Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Run, Michelle, Run!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Run, Michelle, Run!

She's the front runner?!?!

The democrats are so doomed - a woman who has never held office is outperforming their entire field!
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

there is no one less qualified to be President than someone who has had a close family member as President.

Comment

Is the implication here that Michelle Obama's wild popularity (that poll shows ~46% of "Lean-R" NH primary voters would vote for Obama were she to enter the race, along with ~22% of conservative voters) is a ... negative for Democrats?

Michelle Obama won't run and all top three Democratic candidates are beating Trump in head-to-head polling right now. So who Michelle Obama ends up stumping for is going to have the advantage of a very popular supporter with universal name recognition.

Trump would be so lucky.

--Sam
      "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
        Is the implication here that Michelle Obama's wild popularity (that poll shows ~46% of "Lean-R" NH primary voters would vote for Obama were she to enter the race, along with ~22% of conservative voters) is a ... negative for Democrats?

Michelle Obama won't run and all top three Democratic candidates are beating Trump in head-to-head polling right now. So who Michelle Obama ends up stumping for is going to have the advantage of a very popular supporter with universal name recognition.

Trump would be so lucky.

--Sam
        Three months out from the primaries having anyone that can lead your field without running is a very bad sign.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
          there is no one less qualified to be President than someone who has had a close family member as President.
          Lurleen Wallace did pretty darn good...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
            Three months out from the primaries having anyone that can lead your field without running is a very bad sign.
            In New Hampshire, where Biden & Sanders were beating Trump by +5 to +10 in September, I'd be a lot more concerned about the 14% potential Weld supporters crossing over.

--Sam
            "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

The democrats are so doomed - a woman who has never held office is outperforming their entire field!
              It's not unusual for someone to be popular in the polls until they start campaigning, and then things turn around in a hurry.

But I do hope the Democrats are desperate and stupid enough to pull something like this.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                ...all top three Democratic candidates are beating Trump in head-to-head polling right now.
                Depends on which poll you're looking at. I saw one recently showing Trump easily beating the Democrats in key states.

But like I keep saying, the only poll that matters is the one that happens on election day.

Comment

So elect Michelle and you can another term for Barack Obama.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    It's not unusual for someone to be popular in the polls until they start campaigning, and then things turn around in a hurry.

But I do hope the Democrats are desperate and stupid enough to pull something like this.
                    Oh sure - and this is just funny - but it isn't a good sign this close to primaries.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Why is this surprising? First Ladies are generally popular as they tend to mostly stay out of the political fray, and occasionally lobby on "safe" issues (Laura Bush on education, Michelle Obama on children's nutrition, Melania Trump on human rights). Also, anybody who isn't currently runing has the advantage of not having been pummeled by all sides in the open battle that is the primary process and hasn't had to answer tough questions. If she actually ran and got involved with the process, her rating would surely drop. Maybe she would be the frontrunner for all I know, but she surely wouldn't run away with it.
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                        Why is this surprising? First Ladies are generally popular as they tend to mostly stay out of the political fray, and occasionally lobby on "safe" issues (Laura Bush on education, Michelle Obama on children's nutrition, Melania Trump on human rights). Also, anybody who isn't currently runing has the advantage of not having been pummeled by all sides in the open battle that is the primary process and hasn't had to answer tough questions. If she actually ran and got involved with the process, her rating would surely drop. Maybe she would be the frontrunner for all I know, but she surely wouldn't run away with it.
                        It isn't surprising - if he were still alive Grumpy Cat could out poll that field.

It is funny, though - and getting pretty late to still see this.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

In a perfect world, media coverage would not pre-determine who the frontrunners are going to be and each candidate could make their case. There seem to be two candidates who actually have good ideas and could ideally rise to the top (I'm thinking Andrew Yang and Tulsi Gabbard).
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

In a perfect world, media coverage would not pre-determine who the frontrunners are going to be and each candidate could make their case. There seem to be two candidates who actually have good ideas and could ideally rise to the top (I'm thinking Andrew Yang and Tulsi Gabbard).
                            Ironically, it was the media that helped propel Trump to front-runner status during the Republican primary because they thought Hillary would make short work of him. They've been regretting that decision ever since.

They would have been much better off with a creampuff Republican like Jeb or Kasich who would have been happy to take it on the chin and lose with grace.
                            Last edited by Mountain Man; 10-16-2019, 03:08 PM.

Comment

I agree with the first part but I'm no fan of Yang or Gabbard.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment