Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Donald Trump - 'Phony Emoluments Clause'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    Fixed, but as usual, Jim takes a perfectly valid point and blows it up and does his job no service. Politicians being beholden to money and those with gobs of it is nothing new. However, I bet Trumps real reason he doesn’t want his tax returns out there is it drives liberals nuts and it would reveal he isn’t as rich as he likes to claim he is. By far, Trump’s ego is the bigger issue that seems to be ignored. Likely because many rich and powerful people are just as egotistical.
    Given his propensity to boast and exaggerate as much as he does I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't as rich as he portrays himself as being.

Another thing to consider is that folks involved in politics are generally very careful about what they claim on their taxes. Few ever take every deduction that they may be entitled to because of optics. They don't want to be seen as not paying their "fair share" or taking advantage of questionable loopholes.

But Trump, like those of us not in elected office, surely sought out every deduction possible. IIRC, he once scoffed that it would have been foolish not to have done so.

So it would hardly come as a shock if there is some stuff in his tax returns that would be embarrassing for him now.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Your gaslighting is noted. If I am wrong, name a single evil thing you think Trump is incapable of doing.

More gaslighting. Stop bearing false witness Jim, but you won’t because it’s only your opponents that are terrible sinners, not the holy and righteous Jim!

Name a conspiracy theory, about Trump, you don’t believe is true. I can name several about Clinton and Obama I think are false.

Give me a reason to think you’re objective. Can you?

That’s an assertion, not a fact. You nor Sam have been unable to show anything illegal happened. Which is the issue here, show it. Can you?

The fact you nor Sam have addressed a word he said, speaks volumes.
      That you are off in loopy land is simply that you are making things up that I have never said and then ranting whole paragraphs about these fantasy land issues- e.g thinking Trump is an Anti Christ, or me 'gaslighting' you.

You are just ranting against me the person pix. Long little diatribes aimed at excoriating me personally.

You really should be ashamed of yourself.

Jim
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
        That you are off in loopy land is simply that you are making things up that I have never said and then ranting whole paragraphs about these fantasy land issues- e.g thinking Trump is an Anti Christ, or me 'gaslighting' you.
        You are gaslighting me Jim and it’s obvious in your sad attempts to call me crazy, in calling you out for your ridiculous beliefs. You should have no issue naming an evil deed you think Trump is incapable of, but you can’t. It’s obvious you believe Trump is the most evil person to have ever existed and you see every last word and action through that same bias viewpoint. You really do believe he is some sort of Antichrist and that he had deceived many. You just don’t want to admit it because it makes you sound unwilling to reason or even as crazy as you try to claim I am for noticing.

You are just ranting against me the person pix. Long little diatribes aimed at excoriating me personally.

You really should be ashamed of yourself.
        Because this is all about you and your absurd beliefs that Trump is the most evil person to have ever existed and your inability to think beyond those terms. I have said you are more than capable of making a decent case where you don’t assume your opponents are stupid or evil for not agreeing with you. Sorry that the truth hurts, but it’s as obvious as the nose on your face and why you keep falling flat every time you post anything about Trump. You’re unwilling to see Trump as not the most evil person ever and unwilling to grant there’s options beyond your opponents being stupid or evil themselves. There’s no shame in pointing out the obvious and your gaslighting isn’t going to change that reality.
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

You are gaslighting me Jim and it’s obvious in your sad attempts to call me crazy, in calling you out for your ridiculous beliefs. You should have no issue naming an evil deed you think Trump is incapable of, but you can’t. It’s obvious you believe Trump is the most evil person to have ever existed and you see every last word and action through that same bias viewpoint. You really do believe he is some sort of Antichrist and that he had deceived many. You just don’t want to admit it because it makes you sound unwilling to reason or even as crazy as you try to claim I am for noticing.

