Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump Being Lynched?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    I've been bringing up The Boy Who Cried Wolf problem multiple times as a warning to those on the left and the Never Trumpers that if they continue insisting on making every single molehill into an Everest-size "Constitutional crisis!", that if some legitimate evidence of actual Trump malfeasance would ever emerge, that the public would tune it out as yet another overwrought overreaction from the MSM and political opponents.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Every one of these lists I've seen includes such things as exaggerations, hyperbole, figures of speech, metaphors, imprecise citation, rounding, obvious jokes, honest mistakes, differences of opinion etc. so as to to inflate the number of the supposed falsehoods.

And FWIU the largest percent of "lies" told by Trump according to a list concocted by the Washington Post concern his claim that he didn't collude with the Russians. Now that we know that was indeed the truth the WaPo is still refusing to remove them from his list of lies.

But then again, what do you expect from someone who... well,
      The Washington Post has just provided an excellent example of just what sort of things get included into these various lists of "lies" that Trump tells that gets the left's knickers all in a bunch.

Yesterday Trump hosted the Clemson University's football team at the White House after they defeated Alabama at the College Football Playoff National Championship. Due to the partial government shutdown the White House kitchen staff has been furloughed so Trump went out and bought $3000 worth of fast food for them. What upset those afflicted with TDS at the Washington Post was Trump's statement that they had hamburgers stacked "a mile high." So they actually had what is painfully obviously a figure of speech fact checked to see if the hamburgers would literally be a mile high

Yup. You read that right. They actually fact checked it.

Their solemn conclusion? "At two inches each, a thousand burgers would not reach one mile high."

So this will now join the list of LIES! told by Trump

Similarly, during the last SOTU he said that a third ("one in three") of the women and girls illegally crossing the border end up getting sexually assaulted. Now according to Amnesty International the number is closer to 60% and one study even puts the number as high as 80%, but Politico and the Washington Post cited statistics indicating that the number is 31% so that they could proclaim that the statement is false. Talk about your nitpicking. It is almost a given that every past president and every politician has used "one-third" or "one-half" rather than a specific fraction or percentage, and walked away without being fact-checked but with Trump rounding off like that gets called another lie.

Trump constantly screws up and exaggerates. For him, like your typical New Yorker from Queens or the Bronx, everything is the biggest, the best, the greatest etc. (a characteristic also often associated with Texans) and he gets hammered for it as well.

I used to run across similar lists disseminated by fringe crackpots sent via fax or email, or heard on late night AM radio about past presidents. Now, however, it isn't the nutjob conspiracy theorists pushing this stuff but supposedly credible journalists, news outlets and high level politicians.

And who can forget how CNN fact checked a joke by then press secretary Sean Spicer about Russian dressing? CNN would later say that it was a joke after being ridiculed for it but even if[1] true it really does exemplify the climate.

1. Given that this is the same network that once actually had Wolf Blitzer investigating a SNL skit for criticizing the Obamamessiah, it is hard to overestimate their partisanship

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Every one of these lists I've seen includes such things as exaggerations, hyperbole, figures of speech, metaphors, imprecise citation, rounding, obvious jokes, honest mistakes, differences of opinion etc. so as to to inflate the number of the supposed falsehoods...
        I'm a whole lot more interested in what he does over what he says, and which promises he actually kept -- like SCOTUS and replacing activist judges...
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          You know it!

Give him a scratch in that place that makes his back leg kick -- or behind the ear (your choice) -- for me.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Give him a scratch in that place that makes his back leg kick -- or behind the ear (your choice) -- for me.
            I found a pic of him when we got him from the shelter -- he looks SO sad and "whipped". And SKINNY!

Jake when he was Lee.jpg

He looks like a little convict, and just needs his "number board".
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              I found a pic of him when we got him from the shelter -- he looks SO sad and "whipped". And SKINNY!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40515[/ATTACH]

He looks like a little convict, and just needs his "number board".
              As my cousin said about his dog (who was the unit's mascot and who he smuggled back from Vietnam in a duffle bag with the help of a stewardess), she quickly adapted to ice cream and air conditioning.

Yes I know that Jake is not a she.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                Why are all the libs upset because Trump said he was being lynched?
                Trump isn't being lynched, he's being impeached, in other words he gets a trial, but he is, metaphorically speaking, running scared, and he likes to incite you, his staunch supporters.

Comment

Every one of these lists I've seen includes such things as exaggerations, hyperbole, figures of speech, metaphors, imprecise citation, rounding, obvious jokes, honest mistakes, differences of opinion etc. so as to to inflate the number of the supposed falsehoods.

And FWIU the largest percent of "lies" told by Trump according to a list concocted by the Washington Post concern his claim that he didn't collude with the Russians. Now that we know that was indeed the truth the WaPo is still refusing to remove them from his list of lies.

But then again, what do you expect from someone who... well,

Similarly, during the last SOTU he said that a third ("one in three") of the women and girls illegally crossing the border end up getting sexually assaulted. Now according to Amnesty International the number is closer to 60% and one study even puts the number as high as 80%, but Politico and the Washington Post cited statistics indicating that the number is 31% so that they could proclaim that the statement is false. Talk about your nitpicking. It is almost a given that every past president and every politician has used "one-third" or "one-half" rather than a specific fraction or percentage, and walked away without being fact-checked but with Trump rounding off like that gets called another lie.

Trump constantly screws up and exaggerates. For him, like your typical New Yorker from Queens or the Bronx, everything is the biggest, the best, the greatest etc. (a characteristic also often associated with Texans) and he gets hammered for it as well.

I used to run across similar lists disseminated by fringe crackpots sent via fax or email, or heard on late night AM radio about past presidents. Now, however, it isn't the nutjob conspiracy theorists pushing this stuff but supposedly credible journalists, news outlets and high level politicians.

And who can forget how CNN fact checked a joke by then press secretary Sean Spicer about Russian dressing? CNN would later say that it was a joke after being ridiculed for it but even if[1] true it really does exemplify the climate.

1. Given that this is the same network that once actually had Wolf Blitzer investigating a SNL skit for criticizing the Obamamessiah, it is hard to overestimate their partisanship
                  What makes it hypocritical is another New Yorker and media darling, AOC, frequently does that. Yet the media is far more forgiving of it than they are with Trump.
                  "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                    Trump isn't being lynched, he's being impeached, in other words he gets a trial, but he is, metaphorically speaking, running scared, and he likes to incite you, his staunch supporters.
                    Those hung in Salem had a trial too.
                    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                      Those hung in Salem had a trial too.
                      Yes, they were, but this isn't a witch hunt based on religious hysteria, and the court is not a makeshift Oyer et Termener court established for the sole purpose of trying and convicting witches. In any case, Trump isn't being hung, so he isn't being lynched, he's being impeached according to the Constitution as it was set down by the Founders who forsaw the danger of such a one as Trump coming along.

Comment

Yes, they were, but this isn't a witch hunt based on religious hysteria, and the court is not a makeshift Oyer et Termener court established for the sole purpose of trying and convicting witches. In any case, Trump isn't being hung, so he isn't being lynched, he's being impeached according to the Constitution as it was set down by the Founders who forsaw the danger of such a one as Trump coming along.
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Vs the current ‘get Trump, at any cost’ environment we have now. Yes, that’s so much better.
                          That's just your biased perspective, Lilpix. The truth is that you, like most republicans, want there to be no trial no matter the possible cost to the Country. The President abused, is abusing, his power, the president put at risk the national security and the security of an ally for his personal gain, the President encouraged foreign adversaries to interfere in U.S. elections, the president has and continues to obstruct justice, the president is corrupt, enriching himself (emoluments) through the power of his office. And those are just the things he can be impeached for by Congress, outside of that, the list that makes him unfit for the office is too long to outline

Comment

That's just your biased perspective, Lilpix. The truth is that you, like most republicans, want there to be no trial no matter the possible cost to the Country. The President abused, is abusing, his power, the president put at risk the national security and the security of an ally for his personal gain, the President encouraged foreign adversaries to interfere in U.S. elections, the president has and continues to obstruct justice, the president is corrupt, enriching himself (emoluments) through the power of his office. And those are just the things he can be impeached for by Congress, outside of that, the list that makes him unfit for the office is too long to outline
                            I see assertions and opinion, but no actual facts. Come back when you have those.
                            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

I see assertions and opinion, but no actual facts. Come back when you have those.
                              Yes, I understand, you're blind to actual facts. That's what happens when you buy into the cult, Lilpix. Trump told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. But ya know, you're a party to the crime against you, so you can overcome it. Open those eyes and ears, Lilpix. And you too RumTum!

Comment

Yes, I understand, you're blind to actual facts. That's what happens when you buy into the cult, Lilpix. Trump told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. But ya know, you're a party to the crime against you, so you can overcome it. Open those eyes and ears, Lilpix. And you too RumTum!
                                Sorry Jimmy, but you made a pile of assertions, with your own partisan spin attached. Which is awesome when you attack others for the very things you do and are too blinded by your brainwashing to notice.
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment