Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Kanye West

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    If your theology causes you to view somebody professing Christ as a bad thing, then you need to change your theology.

Also -
    I hear where you're coming from and for the most part you're right, which is why, like most have expressed here, I'm torn, but Matthew 7:21-23 adds a bit of confirmation to my caution.

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
    Um, counterfeit Christianity has been around for oh, about 2000 years, my fellow futurist. Nothing new about that.

I am going to reserve thoughts on Kanye until there is or isn't more evidence of a genuine conversion.
    This is true, but counterfeit Christianity throughout the ages has never had the reach, power and rapid influence of the technological social platform it has now.
    Last edited by seanD; 10-27-2019, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD
      This is true, but counterfeit Christianity throughout the ages has never had the reach, power and rapid influence of the technological social platform it has now.
      I can agree with that.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

If its true, then its good.

Comment

A post on the Christianity page on Reddit: (it's long so I'll just excerpt parts; there's some language so I won't link it, but let's have grace with regards to potential new converts!)

So basically, I grew up in a “Christian” family but never really caught on to it. I’ve identified as an agnostic for as long as I can remember, and I’m 32 now...
          Seeing his conversion has kind of thrown a wrench in my entire system...
          So I get to the new album, and when I get to the song “Use This Gospel” I’m literally on the floor weeping. It’s something I’ve never felt before, and an experience I’ve never had... it destroyed me...
          Maybe it was the context of the previous albums, maybe it was the vibe or atmosphere of the music, but none of it made any sense to me. I talked to one of the best friends I’ve ever had in my life, and he straight up just told me it was the spirit of God. The thing is he’s also atheist/agnostic, and he was being sarcastic, but I just started crying, because I know what he said was the truth. I don’t know how I know, but I KNOW. He didn’t even know it, but what he said was the truth, and I felt it to my core. I think it was actually the spirit of God, and I don’t even really know what that is or what it means.

I haven’t been to any church since I was 14, or read the bible or anything. I read the verses Kanye mentioned in the song Selah, but that’s pretty much been all I’ve read of the Bible in decades at this point.

(John 8:33-36 They answered him, “We are Abraham’s descendants and have never been slaves of anyone. How can you say that we shall be set free?” Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever. So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.”)

I want to believe, and I want to have what Kanye’s found. It’s such an irrational turnaround, and none of it makes sense. I just need a starting point and I don’t know where to begin. Any advice is appreciated.

TL;DR 2019 is a wild ride, and I think God is calling me to him through Kanye but I don’t know what to do now.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

A post on the Christianity page on Reddit: (it's long so I'll just excerpt parts; there's some language so I won't link it, but let's have grace with regards to potential new converts!)
            This reminds me so much of my own daughter, who grew up in the Gospel, in Church, but it never seemed to catch on. In her young adult years, it appeared she looked for any excuse to rebel. Then, in the last year, it's like a total transformation - and all that love and patience and teaching wasn't wasted - it has bloomed like nobody's business.

I only hope the same for West - that this is real, that this is an awakening, that this is all about Jesus.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I haven't listened to the album and don't really care to, entirely for preference reasons, but I have several facebook friends who have listened to it and have spoken highly of the lyrical content and themes. The only real criticism I've seen of the album is something about it being theologically somewhat shallow, but it was also acknowledged that a new believer wouldn't really be expected to do anything else.

His conversion seems legit to me.
              I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Just wow!
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

kanye west2.jpg
                  I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]40550[/ATTACH]
                    Now THAT is rich!!!!
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]40550[/ATTACH]

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                          I can agree with that.
                          Plus, I wasn't necessarily saying his personal conversion wasn't real, just the fact he has a lot of influence on a very broad and wide audience in a very dark industry (an industry that is not only typically anti-Christ, but even downright bent towards evil and demonology). And because he's a new believer, and because he's in a very dark industry that might have a lot of influence on him, that influence can lead to false avenues, which would then lead to a very wide audience being led astray. It took Paul years of training after his conversion, probably because God knew how much influence he have on a very big audience.

Comment

To be clear (since I didn't say this in my first post in this thread), I'll be very happy to see the Holy Spirit at work -- if indeed Kanye has been saved and does his part to spread the Gospel. I'm just cautious, a little paranoid, and pessimistic by nature. :P
                            "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

Originally posted by myth View Post
                              To be clear (since I didn't say this in my first post in this thread), I'll be very happy to see the Holy Spirit at work -- if indeed Kanye has been saved and does his part to spread the Gospel. I'm just cautious, a little paranoid, and pessimistic by nature. :P
                              I just watched a very good YouTube thingy by Justin Peters on why we should be cautious about Kanye's conversion. For some reason I am not able to copy the link to paste here, but will try to do so later when I'm on my laptop.

Or, if one of my FB friends sees the link on my page they could post it here for me.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Comment