Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Ethics 301 Guidelines

This forum is for Christians to discuss ethical issues within Christianity. Non-theists, non-christians, and unorthodox Christians should not post here without first getting permission from the area's moderators.

If you have a question about what's OK and what's not OK, please contact the moderators.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Did David Rape Bathsheba?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
    Are you definitively calling it rape here?
    I really don't think we have all the puzzle pieces - for all we know, she saw it as an opportunity to gain something for herself.

She subsequently married David, even scheming to have David name Solomon as his successor.

Scripture Verse: 2 Samuel

11:3 and David sent someone to find out about her. The man said, "She is Bathsheba, the daughter of Eliam and the wife of Uriah the Hittite."

12:24 Then David comforted his wife Bathsheba, and he went to her and made love to her. She gave birth to a son, and they named him Solomon.

© Copyright Original Source

In the first 2 chapters of 1 Kings, we see Bathsheba making the pitch for Solomon, rather than Adonijah, should become King.

Scripture Verse: 1 Kings

15 So Bathsheba went to see the aged king in his room, where Abishag the Shunammite was attending him.
    16 Bathsheba bowed down, prostrating herself before the king. “What is it you want?” the king asked.
    17 She said to him, “My lord, you yourself swore to me your servant by the LORD your God: ‘Solomon your son shall be king after me, and he will sit on my throne.’
    18 But now Adonijah has become king, and you, my lord the king, do not know about it.

She may have seen this as an "in" from the beginning -- we just don't know.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I really don't think we have all the puzzle pieces - for all we know, she saw it as an opportunity to gain something for herself.

She subsequently married David, even scheming to have David name Solomon as his successor.

Scripture Verse: 2 Samuel

11:3 and David sent someone to find out about her. The man said, "She is Bathsheba, the daughter of Eliam and the wife of Uriah the Hittite."

12:24 Then David comforted his wife Bathsheba, and he went to her and made love to her. She gave birth to a son, and they named him Solomon.

In the first 2 chapters of 1 Kings, we see Bathsheba making the pitch for Solomon, rather than Adonijah, should become King.

Scripture Verse: 1 Kings

15 So Bathsheba went to see the aged king in his room, where Abishag the Shunammite was attending him.
      16 Bathsheba bowed down, prostrating herself before the king. “What is it you want?” the king asked.
      17 She said to him, “My lord, you yourself swore to me your servant by the LORD your God: ‘Solomon your son shall be king after me, and he will sit on my throne.’
      18 But now Adonijah has become king, and you, my lord the king, do not know about it.

She may have seen this as an "in" from the beginning -- we just don't know.
      That's my problem with this. I'd never heard David called a rapist until recently, and growing up and being familiar with this story, I never heard Bathsheba blamed for David's sin at all. I guess I'm just concerned at the apparent importation of modern thinking into the text, which is what seems to be driving the accusation.
      I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

That's my problem with this. I'd never heard David called a rapist until recently, and growing up and being familiar with this story, I never heard Bathsheba blamed for David's sin at all. I guess I'm just concerned at the apparent importation of modern thinking into the text, which is what seems to be driving the accusation.
        Yeah, whenever you have a case like this where you have to make your argument from silence, I'm suspicious.

It's entirely possible that Bathsheba purposely seduced the King because she wanted to be a KingMaker - we don't know that.
        It's also possible that she was a genuine victim of 'abuse of power' - whether David forced himself upon her (I don't see that in the text) or took advantage of his power as King - we don't know that.

We DO know that, subsequently, Bathsheba took advantage of her position as David's wife to have her own son appointed King, but, again, we don't know if that was retaliation, simple "taking advantage of a bad situation", or... who knows?

I do find it interesting, as a side note, that Bathsheba never really seemed to acknowledge God as her own Lord... "She said to him, “My lord, you yourself swore to me your servant by the LORD your God: ‘Solomon your son shall be king after me, and he will sit on my throne.’"
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Are you definitively calling it rape here?
          No. Not one way or the other.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            No. Not one way or the other.
            Ok, thank you. I didn't want to misread you.
            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

I mean, we know that David did a terrible thing and was majorly punished for it. I don't know that it matters specifically how we label this sin.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I guess I'm mainly concerned that we don't blame Bathsheba or accuse her of wrongdoing based on speculation and shaky inference.

It's even speculation to claim she was flaunting herself for David to see.
                Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                  I guess I'm mainly concerned that we don't blame Bathsheba or accuse her of wrongdoing based on speculation and shaky inference.

It's even speculation to claim she was flaunting herself for David to see.
                  Correct - the main point of the story is that David sinned, struggled with sin, confessed, and continued to be used of God.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    Correct - the main point of the story is that David sinned, struggled with sin, confessed, and continued to be used of God.
                    I don't currently have any idea what David did after this event -- of how he was used of God. We know he had his psalm that lets us know of God's forgiveness of certain people.

The account may have just been recorded as a situation in David's life that someone realized should be recorded in the history of the Israel people. Maybe this event was an accumulation of accounts from people like Nathan and Samuel. With the scriptures, we have the odd situation where people recorded really bad behavior (and prophecies of doom) along with the records of glory and peace.

Some scholars have seen 2 Sam 12 being primarily focused on justifying Solomon as the heir to the throne. But such proposal begs the question whether there was a need to justify Solomon's throne or whether David's sin and restoration would be good grounds to justify Solomon becoming king. The idea this backs Solomon's rule would seem to be based on political or sociological theories distinct from scripture -- as my first guess.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X