Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Justice Department Distances Itself From Giuliani

radical strawberry
    Faith
    Humanist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    In other news, the Deep State (which the New York Times recently admitted is real) is sweating bullets over Durham's investigation. Coney and Brennan recently lawyered up.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...spygate-probe/

As reported in the Times and elsewhere, the "deep state" is a conspiracy theory which misses the obvious: The most aggressive push-backs against Trump have all come from his own appointees. Hence the "deep state," such as it is, is the state Trump brought in with him.

That would include Ambassador Yovanovich's replacement, Ambassador Taylor, brought in out of retirement, and quoted above retelling an account from the president relayed by Ambassador Sondland stating there was "no quid pro quo" before going on to flesh out the contradiction in excruciating detail in his opening statement, before testifying for a further nine hours before the committee.

An Envoy’s Damning Account of Trump’s Ukraine Pressure and Its Consequences
    William B. Taylor Jr. laid out in visceral terms the potentially life-or-death stakes of what he saw as an illegitimate scheme to pressure Kiev for political help by suspending American security aid.

By Peter Baker
    Published Oct. 22, 2019
    Updated Oct. 23, 2019, 6:10 a.m. ET

WASHINGTON — He stood on one side of a war-damaged bridge in Ukraine staring across at Russian-backed forces and saw the real-world consequences of President Trump’s efforts to advance a personal agenda. “More Ukrainians,” he said, “would undoubtedly die.”

[...]

In by far the most damning account yet to become public in the House impeachment inquiry Mr. Taylor described a president holding up $391 million in assistance for the clear purpose of forcing Ukraine to help incriminate Mr. Trump’s domestic rivals. Mr. Trump’s actions, he testified, undercut American allies desperately fighting off Russia’s attempt to redraw the boundaries of Europe through force.

It's almost immaterial at this point to note that no quid pro quo is required to determine that asking for foreign assistance in a U.S. election campaign is illegal. In fact, "collusion," all by itself, was, and oddly still is, judging from the cartoons posted in this thread, considered a serious breach with respect to the Russians. It's astounding to find Trump releasing a transcript of a call less than 24 hours after Mueller had finished his testimony before the congress showing exactly that with the newly-elected president of Ukraine.

The "quid" in this case, only suggested previously, included military assistance in support of not just Ukraine, but our own national security, needed by Ukraine to resist military attacks from Russia within their own sovereign territory. The "quo" was an investigation into various charges pushed by Giuliani and his recently-arrested companions that have been widely debunked, including charges from Lutsenko that Giuliani had himself previously acknowledged were bogus.

Read the Ukraine Envoy’s
    Statement to Impeachment Inquiry

OCT. 22, 2019

William B. Taylor Jr., the United States’ top diplomat in Ukraine, delivered testimony to impeachment investigators on Tuesday that described an effort by President Trump to withhold aid for Ukraine until the country’s leader agreed to investigate Mr. Trump’s political rivals. Read six takeaways from Mr. Taylor’s testimony.

During this same [September 1] phone call I had with Mr. Morrison, he went on to describe a conversation Ambassador Sondland had with Mr. Yermak at Warsaw. Ambassador Sondland told Mr. Yermak that the security assistance money would not come until President Zelenskyy committed to pursue the Burisma investigation. I was alarmed by what Mr. Morrison told me about the Sondland-Yermak conversation. This was the first time I had heard that the security assistance — not just the White House meeting — was conditioned on the investigations.

With respect to Zelinskyy, this is far beyond mere pressure. This was literally "gun to the head" coercion. As Taylor has said, without the aid then being withheld, “More Ukrainians would undoubtedly die.”

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtfloor View Post
    Factually incorrect and legally worthless, hot air. No, at this point it is just a matter of timing the articles of impeachment to be as embarrassing as possible to the Trump Clan of demonic reprobates.
    It's time to wake up, kiddo, Rachel is lying to you. Democrats do not have the facts on their side. It's why they refuse to make their impeachment inquiry official with a House vote, and why they refuse to open the door to their hearings, and it's why they won't ever actually vote to impeach, because if this thing ever gets to the Senate where everything will be out in the open, and Trump's lawyers will have the opportunity to tear witnesses like Taylor to shreds, then I think the public will be rightly furious at what the Democrats tried to pull. It's best for them politically to keep everything cloaked in darkness in order to string along low-info morons like you. Only Durham and Barr are about to drop the hammer, and the Democrats are quickly running out of time.

Stay tuned, because things are finally getting interesting!
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Juvenal View Post
    As report ed in the Times and elsewhere, the "deep state" is a conspiracy theory which misses the obvious: The most aggressive push-backs against Trump have all come from his own appointees. Hence the "deep state," such as it is, is the state Trump brought in with him.

That would include Ambassador Yovanovich's replacement, Ambassador Taylor, brought in out of retirement, and quoted above retelling an account from the president relayed by Ambassador Sondland stating there was "no quid pro quo" before going on to flesh out the contradiction in excruciating detail in his opening statement, before testifying for a further nine hours before the committee.

An Envoy’s Damning Account of Trump’s Ukraine Pressure and Its Consequences
    William B. Taylor Jr. laid out in visceral terms the potentially life-or-death stakes of what he saw as an illegitimate scheme to pressure Kiev for political help by suspending American security aid.

By Peter Baker
    Published Oct. 22, 2019
    Updated Oct. 23, 2019, 6:10 a.m. ET

WASHINGTON — He stood on one side of a war-damaged bridge in Ukraine staring across at Russian-backed forces and saw the real-world consequences of President Trump’s efforts to advance a personal agenda. “More Ukrainians,” he said, “would undoubtedly die.”

[...]

In by far the most damning account yet to become public in the House impeachment inquiry Mr. Taylor described a president holding up $391 million in assistance for the clear purpose of forcing Ukraine to help incriminate Mr. Trump’s domestic rivals. Mr. Trump’s actions, he testified, undercut American allies desperately fighting off Russia’s attempt to redraw the boundaries of Europe through force.

It's almost immaterial at this point to note that no quid pro quo is required to determine that asking for foreign assistance in a U.S. election campaign is illegal. In fact, "collusion," all by itself, was, and oddly still is, judging from the cartoons posted in this thread, considered a serious breach with respect to the Russians. It's astounding to find Trump releasing a transcript of a call less than 24 hours after Mueller had finished his testimony before the congress showing exactly that with the newly-elected president of Ukraine.

The "quid" in this case, only suggested previously, included military assistance in support of not just Ukraine, but our own national security, needed by Ukraine to resist military attacks from Russia within their own sovereign territory. The "quo" was an investigation into various charges pushed by Giuliani and his recently-arrested companions that have been widely debunked, including charges from Lutsenko that Giuliani had himself previously acknowledged were bogus.

Read the Ukraine Envoy’s
    Statement to Impeachment Inquiry

OCT. 22, 2019

William B. Taylor Jr., the United States’ top diplomat in Ukraine, delivered testimony to impeachment investigators on Tuesday that described an effort by President Trump to withhold aid for Ukraine until the country’s leader agreed to investigate Mr. Trump’s political rivals. Read six takeaways from Mr. Taylor’s testimony.

During this same [September 1] phone call I had with Mr. Morrison, he went on to describe a conversation Ambassador Sondland had with Mr. Yermak at Warsaw. Ambassador Sondland told Mr. Yermak that the security assistance money would not come until President Zelenskyy committed to pursue the Burisma investigation. I was alarmed by what Mr. Morrison told me about the Sondland-Yermak conversation. This was the first time I had heard that the security assistance — not just the White House meeting — was conditioned on the investigations.

With respect to Zelinskyy, this is far beyond mere pressure. This was literally "gun to the head" coercion. As Taylor has said, without the aid then being withheld, “More Ukrainians would undoubtedly die.”
    Read what Rep. Ratcliffe had to say. There is, to date, zero evidence that Ukraine officials were aware that military funds had been withheld making quid pro quo legally impossible. Not even Taylor disputed this fact when directly questioned!

radical strawberry
    Faith
    Humanist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Prosecutors flagged possible ties between Ukrainian gas tycoon and Giuliani associates
    By Matt Zapotosky, Rosalind S. Helderman, Tom Hamburger and Josh Dawsey
    Oct. 22, 2019 at 8:22 p.m. EDT

When two business associates of Rudolph W. Giuliani, President Trump’s personal lawyer, were arrested this month on charges that they funneled foreign money into U.S. elections, federal prosecutors working on a different case in Chicago took note.

The investigators had previously come across the two men, Lev Parnas and Igor Fruman, as they pursued a long-standing case against a Ukrainian gas tycoon accused of bribery, according to two people familiar with the matter. They, like others interviewed regarding the case, spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss the ongoing litigation.

The connections between Giuliani and these Ukrainian organized crime figures, becomes more pronounced each day, with unmistakable links to Trump which are bound to impact the impeachment inquiry and the eventual, foregone impeachment in the House and less certain trial in the Senate.

Parnas had been working as an interpreter for the lawyers of the tycoon, Dmytro Firtash, since late July. Chicago prosecutors suspect there might be a broader relationship among Firtash, Parnas and Fruman, the people familiar with the matter said.

The new focus on possible ties among the three men comes as the Ukrainian energy mogul has appeared to align himself with Trump and the president’s allies as he fights extradition to the United States.

This summer, Firtash — at Parnas’s recommendation — hired two conservative attorneys who are top defenders of the president.

Meanwhile, Parnas and Fruman, Soviet-born emigres with deep business ties in Ukraine, had been assisting Giuliani’s hunt for damaging information about Democrats in that country, an effort that is now the focus of the presidential impeachment inquiry.

Unlike others posting this thread in partisan approval of these investigations, for the good of the country, I think we really need to get past this. Ideally, Trump should resign, soon, or even immediately, allowing Pence to start cleaning up the mess and the Republican party to find a viable presidential candidate for 2020. That's not at all possible, though, with hundreds of prosecutors looking to indict Trump on obstruction charges the moment he leaves office.

Meanwhile, the rabbit hole keeps getting deeper, with Trump poised to drag as many as he can down with him.

radical strawberry
    Faith
    Humanist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Read what Rep. Ratcliffe had to say. There is, to date, zero evidence that Ukraine officials were aware that military funds had been withheld making quid pro quo legally impossible. Not even Taylor disputed this fact when directly questioned!
    They didn't know at the time of the July 25 phone call, but became aware after the August 28 Politico story, updated August 29, and cited by Ambassador Taylor.

Trump holds up Ukraine military aid meant to confront Russia
    By CAITLIN EMMA and CONNOR O’BRIEN 08/28/2019 06:11 PM EDT Updated 08/29/2019 03:40 PM EDT

The Trump administration is slow-walking $250 million in military assistance to Ukraine, annoying lawmakers and advocates who argue the funding is critical to keeping Russia at bay.

President Donald Trump asked his national security team to review the funding program, known as the Ukraine Security Assistance Initiative, in order to ensure the money is being used in the best interest of the United States, a senior administration official told POLITICO on Wednesday.

Contrary to your assertion, Taylor's opening statement referenced not only general Ukrainian awareness, but the actual Ukrainian official who contacted him about Ukrainian concerns about the withheld aid.

The same day that I sent my cable to the Secretary, August 29, Mr. Yermak contacted me and was very concerned, asking about the withheld security assistance. The hold that the White House had placed on the assistance had just been made public that day in a Politico story. At that point, I was embarrassed that I could give him no explanation for why it was withheld.

radical strawberry
    Faith
    Humanist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Ukraine Knew of Aid Freeze by August, Undermining Trump Defense
    Top officials were told in early August about the delay of $391 million in security assistance, undercutting a chief argument President Trump has used to deny any quid pro quo.

By Andrew E. Kramer and Kenneth P. Vogel
    Oct. 23, 2019
    Updated 12:12 p.m. ET

KIEV, Ukraine — To Democrats who say that President Trump’s decision to freeze a $391 million military aid package to Ukraine was intended to bully Ukraine’s leader into carrying out investigations for Mr. Trump’s political benefit, the president and his allies have had a simple response: There could not have been any quid pro quo because the Ukrainians did not know the assistance had been blocked.

