Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Have Fun Storming the Castle!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have Fun Storming the Castle!!

House Republicans storm closed door impeachment meeting.

Source: Fox News

House Democrats' impeachment inquiry resumed Wednesday afternoon, after around two dozen Republicans brought proceedings to a screeching halt earlier in the day by storming into a closed-door deposition with a senior Defense Department official.

© Copyright Original Source

The deposition with Laura Cooper, who has overseen Ukraine policy, was underway again, Fox News has learned.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    House Republicans storm closed door impeachment meeting.

House Democrats' impeachment inquiry resumed Wednesday afternoon, after around two dozen Republicans brought proceedings to a screeching halt earlier in the day by storming into a closed-door deposition with a senior Defense Department official.

The deposition with Laura Cooper, who has overseen Ukraine policy, was underway again, Fox News has learned.

They just really, really, really don't want us to find out what she has to say.

There are republicans in the committees that have access to the same information the democrats do. This is just a show. Or rather, a Circus.

Jim
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      They just really, really, really don't want us to find out what she has to say.

There are republicans in the committees that have access to the same information the democrats do. This is just a show. Or rather, a Circus.

Jim
      The whole thing is a circus, Jim.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        No - Trump needs to be gone. Did you know that his lawyer actually argued that a sitting president could not be prosecuted even if he literally shot someone in cold blood - at least while in office?

Now why would anyone want to make that argument. And why would any legitimate president need to make that argument?

That man needs to go back to being a normal citizen - for all our sakes.

Jim
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Trump is raising record donation numbers. I think they don't see any viable Dem challengers, thus see an inevitable election defeat and so this is the last ditch effort they have before 2020.

Comment

No - Trump needs to be gone.
            The Democrats need to handle this like adults, beyond reproach, Jim.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

That man needs to go back to being a normal citizen - for all our sakes.

Jim
              Ummmm.... I don't guess Trump ever quite was a "normal" citizen.

Comment

More like a coup.
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                  Trump is raising record donation numbers. I think they don't see any viable Dem challengers, thus see an inevitable election defeat and so this is the last ditch effort they have before 2020.
                  Which only works if they find something so damning that the Senate will have to convict - right now, the Senate may not even have a trial.

I think Pelosi and the Dem leadership have simply lost control.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Did you know that his lawyer actually argued that a sitting president could not be prosecuted even if he literally shot someone in cold blood - at least while in office?
                    I hadn't heard that, Jim, but that would be a case where, lacking other remedies, impeachment would be a slam dunk, and anybody who didn't vote to convict/remove in the Senate would be a fool.

There's a process for that. That would clearly be a "high crime".

ETA: Apparently, this is the statement Jim alluded to without citation.
                    Last edited by Cow Poke; 10-23-2019, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Which only works if they find something so damning that the Senate will have to convict - right now, the Senate may not even have a trial.

I think Pelosi and the Dem leadership have simply lost control.
                      ... by a bunch of House Republicans forcing their way into a SCIF during a lawful committee deposition with their cellphones held high?

I'd say if someone has lost control, it's Kevin McCarthy, though that assumes control was ever held.

Ambassador Taylor's testimony, with contemporaneous notes and documentation, was plenty damning for this-week-in-impeachment. We're also learning that Ukraine did indeed know about the freeze to military aid funding before September (attn: Rogue). We are discovering that Nunes' former aide, now at NSA and implicated in the "unmasking" SNAFU back in 2017, may have been delivering "back channel" information to Trump regarding Trump's efforts to compel Ukrainian officials to publicly announce investigations into the 2016 DNC/DSCC hacks and Biden's role in Burisma. In court today, one of the Ukrainian nationals implicated in both the abuse of power scheme and other electoral and financial misdoings indicated that relevant communications sought by prosecutors tie directly with Trump, something John Dowd had earlier implied.

"Whistling past the graveyard" is the term that comes to mind for folks insisting that this all shows no impeachable or criminal behavior by the President or that it's the Democratic caucus speeding toward a reckoning.

--Sam
                      "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

More like a coup.
                        Last week, Mueller was a liberal.

This week, Pence is orchestrating a coup.

Every time I blink ...

Comment

Ummmm.... I don't guess Trump ever quite was a "normal" citizen.
                          That would be true in spades. But he needs to go back to being a citizen that is not commander and chief and one that is not above the law. If anyone needs to be subject to the law - it is Trump.

Jim

Comment

I hadn't heard that, Jim, but that would be a case where, lacking other remedies, impeachment would be a slam dunk, and anybody who didn't vote to convict/remove in the Senate would be a fool.

There's a process for that. That would clearly be a "high crime".

ETA: Apparently, this is the statement Jim alluded to without citation.

What we're seeing right now is Republicans in the House -- and more than a few in the Senate -- reject the possibility of even an investigation into impeachable or criminal behavior. Indeed, the DOJ under Trump is in court right now arguing that Congress cannot investigate criminal matters outside of an impeachment inquiry.

So we've got a situation where:

-- The President (or his company) cannot be investigated for potential criminal behavior outside of an impeachment hearing (according to the President's attorneys)

-- Congress cannot investigate potentially criminal behavior by the President outside of an impeachment inquiry (according to DOJ)

-- That impeachment inquiry must be "formal", with a House vote (according to DOJ)

-- House Democrats pursuing an impeachment inquiry are engaging in a "circus"

What, exactly, needs to be done here for the President's potentially impeachable or criminal misdeeds to be investigated legitimately?

--Sam
                            "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                              ... by a bunch of House Republicans forcing their way into a SCIF during a lawful committee deposition with their cellphones held high?

I'd say if someone has lost control, it's Kevin McCarthy, though that assumes control was ever held.

Ambassador Taylor's testimony, with contemporaneous notes and documentation, was plenty damning for this-week-in-impeachment. We're also learning that Ukraine did indeed know about the freeze to military aid funding before September (attn: Rogue). We are discovering that Nunes' former aide, now at NSA and implicated in the "unmasking" SNAFU back in 2017, may have been delivering "back channel" information to Trump regarding Trump's efforts to compel Ukrainian officials to publicly announce investigations into the 2016 DNC/DSCC hacks and Biden's role in Burisma. In court today, one of the Ukrainian nationals implicated in both the abuse of power scheme and other electoral and financial misdoings indicated that relevant communications sought by prosecutors tie directly with Trump, something John Dowd had earlier implied.

"Whistling past the graveyard" is the term that comes to mind for folks insisting that this all shows no impeachable or criminal behavior by the President or that it's the Democratic caucus speeding toward a reckoning.

--Sam
                              Sunshine is good for everything - except corrupt officials and vampires.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment