Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: what is the threat of antinomianism?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    And CP you follow Christ's commands? You love God with ALL your heart? You really love your neighbor as yourself?
    That's where Grace comes in, Seer. God knows the intent of my heart, and that in my own strength I am weak.

How many works does it take to receive this salvation?
    None. Unless you define accepting Him as Savior a "work".
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

2. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewhitney View Post
    my thoughts now...

The threat of antinomianism is not a big issue.

First, the Law of Moses was written for the Israel tribes within the Mosaic covenant. (Rom 3:19-20)

The letter of the Law went away for various reasons -- part of which was that Christians don't have the same circumstances. We don't have a land dedicated to us. Nor are Christians under threat of 'pagan' religions as were the Israel tribes.

There were problems of adherence to the letter of the law. People exalted the law over against a focus on God. People judged each other based on faulty definitions of what the law required.

Christians are under the law of Christ -- but this is basically two commandments.

Paul wasn't giving permission to do all sorts of evil. He even spoke against bad behavior, but in a fashion to avoid getting people focused on the OT law.

Yet, the OT scriptures were still important to guide people who were going off the deep end. Paul told Timothy that the scriptures were good for reproof, for correction. So we do find God's will expressed -- and thus God's guidance.

It is not the typical Christian who would be inclined to live an unruly life. I would just apply antinomianism as a description of people dead set against living decently. I wouldn't apply the term to describe someone who didn't care to read the OT and learn its laws.
    You seem to be making up your own definition of antinomianism and declaring that to be not a big issue. There are a whole lot of Christians who don't seem to make any effort to live a godly life, and are different people in church and out of church. They may not explicitly endorse antinomianism, but that's how they live their lives. That, to me, is a big issue.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

4. Amen KingsGambit, Teallaura amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    You seem to be making up your own definition of antinomianism and declaring that to be not a big issue. There are a whole lot of Christians who don't seem to make any effort to live a godly life, and are different people in church and out of church. They may not explicitly endorse antinomianism, but that's how they live their lives. That, to me, is a big issue.
    This is your chance to give more detail on your concept of antinomianism.

The issue I was exploring was not exactly the definition but what the concern is. The person I spoke to seemed to think that the lack of attention to the OT law would make you antinomian.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    As you might gather from my sig, I don't consider it much of a threat at all.

IMO, the two "gutters" are antinomianism and legalism. In practical terms, it is impossible to navigate a path precisely equidistant between the two, and so I'm determined to always err in the antinomian direction.

I don't consider even the Decalogue "binding" except in the NT formulation of "Love one another," and even then I don't consider perfection to be required.
    Wouldn't it be better to lean in the legalist direction if you had to go one way or the other? If you look at Paul's letters, you get the distinct impression it's not as big a deal to lean in the legalist direction. He talks about accommodating the weaker brother in that manner. It doesn't affect your salvation to be too legalistic. But with the constant warnings about failure to persevere, sins that will exclude you from eternal life, etc. in the New Testament, going too far in the other direction certainly can affect your salvation.
    Last edited by KingsGambit; 10-19-2019 at 07:10 PM.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewhitney View Post
    This is your chance to give more detail on your concept of antinomianism.

The issue I was exploring was not exactly the definition but what the concern is. The person I spoke to seemed to think that the lack of attention to the OT law would make you antinomian.
    So you're accepting this person's definition of antinomianism and using it in your own post about how you don't see it as a threat, to be clear?

The way this person is using the term seems to be at odds with how most people use it.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Wouldn't it be better to lean in the legalist direction if you had to go one way or the other? If you look at Paul's letters, you get the distinct impression it's not as big a deal to lean in the legalist direction. He talks about accommodating the weaker brother in that manner. It doesn't affect your salvation to be too legalistic. But with the constant warnings about failure to persevere, sins that will exclude you from eternal life, etc. in the New Testament, going too far in the other direction certainly can affect your salvation.
    Nope, not gonna burden myself that way. In Col. 2, Paul exhorts his readers to "not submit" to various strictures, and affirms they are of "no value" against "fleshly indulgence," and in fact may even *cause* it (NET). Gal. 5:4 warns of the potential damning harm of focusing on laws.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Nationalist.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    That's where Grace comes in, Seer. God knows the intent of my heart, and that in my own strength I am weak.

None. Unless you define accepting Him as Savior a "work".
    You are confusing me CP, you said:

Not sure I understand what you're asking, but to me, the problem is not understanding Grace through Faith, and the whole "you are my disciples if you obey my commands" thing.

You just said that you do not keep God's commands: Loving Him with all your heart and your neighbor as yourself - does that mean you are not his disciple?

And you said:

The threat, as KG so aptly pointed out, is the false sense of security in Salvation. AND, the leading astray of others to miss out on what it takes to receive Salvation.

How many works must we have before we have a secure sense of salvation?
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

10. Amen Obsidian amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Leaning on the crutch of legalism can also endanger salvation.

I understand the correct 'formula' to be 'show it because you believe it', not 'believe it because you show it'.

12. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Not sure I understand what you're asking, but to me, the problem is not understanding Grace through Faith, and the whole "you are my disciples if you obey my commands" thing.

You just said that you do not keep God's commands: Loving Him with all your heart and your neighbor as yourself - does that mean you are not his disciple?

And you said:

The threat, as KG so aptly pointed out, is the false sense of security in Salvation. AND, the leading astray of others to miss out on what it takes to receive Salvation.

I believe you've take some liberties with "what I said", brother -- I'll come back after Church to address this.

14. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Actually, here's what I said...

Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Personally, I've always considered myself a "New Testament Christian". I don't follow the OT dietary, civil, or ceremonial laws, but the OT moral laws are kinda hard to chunk.

And the reason I said it that way is because I don't think the dietary, civil or ceremonial laws apply to me - but the moral laws do.

And you said:

That sounds closer to something I actually said, but it would help if you used actual quotes.

I think you're being too literal here. If I'm saved, I'm saved. If I'm not living for Jesus, there won't be much (if any) evidence of my faith, which would make me a pretty poor witness.