Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Nice defense of Evolution

Faith
    MYOB
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by lee_merrill View Post
    Sequence similarity, I would say.
    And you'd be wrong. This is pretty fundamental biology. I'd point out that, if you don't know this, you shouldn't be drawing any conclusions about biology, but it's clear that your lack of knowledge will never stop you from doing so.

Genes with similar sequences could be homologs, orthologs, or paralogs. Which of these the genes are is defined entirely by their evolutionary relationships. So, Axe is using the evolutionary understanding built by others in order to do his work.
    "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

2. Amen shunyadragon amen'd this post.
    Faith
    MYOB
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I think there's been a misunderstanding, Evolution News was referencing the paper by Tokuriki and Tawfik.
    Oh yes, the one that says "We describe ways of predicting and analyzing stability effects of mutations, and mechanisms that buffer or compensate for these destabilizing effects and thereby promote protein evolvabilty, in nature and in the laboratory."

tWebber
    Faith
    Unspecified
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
    LOL! Good one lee! An almost 20 year old hand-wave by Behe as your "evidence". How will evolutionary biology ever survive your intellectual onslaught?
    I should apologize for having "amem'd" this post. I am not on board with overt sarcasm against Christians on this website anymore. Sorry about that Lee. It was an accident.
    Last edited by Seeker; 11-21-2019 at 12:58 AM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLurch View Post
    Genes with similar sequences could be homologs, orthologs, or paralogs.
    And I read here that "Homology is the blanket term, both ortho- and paralogs are homologs."

So, Axe is using the evolutionary understanding built by others in order to do his work.
    Which should be fine, I think.

Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    It was an accident.
    No problem!

Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

7. Amen Seeker amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Oh yes, the one that says "We describe ways of predicting and analyzing stability effects of mutations, and mechanisms that buffer or compensate for these destabilizing effects and thereby promote protein evolvabilty, in nature and in the laboratory."
    Yes, but you haven't finished addressing Evolution New's conclusion that this paper implies support for Axe.

Blessings,
    Lee

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yes, but you haven't finished addressing Evolution New's conclusion that this paper implies support for Axe.

Blessings,
    Lee
    I can add simply no, because Axw's work implies assumptions not supported by the research cited in Evolution News. The research cited in the Evolution News was in the context of evolution, and Axe's was not. The Lurch can provide the details.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Faith
    MYOB
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    How, exactly, does something that explains how evolution occurs provide support for something that claims evolution is impossible?

11. Amen shunyadragon amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    How, exactly, does something that explains how evolution occurs provide support for something that claims evolution is impossible?
    Well, we're all on a search for truth, are we not? And the claim is not that evolution is impossible, but that macro-evolution is improbable. As in the mutation of a protein to form a new function.

Blessings,
    Lee

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    And I read here that "Homology is the blanket term, both ortho- and paralogs are homologs."

Which should be fine, I think.

Blessings,
    Lee
    Don't think to hard. It is not fine, and it is the corruption and misuse of peer reviewed scientific research.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.