Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: what is the threat of antinomianism?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    95% of Christians are antinomian. Everyone who isn't a theonomist is an antinomian. By King's Gambit's (false) rubric, pretty much everyone is going to hell.

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Sorry - to "chunk" something means to throw it away. "I didn't like the taco, and even Jake wouldn't eat it, so I chunked it".
    Equivalent, perhaps, to "chuck" in other parts of the country.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Nationalist.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

3. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    As you might gather from my sig, I don't consider it much of a threat at all.

IMO, the two "gutters" are antinomianism and legalism. In practical terms, it is impossible to navigate a path precisely equidistant between the two, and so I'm determined to always err in the antinomian direction.

I don't consider even the Decalogue "binding" except in the NT formulation of "Love one another," and even then I don't consider perfection to be required.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Nationalist.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    Equivalent, perhaps, to "chuck" in other parts of the country.
    Hmmmm... perhaps!

And when you accidentally knock something over, especially if it's like a cup of coffee or a coke, you "tump it out" or "tump it over".
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

6. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Hmmmm... perhaps!

And when you accidentally knock something over, especially if it's like a cup of coffee or a coke, you "tump it out" or "tump it over".
    I'm checking if there is a class to learn Texan or if google can translate Texan to English.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewhitney View Post
    I'm checking if there is a class to learn Texan or if google can translate Texan to English.
    That's a little more difficult than it sounds, cause Texas has 5 distinct regions, and people up in East Texas (Tyler and thereabouts) don't talk like people from West Texas (Midland/Odessa), then there's "El Norte" along the Texas/Mexico border...

The Five States of Texas

All that said, I don't have an accent. Everybody else talks funny.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

9. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    so there are actually 54 states in the USofA. So people who said there are 52 states are sort of right if they actually include the jokers

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewhitney View Post
    so there are actually 54 states in the USofA. So people who said there are 52 states are sort of right if they actually include the jokers
    To me, the West Texas accent (Midland/Odessa) and the East Texas accent (Tyler, the "piney woods", along the border of Louisiana) are the most... um... "different".

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    my thoughts now...

The threat of antinomianism is not a big issue.

First, the Law of Moses was written for the Israel tribes within the Mosaic covenant. (Rom 3:19-20)

The letter of the Law went away for various reasons -- part of which was that Christians don't have the same circumstances. We don't have a land dedicated to us. Nor are Christians under threat of 'pagan' religions as were the Israel tribes.

There were problems of adherence to the letter of the law. People exalted the law over against a focus on God. People judged each other based on faulty definitions of what the law required.

Christians are under the law of Christ -- but this is basically two commandments.

Paul wasn't giving permission to do all sorts of evil. He even spoke against bad behavior, but in a fashion to avoid getting people focused on the OT law.

Yet, the OT scriptures were still important to guide people who were going off the deep end. Paul told Timothy that the scriptures were good for reproof, for correction. So we do find God's will expressed -- and thus God's guidance.

It is not the typical Christian who would be inclined to live an unruly life. I would just apply antinomianism as a description of people dead set against living decently. I wouldn't apply the term to describe someone who didn't care to read the OT and learn its laws.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Not sure I understand what you're asking, but to me, the problem is not understanding Grace through Faith, and the whole "you are my disciples if you obey my commands" thing.
    And CP you follow Christ's commands? You love God with ALL your heart? You really love your neighbor as yourself?

The threat, as KG so aptly pointed out, is the false sense of security in Salvation. AND, the leading astray of others to miss out on what it takes to receive Salvation.
    How many works does it take to receive this salvation?
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

14. Amen Obsidian, NorrinRadd amen'd this post.