A Response To Jim Staley on Halloween

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Response To Jim Staley on Halloween

It doesn't help that he's been arrested for fraud....

Linkhere and here. Dr. Brown thanked me for the information and has said if they cannot find a source for the quote, they will not put up the image next year. I have to say I think such intellectual humility is quite gladdening. Dr. Brown is someone I have much more respect for as a result.

However, someone else in the comments asked me to watch this video insteadhere and the Easter one is here. Videos on Christmas can be found hereherethis article written from the perspective of a Christian in the Orthodox tradition.

In Christ,
    Nick Peters

Kudos for finding a terrible argument to tear apart, Nick.

Halloween is not generally an evil holiday, although it often is for neopagans, and it fosters an unhealthy fixation on the (demonic) supernatural and tends to bring out the worst in people. At its best, it is an excuse for consuming candy when the nation as a whole has an obesity problem while pretending to be something you're not. You can celebrate it if you want. I have better things to do.
    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      while pretending to be something you're not.
      I agree with most of your post. This is the one part that I don't really see as a strong objection. I know this is what, I think, Augustine? said in condemning the theater (because you are dressing up as something else), but I just don't see either as an actual example of lying because one is not trying to actually fool anybody into thinking they are something else within context.

I am suspicious of Halloween because on October 31, several years ago, when living in a neighborhood often reputed to be haunted, something moved in our house without any reasonable natural explanation for it happening.
      Last edited by KingsGambit; 10-29-2019, 08:58 AM.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

KG. My wife has personally experienced that kind of activity before and we still celebrate Halloween. Nothing fancy. Just dress up in a costume and hopefully this year we'll get trick-or-treaters.

Comment

I don't understand why people such as Staley make the same arguments skeptics do when it comes to these issues. 9/10 these claims are just rehashed from Zeitgeist or Hisop's Two Babylon's. Are they just not aware of updated scholarship?

Comment

Originally posted by ReformedApologist View Post
            I don't understand why people such as Staley make the same arguments skeptics do when it comes to these issues. 9/10 these claims are just rehashed from Zeitgeist or Hisop's Two Babylon's. Are they just not aware of updated scholarship?
            Last edited by Rushing Jaws; 11-26-2019, 07:47 PM.

Comment