Because this is all about you and your absurd beliefs that Trump is the most evil person to have ever existed and your inability to think beyond those terms. I have said you are more than capable of making a decent case where you don’t assume your opponents are stupid or evil for not agreeing with you. Sorry that the truth hurts, but it’s as obvious as the nose on your face and why you keep falling flat every time you post anything about Trump. You’re unwilling to see Trump as not the most evil person ever and unwilling to grant there’s options beyond your opponents being stupid or evil themselves. There’s no shame in pointing out the obvious and your gaslighting isn’t going to change that reality.
          I think a lot of it has to do with the news sources he chooses to read. He's deep into the left-wing nuttery of CNN and the Washington Post who report like Trump is the second coming of Hitler and are loathe to ever say anything that come be construed as positive, and he's quick to dismiss sources like FOX News and Breitbart even though they are more balanced and often critical of the Trump administration, or are at least willing to publish stories that could be perceived as negative (Breitbart, for instance, regularly publishes negative stories from the Associated Press without any additional commentary).

It's hard to see clearly when your head is stuck in the left-wing bubble.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I wonder how many of those who utterly refuse to consider any story reported by conservative outlets were among those on the left who were enraged when the New York Times committed the inexcusable faux pas of publishing an accurate and totally neutral front page headline about Trump's reaction to the recent shootings in Dayton and El Paso ('Trump Urges Unity vs Racism'), forcing them to change to the much more confrontational 'Assailing Hate but Not Guns.'

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

No shame at all I see

I'm not calling you 'crazy' pix. I'm calling you out as focusing on the person - me - rather than the topic - Trumps comments about the Constitution. Which you ARE. I'm ALSO saying that in your rage you have dropped to the point you are making up things to accuse me of. Which you ARE. And I gave you SPECIFIC examples of when you did that. To be 'gaslighting' I'd need to be telling you things are NOT as the ARE. I'm not trying to make you THINK you are crazy pix. I'm trying to point out that you ARE posting irrationally, personally.

Because this is all about you and your absurd beliefs that Trump is the most evil person to have ever existed and your inability to think beyond those terms.
              And this is what I'm talking about. I don't know how evil Trump is relative to others. I do know there are pschologists that observing his behavior say he is a Narcissist and likely a Psychopath (no conscience). And that makes him very dangerous - as are ALL such people. But what I also know is what he is doing and what he is saying, a large bit of which IS evil. When a person slams the personal appearance of another man's wife as part of a political race - that IS evil. When a man needs a 'fixer', a person to go behind him and clean up his moral messes, as Cohen was - that person IS evil and is so intent on doing evil to the point that he hires a person to try to make the consequences of the evil go away. When a man commits adultery and pays off the mistress, that IS evil. When a person continually lies about nearly everthing, that IS evil (and not entirely sane). We are talking about reality here, and your denials of it. But I don't think you are crazy, and I'm not trying to get you to think you are crazy.

I have said you are more than capable of making a decent case where you don’t assume your opponents are stupid or evil for not agreeing with you. Sorry that the truth hurts, but it’s as obvious as the nose on your face and why you keep falling flat every time you post anything about Trump. You’re unwilling to see Trump as not the most evil person ever and unwilling to grant there’s options beyond your opponents being stupid or evil themselves. There’s no shame in pointing out the obvious and your gaslighting isn’t going to change that reality.
              Again, there is more projection happening here than reality. I don't know why that is, but the facts about Trump are the facts. You, MM and some others are having a very hard time facing up to that reality. But the impeachment train is rolling, and the testimony of who Trump is and the sorts of things he's been doing behind the scenes as POTUS that are wrong and inappropriate, even illegal, are seeing the light of day. But I am sorry you are one of the millions he has duped into thinking rallying behind him will benefit you in some way.

As Cohen said after being dropped like a hot potato and abandoned to what rightfully should have been Trump's fate

Source: cohen

"I did the same thing that you're doing now. For ten years. I protected Mr. Trump for ten years." His warning to them: "The more people that follow Mr. Trump -- as I did blindly -- are going to suffer the same consequences that I'm suffering."

© Copyright Original Source

Jim
              Last edited by oxmixmudd; 10-23-2019, 07:47 AM.
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                I wonder how many of those who utterly refuse to consider any story reported by conservative outlets were among those on the left who were enraged when the New York Times committed the inexcusable faux pas of publishing an accurate and totally neutral front page headline about Trump's reaction to the recent shootings in Dayton and El Paso ('Trump Urges Unity vs Racism'), forcing them to change to the much more confrontational 'Assailing Hate but Not Guns.'
                Not me. And I don't refuse to read conservative outlets. I refuse to read outlets known for whacked out conspiracy theories and excessive bias to the point that to find whatever truth might be in their article one must spend hours checking every fact and comment weeding out the distortions and lies, only to find half the time that after one is done with that task, there is nothing left.

IOW, sites that when reporting on the news surrounding Politics or Global warming have the reliability of Answers in Genesis when reporting on a new scientific discovery related to evolution.

And that would be left or right.

Jim

Comment

Not me. And I don't refuse to read conservative outlets. I refuse to read outlets known for whacked out conspiracy theories and excessive bias to the point that to find whatever truth might be in their article one must spend hours checking every fact and comment weeding out the distortions and lies, only to find half the time that after one is done with that task, there is nothing left.

IOW, sites that when reporting on the news surrounding Politics or Global warming have the reliability of Answers in Genesis when reporting on a new scientific discovery related to evolution.

Jim
                  So which conservative news outlets do you consider to be legitimate?

ETA: Do you see any irony in citing Michael Cohen while decrying sources that have the "reliability of Answers in Genesis when reporting on a new scientific discovery related to evolution"?
                  Last edited by rogue06; 10-23-2019, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Fox has a limited amount of legitimacy, and I read it regularly along side CNN. But I try to stay more to the center rogue. The wall street journal is good, as is in reality CNN. Basically, if you look at this chart, I go as far right as Fox, and as far left as the cluster around the NYT. But I stay away from the extremes and I prefer those sources that cluster around the middle.

Pew_mediapolarization_ideologicalplacementsourceaudience.jpg

https://guides.lib.umich.edu/c.php?g=637508&p=4462444

Jim

Comment

Fox has a limited amount of legitimacy, and I read it regularly along side CNN. But I try to stay more to the center rogue. The wall street journal is good, as is in reality CNN. Basically, if you look at this chart, I go as far right as Fox, and as far left as the cluster around the NYT. But I stay away from the extremes and I prefer those sources that cluster around the middle.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40398[/ATTACH]

Jim
                      So just Fox and it only "has a limited amount of legitimacy."

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40398[/ATTACH]

Jim
                        Sounds good in theory... except your chart seems about as accurate as Political Compass in assessing political leanings. And the fact that you consider CNN to be in anyway unbiased or reliable certainly calls your own abilities of assessment into question.
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

ETA: Do you see any irony in citing Michael Cohen while decrying sources that have the "reliability of Answers in Genesis when reporting on a new scientific discovery related to evolution"?
                          Not in that specific instance. Trump lives up to his observation. Just look at what he's done to person after person on his staff, in his cabinet. Appointees etc. Anyone that has a backbone or stands on principle simply cant last in his administration.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            Sounds good in theory... except your chart seems about as accurate as Political Compass in assessing political leanings. And the fact that you consider CNN to be in anyway unbiased or reliable certainly calls your own abilities of assessment into question.
                            Says the man who only posts breitbart or similar sources.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              I was a bit taken aback to see MSNBC placed considerably to the right of The Washington Post and The Economist. Drudge being put well out to the right is another surprise since they're like a clearinghouse similar to Yahoo or Google News often linking to all of those listed as being liberal in the chart and even Vanity Fair, Rolling Stone, New Republic, Daily Kos, Mother Jones, Vox and Salon as well.

Comment

So just Fox and it only "has a limited amount of legitimacy."
                                For sources you would consider conservative, probably. Wall street journal, but you probably think they're liberal. I certainly have no interest in right (or left) propaganda rags , except as entertainment.

How often do you go to answers in genesis for their take on the latest discovery as a primary information source?

Jim

Comment