Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does God Kill Us?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    Very doubtful that God would take the boy just because he "wanted the child in heaven." God doesn't pick and choose everyone's time of death. Also, it's pretty doubtful that he was punishing the boy for anything, given that he was just a young child. There is at least a possibility that he was punishing the parents for something, I suppose. But the best guess is that it was just random, as you said.

In Job 1, Job's kids are killed because God stops protecting Job's family, but Job's own life is still protected because he was very righteous. So we can see that the kids were not killed for any sins. Nor were they killed to punish Job. But on the other hand, they were unprotected from Satan. Presumably, if they had been as righteous as Job, they would have been protected the same way he was. It's an interesting phenomenon to think about.
    These questions have hit me hard lately, at 66 I should expect such things. I just left the wake of another friend. That is eight in the last two years. I have known most over fifty years - most died of natural causes, one by suicide, two by fentanyl over doses. One, possibly two, were believers...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    In this world people got troubles. Health troubles are part of that. Sometimes folks will up and die. Still things are not hopeless. God still knocks on the hearts of people. Medicine is eradicating diseases. Sometimes you get honest to goodness miracles.

That is my take.

3. Amen seer amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I think the bible pretty much makes it clear that the supernatural influences everything in the natural including sickness, disease, and death. Of course, usually us modern folks just brush that off as a bunch of ancient ignorant Hebrews not having the medical knowledge we have, but I believe it's still true. The problem is multi-layered though. The first problem is we don't know where that connection -- where the invisible supernatural meets the visible natural -- happens. To us, for example, the onslaught of sickness and disease just looks like they come natural. To the ancients it probably looked a whole lot less complicated than it does to us, but at some point the supernatural has influence, we just don't know how and where. The second issue is how much God has a direct hand in that. We know God allows supernatural entities to influence the natural as long as they follow his direction, but does he ever actually do this with his direct hand?

Long story short, it would be impossible for us to answer.
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

5. Amen seer, Thoughtful Monk amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Reformed Baptist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    God gives life and he has the authority to take it (1st Samuel 2:6; Job 14:5; Hebrews 9:27).

7. Amen lee_merrill amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by ReformedApologist View Post
    God gives life and he has the authority to take it (1st Samuel 2:6; Job 14:5; Hebrews 9:27).
    And you might add Daniel 5:23 here as well: "... you did not honor the God who holds in his hand your life-breath and all your ways."

Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

9. Amen ReformedApologist amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    He can call you home anytime He wants too. Why does that sound better? Even though I essentially said yes to the question?
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    It's simple to demonstrate that God does kill people in some instances (Genesis 38:7 - Er was a wicked man, so the Lord killed him) but unless you are a high Calvinist committed to divine determinism, there is no reason to think that this occurs in all instances. Think about when Stephen was stoned. Right before he died, he prayed, "Lord, do not hold this sin against them". (Acts 7:60). Stephen acknowledged that the people stoning him were responsible, and were liable to be charged with a sin. I do not believe God is the author of sin, and I don't think divine determinists have a good way out of their dilemma here.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    He could turn a murder into an attempted murder, if He wanted too. But, where would the line be drawn? Sometimes He does intervene(e.g.) Daniel in the lion's den, the three men in the fiery furnace, the crossing of the Red Sea), but not always. And there's a difference between a mercy kill when the body stops functioning and a judgement.
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!