Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Does God Kill Us?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He can call you home anytime He wants too. Why does that sound better? Even though I essentially said yes to the question?
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

It's simple to demonstrate that God does kill people in some instances (Genesis 38:7 - Er was a wicked man, so the Lord killed him) but unless you are a high Calvinist committed to divine determinism, there is no reason to think that this occurs in all instances. Think about when Stephen was stoned. Right before he died, he prayed, "Lord, do not hold this sin against them". (Acts 7:60). Stephen acknowledged that the people stoning him were responsible, and were liable to be charged with a sin. I do not believe God is the author of sin, and I don't think divine determinists have a good way out of their dilemma here.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

He could turn a murder into an attempted murder, if He wanted too. But, where would the line be drawn? Sometimes He does intervene(e.g.) Daniel in the lion's den, the three men in the fiery furnace, the crossing of the Red Sea), but not always. And there's a difference between a mercy kill when the body stops functioning and a judgement.
        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          When an individual dies is that because God decides to take him/her out on the particular day/time. Or are most deaths simply random - the on going result of the fall and our mortal nature?
          Answering the title: No.

Comment

Originally posted by Rushing Jaws View Post
            Answering the title: No.
            Then what did God do to Ananais and Saphira? God has more than once, both in the New Testament and in the Old Testament, caused, directly, the death of humans, and done so fully righteously.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
              Then what did God do to Ananais and Saphira? God has more than once, both in the New Testament and in the Old Testament, caused, directly, the death of humans, and done so fully righteously.

He takes our earthly mortal lives, but we all live on. Just our destinations differ.

He created us and has the right to determine our lives and deaths.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                I know God does take people out, but some Christians say that when any person dies, even a kid, it was God's will. That God ordains the death of all men at a specific time.
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I know God does take people out, but some Christians say that when any person dies, even a kid, it was God's will. That God ordains the death of all men at a specific time.
                  If God is sovereign, then nothing happens without his will.

Job 14:5 New International Version (NIV)

A person’s days are determined;
                  you have decreed the number of his months
                  and have set limits he cannot exceed.

Psalm 139:16 New International Version (NIV)

Your eyes saw my unformed body;
                  all the days ordained for me were written in your book
                  before one of them came to be.
                  Last edited by Sparko; 12-03-2019, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    If God is sovereign, then nothing happens without his will.

Job 14:5 New International Version (NIV)

A person’s days are determined;
                    you have decreed the number of his months
                    and have set limits he cannot exceed.

Psalm 139:16 New International Version (NIV)

Your eyes saw my unformed body;
                    all the days ordained for me were written in your book
                    before one of them came to be.
                    So yes, God kills us all...
                    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

So yes, God kills us all...
                      He at least permits our deaths and he knows exactly when and how we will die and nothing happens without his will or permission.

Comment

I always found it comforting. I know that when I go, it'll be God's will. We just don't understand his will, and this side of eternity we can't. At least when God permits the death of children, I think we have good hope that they will reach heaven.

An old scandinavian fantasy story, written by Astrid Lindgren, had an older brother comforting his younger brother (who was dying of an ailment), that all that would happen is that he'd leave his shell behind and go to a land of light, while the big brother would have to toil and work in the sweat of his brow for sixty more years before he'd be worthy to come with him.

On another note; Its a great work of fiction btw, featuring both of them journeying through magical kingdoms and fighting off an evil dragon.

It's called "The Brothers Lionheart"

Comment