Announcement

Collapse

Rec Room Guidelines

In the Rec Room we share jokes, interesting stories, and speculate about trout's manties. Serve up some Spam in many different flavors and sizes, and just take some time off from study and have fun.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorm, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

You Might be an Old Geek if...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    Those are the best kind!

Back in college, a friend of mine had a Mac and he really had a box fan strapped to it. As I recall the problem was the crappy fans they came with, and from the way the geeks talked, it was a common problem.
    Wow. I know computers DO catch fire. That's scary. Incidentally maybe another geek thing is remembering when they banned all smoking and food around the machines. I heard of this one coworker who had to have the machine cleaned and de-tarred out cuz of really dedicated chain smoking. Twice.
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Yes, I'm an old geek:

You've ever written a program in BASIC.
      Yes

Your relatives used you as a VCR programming service.
      Yes

You not only know what floppies are but you've used multiple sizes.
      Yes, from 8 inch on down

You owned a computer before there was an Internet - and you know what www stands for.
      Not before Arpanet, but certainly before the web

You've bought coaxle cable by the foot before anyone owned a home computer.
      Nope

You remember when word processors were hardware and not just software.
      Yes, used one

You have taped a box fan to a Mac.
      I've had or worked on several Macs (going back to the 80's), and never had to tape a fan on. Rarely had a hardware issue either

Your collection of computer magazines needs dusting.
      Yes

You've fixed thousands of computers by unplugging them.
      Maybe a few...

Comment

In a store display, once, and the shame has never left me. I'd been programming in actual languages for years by then. I did some work in VBASIC once, or started to, because that's what a client had to work with, before the bog down convinced me to convince them that $100 on FileMaker Pro would get the same job done and leave them with a solution even their own staff could maintain.

To prevent incipient madness, I once fixed the flashing 12's on a VCR when I was house-sitting (because lead paint was being mitigated in my own place).

And transferred between them.

You owned a computer before there was an Internet - and you know what www stands for.
        I owned a smart monitor before there were even personal computers.

Pretty sure "coaxle cable" by the foot is reserved for Alabamians who only need one hand to count teeth.

Actually, they were software first, just not on PCs.

Wha ... no. Just no. That's not only not geek, it's not possible, and not even the old Mac's had problems with overheating.

Only if you spell it "composting" ... and "needed."

Not even a pretend geek would admit to that.

Comment

First I'd like to point out that my understanding of the definition of the word "geek" is a clown that bites off chickens' heads. That said, having grown up during the '80's, I think I can affirmatively answer at least one of these and therefore be classified as an old nerd.

I got my start as a kid using Apple II BASIC to do nothing more than draw low-resolution graphics in school, but our first home computer was an old second-hand Commodore VIC-20 on which I really started learning more of the BASIC language. Through the years I learned a few other BASIC-language interpreters, before eventually coming across Visual Basic for DOS and finally Visual Basic 6 which I still use.

Though I've used a VCR, Mr. mossy was more the expert in timer recording than I was.

First 5.25", and then 3.5".

Our first PC in late 1993 had DOS 6.0, Windows 3.1 and no Internet capability. Those were the days.

I could see Mr. mossy quite possibly having done that.

We once had an electronic typewriter with an LCD dot matrix display which showed a 12 (or so) character "buffer" which could previewed to allow for necessary corrections before actually printing onto the inserted sheet of paper. It also had a built-in calculator, which I rather enjoyed.

Nope. I've never heard of that before, and I'm not even sure I understand how that works or why it would be necessary.

Though we got rid of a bunch of older ones that came with our second-hand Tandy, I still have a few Visual Basic Programmer's Journal issues from the mid-late '90's (between VB 5 & 6).

Not just computers, but many other electronic devices like our Apple TV and Blu-Ray player suddenly worked again after recycling the power.
          ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment