Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The obvious has been officially confirmed ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    Makes sense CP. That would be a judgement call.
    Agreed. Sometimes, it's necessary to yell - like when somebody is backing their car into yours in the parking lot. That's NOT a time for quiet back channel diplomacy.

Whatever has been done on that front, MM is still in a fantasyland regarding the issue, and he asked me to trust him that he has been keeping current with and understands the circumstances. Given he still maintains someone somehow altered the data that shows the gaps towards the monument, I have very good reason to doubt his capacity to reason logically on these matters.
    I honestly don't care (and no disrespect to you whatsoever - it's just a fact) because we all know Trump tends to exaggerate things bigly, and it really doesn't matter a hill of beans to me (or even one single bean) what the crowd size was.

I just see no value whatsoever in prosecuting this particular war.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I dont think you know what that means. And I was always taught silence in the face of something wrong is tacit approval.

Again, I dont know of one person in the 'we are against the MSM camp' here at tweb that has spoken up and let it be known the crowd size nuttery from the Trump side is dead wrong. Even when the thread was active and we were all arguing the point.
      Jim,

When someone says they're not interested in debate with you on a particular topic, you should not assume WHY they are not interested. That is mind-reading. I don't really care who is right or wrong on this topic, so projecting tacit approval of one side or the other here is, again, mind-reading.

I will not be responding further, because I don't care and you appear to be determined to project the last word. Fine. It's all yours.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

And that line would be your current obsession pix.
        Sayeth the person always screaming the sky is falling on all things Trump. Just look at your obsession here with Trump on crowd sizes. Your obsession with finding evil in everything he says and does is as obvious as the nose on your face. You simply deny it because it makes you look crazy.
        Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 10-30-2019, 04:13 PM.
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          Jim,

When someone says they're not interested in debate with you on a particular topic, you should not assume WHY they are not interested. That is mind-reading. I don't really care who is right or wrong on this topic, so projecting tacit approval of one side or the other here is, again, mind-reading.

I will not be responding further, because I don't care and you appear to be determined to project the last word. Fine. It's all yours.
          I was, in fact, referring to those engaging with me in the debate at the time, or in conversations that have popped up here and there about it. I am not talking about people that have never involved themselves in that particular debate.

Jim
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
            Sayeth the person always screaming the sky is falling on all things Trump.
            That is your own particular madness pix. When I am addressing Trump, I am almost always addressing a specific action or event. Most of time when I talk about Trump in generalities, it is a response to someone like yourself launching themselves into orbit and making general accusations as to why I am bringing up a particular thing Trump is doing that is a problem. You see, what you can't see is that when I raise an issue about something Trump is doing, it is the thing he is doing and its consequences that is prompting me to say something - not the fact it is Trump doing it. Of course, the fact Trump is POTUS brings what he is doing into the public view far more often than someone else, and as POTUS he has the capacity to do things that affect far more people than most. But again, that is not because of Trump, but because he is POTUS. So what you need to wrap your head around Pix is that if the things he is doing were not bad, I would not be talking about Trump. And the simple fact is, if Donald Trump were to suddenly become a decent human being and start using the office of POTUS to doing truly good things and stop doing all the bad things, what you would hear out of me about him would also change.

It is the 'something Trump is doing' that brings me into these discussions, not that it is 'Trump doing something'.
            Last edited by oxmixmudd; 10-30-2019, 04:25 PM.
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              MM is a big boy - you two can fight it out or hug it out.
              I gave him the link if he wants to rehash the inauguration crowd size debate, and if he bothers to post there, I'll take a look and see if it's anything worth responding to; otherwise, I said everything I cared to say three-years ago when the thread was active, and I'm content to let the matter rest. Jim's the one who doesn't seem to be able to let it go.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                I've said it before and I'll say it again, the more the Democrats waste their time with this pursuit the less of a chance they'll have. There's just not much dirt there to be found. What they should focus on is their politics, their candidates, and figuring out what direction they should be heading. Right now they're stuck in a mindset of "Business as usual will win" and that won't work going forward. They'll have to figure themselves out at the moment.

But that requires a lot more effort and work, than the temptation of a simple "We can win with a gotcha" approach.
                The biggest problem with their messaging is that they haven't given a good reason for anybody to actually vote for them. It's all been "Don't vote for Trump! Don't vote for Trump!" Okay, so who should we vote for?
                Last edited by Mountain Man; 10-30-2019, 04:36 PM.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  I gave him the link if he wants to rehash the inauguration crowd size debate, and if he bothers to post there, I'll take a look and see if it's anything worth responding to; otherwise, I said everything I cared to say three-years ago when the thread was active, and I'm content to let the matter rest. Jim's the one who doesn't seem to be able to let it go.

Actually you are right in a sense.

Your incapacity to reason logically about that issue does mean that I will not and should trust your capacity to reason logically about other matters. It shows - more than just a lack of technical understanding - a lack of capacity to recognize when you lack technical understanding and even more importantly an inability to learn or admit error when it would mean admitting Trump was wrong. And as a result, I would be a fool to 'let that go', i.e. to ignore the fact that is the mind I am interacting with. I say that not to disparage you MM, but that is simply the lesson of that thread until and unless something changes.

Of course, I accept my responsibility to make my case against your reasoning on each issue. And I accept that sometimes you'll be right and I'll be wrong. That thread does not justify me dismissing any current argument you are making. The only reason it came up here is you mentioned the phrase 'trust me' in terms of accepting you've analyzed the data thoroughly. And - of course - that would be a fools errand for the reasons already cited.

Comment

The biggest problem with their messaging is that they haven't given a good reason for anybody to actually vote for them. It's all been "Don't vote for Trump! Don't vote for Trump!" Okay, so who should we vote for?
                    I will admit that is a problem. But on that front, it's like a really deadly disease that has a cure. The medicine or procedure itself might make you really, really sick for a while, but as long as it is not as deadly as the disease you've got, and as long as if it works it gets rid of the terminal thing you've got, it's worth it.

Jim

Comment

The biggest problem is Trump, and the need to get the lawless authoritarian out of the White house. But you musn't have watched the debates, impeaching Trump was rarely even mentioned. The Democrat candidates can walk and chew gum at the same time even if you can't keep up with them. It's the same with the House Impeachment investigation, even though that's all you hear about the House has passed much legislation on to the do nothing Senate.

Comment

That is your own particular madness pix. When I am addressing Trump, I am almost always addressing a specific action or event. Most of time when I talk about Trump in generalities, it is a response to someone like yourself launching themselves into orbit and making general accusations as to why I am bringing up a particular thing Trump is doing that is a problem. You see, what you can't see is that when I raise an issue about something Trump is doing, it is the thing he is doing and its consequences that is prompting me to say something - not the fact it is Trump doing it. Of course, the fact Trump is POTUS brings what he is doing into the public view far more often than someone else, and as POTUS he has the capacity to do things that affect far more people than most. But again, that is not because of Trump, but because he is POTUS. So what you need to wrap your head around Pix is that if the things he is doing were not bad, I would not be talking about Trump. And the simple fact is, if Donald Trump were to suddenly become a decent human being and start using the office of POTUS to doing truly good things and stop doing all the bad things, what you would hear out of me about him would also change.

It is the 'something Trump is doing' that brings me into these discussions, not that it is 'Trump doing something'.
                        And there’s your gaslighting again because what I said is true and you have no response. Look at you on this crowd size thing, you act as though not wanting to spend your time debating such a silly thing is enemies at the gate and opening the floodgates to every kind of evil. You’re obsessed, and to an unhealthy degree at that. Everyone sees it, but you.
                        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                          The biggest problem is Trump, and the need to get the lawless authoritarian out of the White house. But you musn't have watched the debates, impeaching Trump was rarely even mentioned. The Democrat candidates can walk and chew gum at the same time even if you can't keep up with them. It's the same with the House Impeachment investigation, even though that's all you hear about the House has passed much legislation on to the do nothing Senate.
                          While spending their days dodging the fact all their grand plans will cost trillions and raise taxes through the roof.
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

And there’s your gaslighting again because what I said is true and you have no response. Look at you on this crowd size thing, you act as though not wanting to spend your time debating such a silly thing is enemies at the gate and opening the floodgates to every kind of evil. You’re obsessed, and to an unhealthy degree at that. Everyone sees it, but you.
                            Now you've really wondered off into who knows where. 1) I said that no one involved in that debate owned up to how insanely stupid the Trump side of it was - which is a simple fact. 2) I was not trying to debate it again. I was saying the the position staked out by MM in that debate is so absurd, so inanely stupid that it means his capacity to reason objectively can't be trusted, and so I do not trust his capacity to reason objectively.

You are almost incoherent at this point pix. I'm concerned for you.

Comment

While spending their days dodging the fact all their grand plans will cost trillions and raise taxes through the roof.
                              So you've been told. What you ought to do is look see the rising debt under Trump at a time when there is no need for it and has done nothing for the economy as a whole. Btw, corporate investment is way down, the 3rd quarter GDP just came in at, I believe, !.9%. Didn't Trump tell you it would be 4 to 5%. So much for the tax cuts for the wealthy, the trickle down theory. Fooled ya'll again.

Comment

Now you've really wondered off into who knows where. 1) I said that no one involved in that debate owned up to how insanely stupid the Trump side of it was - which is a simple fact. 2) I was not trying to debate it again. I was saying the the position staked out by MM in that debate is so absurd, so inanely stupid that it means his capacity to reason objectively can't be trusted, and so I do not trust his capacity to reason objectively.

You are almost incoherent at this point pix. I'm concerned for you.
                                You’re gaslighting to avoid the uncomfortable truth of your inability to view anything Trump related, through an objective lens. Nobody cares about how large the crowd was, but your own obsession with anything Trump says or does has to be viewed through the lens that he is the most evil person that has ever lived and many of those that might try to reason with you or bother are turned off by your insanity. OBP told you the same thing I’m telling you now. How many people need to repeat it till you understand that the problem sits with you and your inability to be rational on all things Trump?
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment