Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Nice defense of Evolution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
    Sequence similarity, I would say.
    And you'd be wrong. This is pretty fundamental biology. I'd point out that, if you don't know this, you shouldn't be drawing any conclusions about biology, but it's clear that your lack of knowledge will never stop you from doing so.

Genes with similar sequences could be homologs, orthologs, or paralogs. Which of these the genes are is defined entirely by their evolutionary relationships. So, Axe is using the evolutionary understanding built by others in order to do his work.
    "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

I think there's been a misunderstanding, Evolution News was referencing the paper by Tokuriki and Tawfik.
      Oh yes, the one that says "We describe ways of predicting and analyzing stability effects of mutations, and mechanisms that buffer or compensate for these destabilizing effects and thereby promote protein evolvabilty, in nature and in the laboratory."

Comment

Originally posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
        LOL! Good one lee! An almost 20 year old hand-wave by Behe as your "evidence". How will evolutionary biology ever survive your intellectual onslaught?
        I should apologize for having "amem'd" this post. I am not on board with overt sarcasm against Christians on this website anymore. Sorry about that Lee. It was an accident.
        Last edited by Seeker; 11-21-2019, 01:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
          Genes with similar sequences could be homologs, orthologs, or paralogs.
          And I read here that "Homology is the blanket term, both ortho- and paralogs are homologs."

So, Axe is using the evolutionary understanding built by others in order to do his work.
          Which should be fine, I think.

Blessings,
          Lee
          "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Originally posted by Seeker View Post
            It was an accident.
            No problem!

Blessings,
            Lee
            "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Oh yes, the one that says "We describe ways of predicting and analyzing stability effects of mutations, and mechanisms that buffer or compensate for these destabilizing effects and thereby promote protein evolvabilty, in nature and in the laboratory."
              Yes, but you haven't finished addressing Evolution New's conclusion that this paper implies support for Axe.

Blessings,
              Lee

Comment

Yes, but you haven't finished addressing Evolution New's conclusion that this paper implies support for Axe.

Blessings,
                Lee
                I can add simply no, because Axw's work implies assumptions not supported by the research cited in Evolution News. The research cited in the Evolution News was in the context of evolution, and Axe's was not. The Lurch can provide the details.
                Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

How, exactly, does something that explains how evolution occurs provide support for something that claims evolution is impossible?

Comment

How, exactly, does something that explains how evolution occurs provide support for something that claims evolution is impossible?
                    Well, we're all on a search for truth, are we not? And the claim is not that evolution is impossible, but that macro-evolution is improbable. As in the mutation of a protein to form a new function.

Blessings,
                    Lee

Comment

• Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
                      And I read here that "Homology is the blanket term, both ortho- and paralogs are homologs."

Which should be fine, I think.

Blessings,
                      Lee
                      Don't think to hard. It is not fine, and it is the corruption and misuse of peer reviewed scientific research.
                      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Well, we're all on a search for truth, are we not? And the claim is not that evolution is impossible, but that macro-evolution is improbable. As in the mutation of a protein to form a new function.

Blessings,
                        Lee
                        You mean the specificity of a protein?

Comment

Well, we're all on a search for truth, are we not?
                          No we are not. We are working toward the falsification of theories and hypothesis based on objective verifiable evidence without a religious agenda.

And the claim is not that evolution is impossible, but that macro-evolution is improbable. As in the mutation of a protein to form a new function.
                          The problem is that no hypothesis has been been found falsifiable to demonstrate this assertion based on a religious agenda. One serious problem is you cannot falsify the negative. Second, is the assertion of 'improbability,' which involves a unethical misuse and misrepresentation of probability and statistics, by the advocates of ID.

Frank

Comment

• Originally posted by Seeker View Post
                            You mean the specificity of a protein?
                            I mean for example, a new binding site.

Source: Behe and Snoke

In this paper, we report the results of the stochastic simulation of the time to fixation of new [multi-residue] features by what we consider to be the conceptually simplest route: point mutation in the absence of recombination in a duplicated gene that is free of purifying selection.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Blessings,
                            Lee

Comment

I mean for example, a new binding site.

Source: Behe and Snoke

In this paper, we report the results of the stochastic simulation of the time to fixation of new [multi-residue] features by what we consider to be the conceptually simplest route: point mutation in the absence of recombination in a duplicated gene that is free of purifying selection.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Blessings,
                              Lee
                              I believe The Lurch already responded to this. Why the repeat?

Frank

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                                I believe The Lurch already responded to this. Why the repeat?
                                Because it is a PRATT. lol

Comment