Following testimony by William B. Taylor Jr., the top United States diplomat in Ukraine, to House impeachment investigators on Tuesday that the freezing of the aid was directly linked to Mr. Trump’s demand for the investigations, the president took to Twitter on Wednesday morning to approvingly quote a Republican member of Congress saying neither Mr. Taylor nor any other witness had “provided testimony that the Ukrainians were aware that military aid was being withheld.”

But in fact, word of the aid freeze had gotten to high-level Ukrainian officials by the first week in August, according to interviews and documents obtained by The New York Times.

The problem was not a bureaucratic glitch, the Ukrainians were told then. To address it, they were advised, they should reach out to Mick Mulvaney, the acting White House chief of staff, according to the interviews and records.

Apparently, Ukrainians were made aware of the aid freeze almost immediately after the July 25 call, and Mulvaney has some more explaining to do.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    “In 90 seconds, we had John Ratcliffe destroy Taylor’s whole argument,” McCarthy said. “We can’t really talk about it, but what we’re finding is just his questioning in 90 seconds refuted everything of what Adam Schiff leaves out there. There’s no quid pro quo, and what you find out in this process is all this information is just like that whistleblower. Remember, we haven’t seen that whistleblower. Everything is second-, third- and fourth-hand information.”

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2019...hole-argument/

Faith
    invalid value
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Russia “if you’re listening” has turned the GOP inside out. The idiotic Lindsey Graham and quite a few others are no more than Putin’s glove puppets.

God save Pelosi.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” ― Anne Lamott
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Now this is interesting...

U.S. Ambassador to Ukraine Bill Taylor, who provided key testimony to the Democrats’ controversial impeachment inquiry yesterday, has evidenced a close relationship with the Atlantic Council think tank, even writing Ukraine policy pieces with the organization’s director and analysis articles published by the Council.

The Atlantic Council is funded by and works in partnership with Burisma, the natural gas company at the center of allegations regarding Joe Biden and his son, Hunter Biden.

In addition to a direct relationship with the Atlantic Council, Taylor for the last nine years also served as a senior adviser to the U.S.-Ukraine Business Council (USUBC), which has co-hosted events with the Atlantic Council and has participated in events co-hosted jointly by the Atlantic Council and Burisma.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...ed-think-tank/

radical strawberry
    Faith
    Humanist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Now this is interesting...

[...]

The Atlantic Council is funded by and works in partnership with Burisma, the natural gas company at the center of allegations regarding Joe Biden and his son, Hunter Biden.
    Burisma is listed as a funder for the Atlantic Council, but is not in the top ranks of donors, and cannot be reasonably seen as exercising meaningful influence considering its minor position and the wide variety of funding sources.

Atlantic Council / Honor roll of contributors

$1,000,000+ Donations
    Adrienne Arsht
    British Foreign and Commonwealth Office
    Embassy of the United Arab Emirates to the United States
    Facebook, Inc.
    Bahaa R. Hariri

$500,000 – $999,999 Donations
    OCP Foundation
    Smith Richardson Foundation, Inc.
    System Capital Management
    United States Department of State
    The Wallenberg Foundations

$250,000 – $499,999 Donations
    Abu Dhabi National Oil Company
    Airbus Group SE
    J. Neal Blue
    Çalik Holding
    Cheniere Energy, Inc.
    Chevron Corporation
    Crescent Petroleum
    Embassy of Denmark to the United States
    HSBC Holdings plc
    The John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation
    Korea Foundation
    Limak Holding
    MNG Group of Companies
    Mubadala Development
    Company
    Open Society Foundations
    PKO Bank Polski
    Rockefeller Brothers Fund
    Saab North America, Inc.
    Swedish Ministry for Foreign Affairs
    James C. Temerty
    Trans-Oil International
    The Victor Pinchuk Foundation

$100,000 – $249,999 Donations
    Anonymous (2)
    APEX Brasil
    The Asfari Foundation
    Baker McKenzie
    Bank Pekao S.A.
    Blackstone Charitable Foundation
    BP America Inc.
    BP p.l.c.
    British Consulate General Istanbul
    Burisma
    Carnegie Corporation of New York
    Chopivsky Family Foundation
    CNN
    Dentons
    Discovery Communications
    Edelman
    Embassy of Japan to the United States
    Eni S.p.A.
    Etihad Airways
    General Atomics
    Google, Inc.
    Ambassador C. Boyden Gray
    Anis Haggar
    HNA Group
    Yongsoo Huh
    Instituto de Empresa, S.L.
    Lockheed Martin Corporation
    Magyar Foundation of North America
    David McCormick and Dina Powell
    Ministry of Energy and Industry of the United Arab Emirates
    Dr. Alexander V. Mirtchev
    Ambassador Richard Morningstar
    Ploughshares Fund
    Raytheon Company
    RBC Foundation
    Royal Norwegian Ministry of Defence
    Royal Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs
    S&P Global
    Schultz Family Foundation
    SICPA HOLDING SA
    SK Group
    SNSPA Romania
    Squire Patton Boggs
    Starbucks Coffee Company
    Tellurian Inc.
    Total Wine & More
    Twenty-First Century Fox, Inc.
    Twitter, Inc.
    Ukrlandfarming Plc
    United States Air Force Academy
    United States Department of Defense
    United Technologies Corporation
    Ambassador Ronald Weiser

$50,000 – $99,000 Donations
    Robert J. Abernethy
    Accenture
    AM General, LLC
    ANA Holdings
    Arabia Foundation
    Ayman Asfari
    Beretta USA Corporation
    Alice and Tom Blair
    The Boeing Company
    Café Milano
    Michael Calvey
    Center for International Strategic Studies
    Ahmed Charai
    Cigna Corporation
    ClearPath Foundation
    Danish Ministry of Defence
    Embassy of Australia to the United States
    EmiTel S.A.
    Equinor Gulf Services
    ExxonMobil Corporation
    EY Geostrategic Business Group
    Fincantieri Marine Group
    The Hon. Robert S. Gelbard
    Gemini Industries, Inc.
    Grid Market Research
    Stephen Hadley
    Hanesbrands Inc.
    The Howard Baker Forum
    The Hungary Initiatives Foundation
    Hunt Consolidated, Inc.
    Ian Ihnatowycz
    Insurance Information Institute
    Nicole and Andre Kelleners
    Kibar Holding
    Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung
    Krauss-Maffei Wegmann
    Lane Power & Energy Solutions, Inc.
    Leonardo S.p.A.
    M.H. Alshaya Co.
    McLarty Associates
    Microsoft Corporation
    Ministry of Defense of the Republic of Lithuania
    Ministry of Finance, Japan
    Alexey Mordashov
    Nestlé S.A.
    Noble Energy
    Ahmet M. Oren
    Petrofac
    W. DeVier Pierson
    S.C. Johnson & Son, Inc.
    Safran
    SAIC
    Semnani Family Foundation
    Omar Shawaf
    Dr. Kris Singh
    Statoil Gulf Services
    Tekfen
    Textron Inc.
    Thomson Reuters
    Total S.A.
    TÜPRAŞ
    United States Air Force
    Venture Global LNG, Inc.
    Zagorii Family Office
    Zurich Insurance Group Ltd

$25,000 – $49,999 Donations
    Alsea
    Amit Yoran Family Charitable Trust
    Plácido Arango Jr.
    David Aufhauser
    Aydın Doğan Foundation
    Bank of America Corporation
    Beacon Global Strategies
    Ambassador Colleen Bell
    Hilda Ochoa-Brillembourg and Arturo E. Brillembourg
    Centrus Energy Corp.
    Chobani
    Columbia University in the City of New York
    ConocoPhillips
    Consolidated Contractors Company
    Deloitte
    DLA Piper LLP (US)
    East Asia Foundation
    Elbit Systems of America, Inc.
    Engie North America
    Kenneth Falke
    FedEx Corporation
    First Eastern (Holdings) Ltd.
    Alan H. Fleischmann and Dafna Tapiero of Laurel Strategies, Inc.
    Ford Motor Company
    Ronald M. Freeman
    Thomas Glocer
    Gulf Petroleum
    HackerOne
    Ian Hague
    Roger Hertog
    Huntington Ingalls Industries, Inc.
    Japan External Trade Organization
    Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Lab
    JPMorgan Chase & Co.
    Kuwait Petroleum Corporation