Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: what is the threat of antinomianism?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The phrase "false sense of security in salvation," at least in the context you're using it, implies that someone can believe on Christ for salvation and be let down.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    The phrase "false sense of security in salvation," at least in the context you're using it, implies that someone can believe on Christ for salvation and be let down.
    So, let me be clear - when I say "false sense of security in salvation" I mean, for example, somebody who thinks they're saved because their good deeds outweigh their bad deeds, or they give money to the church, or they are a member of a particular church -- none of which actually save you.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I mean, for example, somebody who thinks they're saved because their good deeds outweigh their bad deeds, or they give money to the church, or they are a member of a particular church
    In other words, someone like KingsGambit.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    In other words, someone like KingsGambit.
    ...no, not even close to my view.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Faith
    Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Antinomianism is the teaching that it does not matter how Christians behave or how many sins they commit; that as long as they accept the resurrection as a historical fact, they will go to heaven. I maintain this gives people a false sense of security that they are saved when they are headed straight to hell on their current paths.
    This is very popular and by far the most common view among Christians in my country.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    There are no specific instructions for Christians in the OT. (There were no Christians in the OT). Jesus said, "You have heard it said of old...but I tell you..". In the OT it was okay to hate enemies for example but in the NT we have to love our enemies. This is why it can get tricky even if you as a Christian are not properly schooled in the NT and mix OT and NT incorrectly. The most difficult commandment and requirement of us as Christians is the love one.

We are saved by grace through faith unto good works. This is the full picture. Much like Repent and believe. Not just believe. The NT is full of how Christians cannot earn their salvation, but once they are saved they are required to show accompanying fruits and works. The worst and most devastating thing for a believer in Christ to imagine is Him telling us to, "depart from Me I never knew you".
    Last edited by Esther; 10-20-2019 at 02:40 PM.

8. Amen Cow Poke, Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    ...no, not even close to my view.
    Yeah, I'm trying to figure out how he got that.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    So you're accepting this person's definition of antinomianism and using it in your own post about how you don't see it as a threat, to be clear?

The way this person is using the term seems to be at odds with how most people use it.
    I didn't get a clear definition of what he meant by antinomianism. The guy's concern seemed to be about people not paying attention to OT law.

The impression I got was that he felt that inattention to the OT would mean that someone would go wildly into fleshly behavior. Mind you, he didn't express the concern in this manner. But his concern was the reason for me creating this thread.

So my question partly has been "is your antinomian concern about not heeding OT passages or is the concern about NT laws or are both laws the same?"
    Last edited by mikewhitney; 10-20-2019 at 06:46 PM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Esther
    The worst and most devastating thing for a believer in Christ to imagine is Him telling us to, "depart from Me I never knew you".
    No such thing will ever occur.