Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Crying out to the LORD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crying out to the LORD

I don't like the evil in the world, so i pray about it. Even though it doesn't affect me personally. Why do I care so much about fellow humans that I don't know? I don't know them, but God does and I want the oppressors and bullies of the world to repent and come to Jesus for salvation. I want the oppressed to find their true hope in Christ. I want innocent babies to not be killed. And I know God hates evil more than I ever could. I trust that He knows what He is doing. I can still cry out to the Lord on the behalf of others anyway, right?
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    I don't like the evil in the world, so i pray about it. Even though it doesn't affect me personally. Why do I care so much about fellow humans that I don't know? I don't know them, but God does and I want the oppressors and bullies of the world to repent and come to Jesus for salvation. I want the oppressed to find their true hope in Christ. I want innocent babies to not be killed. And I know God hates evil more than I ever could. I trust that He knows what He is doing. I can still cry out to the Lord on the behalf of others anyway, right?
    Absolutely you can cry out to the Lord. I know of no Bible verse that says this isn't a permitted petition to bring to God.

I suggest that as soon as you know about an evil, whether it's close to you or far, far away, it affects you. Just the knowledge of evil drags us down. Now I think God more wants us to fight the evil we can than pray about the distant evil that besides prayer we can do nothing about. Yet to repeat, that I know of no reason not bring those petitions to God.

You have a heart for having the world restored to as God intended it to be. Seeing the world as it is, should make us grieve for the damage, pray for change, and seek what we can minister to.

"For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Am I bugging God if I keep praying for Him to please intervene in this pandemic? I might have been asking for a miracle?

Comment

Am I bugging God if I keep praying for Him to please intervene in this pandemic? I might have been asking for a miracle?
        I don't think it's possible for a believer to bug God. (It might be possible for an unbeliever but that's off topic.) I suggest that you take a look at the Parable of the Corrupt Judge (Luke 18:1-8) especially verses 6 & 7. To me, they speak to your concern.

You may be asking for a miracle. In a way, anytime God intervenes in the world, it is a miracle. Just be ready in case he says no.
        "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

Comment

I have the attitude that it would be great if He intervened, but I will trust in Him no matter what He does. After all, no matter what happens, there is the final Ressurection.

Comment

I've been pondering about your post. I know in most services to some extend, the congregation confesses their individual sins either aloud in some form of group confession or silently. This is something we should do as Christians.

Yet I wonder if there is a place for an occassional service to confess that the world is full of sin. We commit our own sins and yet we are also impacted by the sins of others. I am always affected by sin but not always sin of my making.

What do you think? Is there is a place for a service along the lines of "Lord, this world is filled with sin and it grieves You and us. This world doesn't work as You intended it to. Help us to deal with the sorrow and the pain."

Comment