Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: what is the threat of antinomianism?

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Not sure I understand what you're asking, but to me, the problem is not understanding Grace through Faith, and the whole "you are my disciples if you obey my commands" thing.
    And what do you consider to be Jesus' commandments? Just stuff in the NT or also stuff in the OT?

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Thanks people for discussing this. I'm not trying to be contrary. I just want to see how people perceive antinomianism.

Another question could be "Can a person be an ethically concerned and abiding Christian without having an interest or concern for the OT laws?"
    Last edited by mikewhitney; 10-17-2019 at 03:28 PM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewhitney View Post
    Thanks people for discussing this. I'm not trying to be contrary. I just want to see how people perceive antinomianism.
    Do you have a definition in mind?
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    And what do you consider to be Jesus' commandments? Just stuff in the NT or also stuff in the OT?
    Personally, I've always considered myself a "New Testament Christian". I don't follow the OT dietary, civil, or ceremonial laws, but the OT moral laws are kinda hard to chunk.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

5. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zymologist View Post
    Do you have a definition in mind?
    I have certain ideas bouncing around in my head. Thanks for asking.

My questions are rubbing against the edges of my ideas on OT and NT law.
    Last edited by mikewhitney; 10-17-2019 at 03:36 PM.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Personally, I've always considered myself a "New Testament Christian". I don't follow the OT dietary, civil, or ceremonial laws, but the OT moral laws are kinda hard to chunk.
    Hard to chunk? I don't speak Texan (and I am working on writing in standard English) Do you mean that it is hard to define exactly how (technically/theologically) the OT moral laws fit into the Christian law?

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    So, you looked it up online. Does this mean that you have not been concerned about antinomian behavior by people?
    No. I wanted to bounce my internal presumption against what others think as a crosscheck.

The first bit I didn't need to look up.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Hard to chunk? I don't speak Texan (and I am working on writing in standard English) Do you mean that it is hard to define exactly how (technically/theologically) the OT moral laws fit into the Christian law?
    Sorry - to "chunk" something means to throw it away. "I didn't like the taco, and even Jake wouldn't eat it, so I chunked it".

Start with the 10 commandments -- I can't think of anything that a New Testament Christian would find objectionable, with the caveat that #6 is about murder, not killing.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    This isn't a new problem in Christianity at all. James and Paul both address it, and Pelagius got started on his infamous path by asking what was actually a perfectly reasonable question: Why do Christians and non-Christians act so similarly?
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    This isn't a new problem in Christianity at all. James and Paul both address it, and Pelagius got started on his infamous path by asking what was actually a perfectly reasonable question: Why do Christians and non-Christians act so similarly?
    But James was nomian and Paul was antinomian -- I'm kidding, sorta. This current discussion was triggered in my head by the one about Paul and James.

I was talking to a guy (about a month ago) at church who got concerned about antinomiamism. So I wondered what his fear was about. I'm not planning on asking him for any more detail on this. But I became curious what others may think on this.
    Last edited by mikewhitney; 10-17-2019 at 03:56 PM.