Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The death of another YEC PRATT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The death of another YEC PRATT

YEC (Young Earth Creationism) 'reasons' to believe in a young earth (< 10,000 years) often are based on what is not known, something expected based on the implications of a sound theory but not yet found. And they have a way of suddenly vanishing as we learn more, or more data is gathered.

Certainly we've seen that evolution here on TWEB, one of the most striking perhaps being the discovery of extra-solar planets by the thousands, and abundant water within the solar system (no extra solar planets and abundant water unique to earth also used to be YEC 'evidences')

But this news reminded me of another:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG9x6tkf8mg

This is a hubble time lapse of a new comet moving through our solar system, one that hails from not the Oort cloud (another favorite target of YEC lore in the past), but interstellar space.

Once upon a time in YEC lore, the lack of verified interstellar comets was seen as an indication the Universe and the Earth where <10,000 years old.

A few years back we had ʻOumuamua, an interstellar rocky object, but not a comet.

This is an actual comet. And interestingly enough, it is a lot like our own local solar system comets, pointing to a common origin for such objects.

https://www.space.com/interstellar-c...ks-normal.html

Jim
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

If I might politely ask --- is the title a goof? Want me to fix it? (Thinking you meant YEC, not YET)
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      If I might politely ask --- is the title a goof? Want me to fix it? (Thinking you meant YEC, not YET)
      Try not to spell it YA'LL.

Comment

Yep - I meant YEC. I wish I would notice those thing before I push 'send' or 'commit'. My eyes just are not what they used to be. Maybe a friendly moderator could adjust that? Yes, please fix it

Jim
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
          Ya know, I was just thinking about that in another thread where we're talking about "talking Texan".... I have spelled "y'all" incorrectly my whole life up til you pointed that out.

It was such a glaringly obvious error, I don't even try to make excuses. It defies all grammeratically proper logic, yet there it was! I might have gone on to glory having never spelled "y'all" correctly had it not been for you.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
            Yep - I meant YEC. I wish I would notice those thing before I push 'send' or 'commit'. My eyes just are not what they used to be. Maybe a friendly moderator could adjust that? Yes, please fix it

Jim
            Well, you should be perfect like me - I NEVER type a title incorrectly!

(shut up, Rogue!)

Comment

Ya know, I was just thinking about that in another thread where we're talking about "talking Texan".... I have spelled "y'all" incorrectly my whole life up til you pointed that out.

It was such a glaringly obvious error, I don't even try to make excuses. It defies all grammeratically proper logic, yet there it was! I might have gone on to glory having never spelled "y'all" correctly had it not been for you.
              Pretty sure I'd mentioned it was a correction I once needed m'self, but seeing as it's still bugging ya, expect I'll use it again.

On the other hand, there's a whole lotta work I leave to Captain O, seeing as he's got starving NSAs to feed.

Comment

Pretty sure I'd mentioned it was a correction I once needed m'self, but seeing as it's still bugging ya, expect I'll use it again.
                I'd be disappointed if you didn't.

On the other hand, there's a whole lotta work I leave to Captain O, seeing as he's got starving NSAs to feed.

(I just wonder what OTHER abuses to the King's English I have ignorantly committed over the years)

The only reasoning I could come up with for spelling it like I did was how I pronounce it --- almost two syllables - ya all, emphasis on the second syllable.

Comment

(I just wonder what OTHER abuses to the King's English I have ignorantly committed over the years)
                  (I just wonder if there's EVER been a king who used it 'tall.)

Comment

No True Southerner™ ever would.

Y'all

And here's something to ponder

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                      YEC (Young Earth Creationism) 'reasons' to believe in a young earth (< 10,000 years) often are based on what is not known, something expected based on the implications of a sound theory but not yet found. And they have a way of suddenly vanishing as we learn more, or more data is gathered.

Certainly we've seen that evolution here on TWEB, one of the most striking perhaps being the discovery of extra-solar planets by the thousands, and abundant water within the solar system (no extra solar planets and abundant water unique to earth also used to be YEC 'evidences')

But this news reminded me of another:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG9x6tkf8mg

This is a hubble time lapse of a new comet moving through our solar system, one that hails from not the Oort cloud (another favorite target of YEC lore in the past), but interstellar space.

Once upon a time in YEC lore, the lack of verified interstellar comets was seen as an indication the Universe and the Earth where <10,000 years old.

A few years back we had ʻOumuamua, an interstellar rocky object, but not a comet.

This is an actual comet. And interestingly enough, it is a lot like our own local solar system comets, pointing to a common origin for such objects.

https://www.space.com/interstellar-c...ks-normal.html

Jim
                      Astronomy and Cosmology that continue to offer up evidence that the universe is older by a few magnitude that several thousand years.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

(shut up, Rogue!)
                        Who ME?

Lil ol me? Your favoritist twin brudder from anudder mudder?

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]40308[/ATTACH]
                          *learnt

As in, when I was a youngun, in Texas, I learnt to hate them far ents.

Comment

*learnt

As in, when I was a youngun, in Texas, I learnt to hate them far ents.
                            Old joke - what was the occupation of the three wise men? They were firemen - they came from a far.

(less bad spoken than typed)

Comment

Regardless of what it means for YECs, this is a very cool finding. Things with a stable orbit in the solar system have an eccentricity of less than 1. Those with an eccentricity of somewhat above one will pass by the sun once on a parabolic orbit. 'Oumuamua, our first interstellar visitor, had an eccentricity of about 1.2.

This new body has an eccentricity of over 3.

And yet, if it weren't for its trajectory, it would be indistinguishable from the comets of our own solar system, at least given the data we've been able to gather so far. It looks like a comet, is the right color, brightness, and size, and is forming a coma and a small tail. Which suggests we may have been seeing extrasolar visitors all along, but hadn't realized it.

There's currently a debate among astronomers about how often we should expect to see them, with estimates ranging from annually to one every couple hundred years. But everyone seems confident that a survey telescope coming online in about two years will let us spot local objects that are smaller or more distant than anything before, and will settle the argument.
                              "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment