Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

what is the threat of antinomianism?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Antinomianism is the teaching that it does not matter how Christians behave or how many sins they commit; that as long as they accept the resurrection as a historical fact, they will go to heaven. I maintain this gives people a false sense of security that they are saved when they are headed straight to hell on their current paths.
    This is very popular and by far the most common view among Christians in my country.

Comment

There are no specific instructions for Christians in the OT. (There were no Christians in the OT). Jesus said, "You have heard it said of old...but I tell you..". In the OT it was okay to hate enemies for example but in the NT we have to love our enemies. This is why it can get tricky even if you as a Christian are not properly schooled in the NT and mix OT and NT incorrectly. The most difficult commandment and requirement of us as Christians is the love one.

We are saved by grace through faith unto good works. This is the full picture. Much like Repent and believe. Not just believe. The NT is full of how Christians cannot earn their salvation, but once they are saved they are required to show accompanying fruits and works. The worst and most devastating thing for a believer in Christ to imagine is Him telling us to, "depart from Me I never knew you".
      Last edited by Esther; 10-20-2019, 03:40 PM.

Comment

...no, not even close to my view.
        Yeah, I'm trying to figure out how he got that.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

So you're accepting this person's definition of antinomianism and using it in your own post about how you don't see it as a threat, to be clear?

The way this person is using the term seems to be at odds with how most people use it.
          I didn't get a clear definition of what he meant by antinomianism. The guy's concern seemed to be about people not paying attention to OT law.

The impression I got was that he felt that inattention to the OT would mean that someone would go wildly into fleshly behavior. Mind you, he didn't express the concern in this manner. But his concern was the reason for me creating this thread.

So my question partly has been "is your antinomian concern about not heeding OT passages or is the concern about NT laws or are both laws the same?"
          Last edited by mikewhitney; 10-20-2019, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Esther
            The worst and most devastating thing for a believer in Christ to imagine is Him telling us to, "depart from Me I never knew you".
            No such thing will ever occur.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
              This is your chance to give more detail on your concept of antinomianism.

The issue I was exploring was not exactly the definition but what the concern is. The person I spoke to seemed to think that the lack of attention to the OT law would make you antinomian.
              I am not sure what clarification is needed, or why this other person's thinking is relevant to mine. Paul is quite clear that OT law is not normative for Christians. In my estimation, which seems to be the overwhelmingly predominant view, antinomianism is the idea that actions do not matter, so there is no need to reform one's life in accordance with moral law; belief is sufficient for salvation.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
                Originally posted by Esther
                The worst and most devastating thing for a believer in Christ to imagine is Him telling us to, "depart from Me I never knew you".
                No such thing will ever occur.
                Matthew 25:31-46 and Luke 13:22-30 put the lie to your assertion.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  belief is sufficient for salvation.
                  So faith is not sufficient for salvation?
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                    So faith is not sufficient for salvation?
                    Faith without repentance is meaningless.

sigpic

Comment

I am not sure what clarification is needed, or why this other person's thinking is relevant to mine. Paul is quite clear that OT law is not normative for Christians. In my estimation, which seems to be the overwhelmingly predominant view, antinomianism is the idea that actions do not matter, so there is no need to reform one's life in accordance with moral law; belief is sufficient for salvation.
                      Thanks. This info is quite helpful. I agree with your observation about Paul and the OT law.

I was listening to part of a series of videos talking about antinomianism and good works. I disagreed with at least the impression generated from the idea that good works are in accord with the law of God. The statement might be acceptable if the idea is that good works don't act contrary to the wisdom within the law. I would say that good works are not listed in the OT law ... and are only pointed in the right direction by the loving God and loving your neighbor. Of course, we are best pointed in the right direction by Christ in us, yet it takes additional provisions from God to stay on track.

Comment

Faith without repentance is meaningless.
                        So faith and the work of repentance?
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

So faith and the work of repentance?
                          What is your definition of "faith"?
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

What is your definition of "faith"?
                            Trust in Christ Jesus for EVERYTHING! Because nothing good lives in my flesh...

Comment

Trust in Christ Jesus for EVERYTHING! Because nothing good lives in my flesh...
                              We were created in the image and likeness of God. That image is damaged from the Fall, but it is still there. Your view verges on Gnostic, not Christian.

sigpic

Comment

To believe just means to accept that he has given you eternal life -- i.e., the very thing you deny.

Comment