That was not what I was talking about. I was talking about that quite many Southern Baptists have been pro choice and quite many continue to be so.

That was only ONE of his many errors, and his ongoing obsession with his profound ignorance of all things Southern Baptist.
                                From what we actually know about the Southern Baptists it is quite obvious that quite many of them are members of the cult of death. I have not seen you being too concerned about that.

I am certainly ashamed of the role Southern Baptists had in slavery - I am not ashamed that, when the issue was pushed to the forefront by RvW, Southern Baptists took a stand for the sanctity of human life.
                                Talking about errors.... You know that 30 percent of the Southern Baptists are pro choice but somehow ignore it this statement. You know many Southern Baptists were pro choice in the past and somehow ignore that too. A little ironic when you want to clam that others make errors and are ignorant...
                                "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment