Thread: Kanye West

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Really good to see you, sir.
    Thanks! Been super busy with work and life lately, guess I haven't been around in a while...even lurking like I normally do. :P
    "We see unmistakably the sort of universe in which we have all along been living, and must come to terms with it. If we had foolish un-Christian hopes about human culture, they are now shattered. If we thought we were building up a heaven on earth, if we looked for something that would turn the present world from a place of pilgrimage into a permanent city satisfying the soul of man, we are disillusioned, and not a moment too soon." - C.S. Lewis, The Weight of Glory

2. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I'm still not sure if this is a good thing or bad thing. On one hand, dude has a whole lot of influence in a very dark and lost entertainment culture. On the other hand, as a futurist, I tend to lean towards it being a bad thing, like this may be the beginning of a counterfeit Christianity.
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seanD View Post
    I'm still not sure if this is a good thing or bad thing. On one hand, dude has a whole lot of influence in a very dark and lost entertainment culture. On the other hand, as a futurist, I tend to lean towards it being a bad thing, like this may be the beginning of a counterfeit Christianity.
    Um, counterfeit Christianity has been around for oh, about 2000 years, my fellow futurist. Nothing new about that.

I am going to reserve thoughts on Kanye until there is or isn't more evidence of a genuine conversion.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    Um, counterfeit Christianity has been around for oh, about 2000 years, my fellow futurist. Nothing new about that.

I am going to reserve thoughts on Kanye until there is or isn't more evidence of a genuine conversion.
    Yes, as with my own daughter's miraculous turnaround - time will tell. So far, she's a changed woman!
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since youíve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?Ē

6. Amen mossrose, NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seanD View Post
    If your theology causes you to view somebody professing Christ as a bad thing, then you need to change your theology.

Also -

But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice.
    Last edited by KingsGambit; 10-27-2019 at 08:54 AM.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

8. Amen Obsidian, NorrinRadd, Teallaura amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    If your theology causes you to view somebody professing Christ as a bad thing, then you need to change your theology.

Also -
    I hear where you're coming from and for the most part you're right, which is why, like most have expressed here, I'm torn, but Matthew 7:21-23 adds a bit of confirmation to my caution.

Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post

This is true, but counterfeit Christianity throughout the ages has never had the reach, power and rapid influence of the technological social platform it has now.
    Last edited by seanD; 10-27-2019 at 12:30 PM.
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seanD
    This is true, but counterfeit Christianity throughout the ages has never had the reach, power and rapid influence of the technological social platform it has now.
    I can agree with that.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Faith
    Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    If its true, then its good.

12. Amen Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    A post on the Christianity page on Reddit: (it's long so I'll just excerpt parts; there's some language so I won't link it, but let's have grace with regards to potential new converts!)

So basically, I grew up in a ďChristianĒ family but never really caught on to it. Iíve identified as an agnostic for as long as I can remember, and Iím 32 now...
    Seeing his conversion has kind of thrown a wrench in my entire system...
    So I get to the new album, and when I get to the song ďUse This GospelĒ Iím literally on the floor weeping. Itís something Iíve never felt before, and an experience Iíve never had... it destroyed me...
    Maybe it was the context of the previous albums, maybe it was the vibe or atmosphere of the music, but none of it made any sense to me. I talked to one of the best friends Iíve ever had in my life, and he straight up just told me it was the spirit of God. The thing is heís also atheist/agnostic, and he was being sarcastic, but I just started crying, because I know what he said was the truth. I donít know how I know, but I KNOW. He didnít even know it, but what he said was the truth, and I felt it to my core. I think it was actually the spirit of God, and I donít even really know what that is or what it means.

I havenít been to any church since I was 14, or read the bible or anything. I read the verses Kanye mentioned in the song Selah, but thatís pretty much been all Iíve read of the Bible in decades at this point.

(John 8:33-36 They answered him, ďWe are Abrahamís descendants and have never been slaves of anyone. How can you say that we shall be set free?Ē Jesus replied, ďVery truly I tell you, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever. So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.Ē)

I want to believe, and I want to have what Kanyeís found. Itís such an irrational turnaround, and none of it makes sense. I just need a starting point and I donít know where to begin. Any advice is appreciated.

TL;DR 2019 is a wild ride, and I think God is calling me to him through Kanye but I donít know what to do now.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    A post on the Christianity page on Reddit: (it's long so I'll just excerpt parts; there's some language so I won't link it, but let's have grace with regards to potential new converts!)
    This reminds me so much of my own daughter, who grew up in the Gospel, in Church, but it never seemed to catch on. In her young adult years, it appeared she looked for any excuse to rebel. Then, in the last year, it's like a total transformation - and all that love and patience and teaching wasn't wasted - it has bloomed like nobody's business.

I only hope the same for West - that this is real, that this is an awakening, that this is all about Jesus.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since youíve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?Ē

15. Amen mossrose, Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.