Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Joe Biden Denied Holy Communion...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Biden Denied Holy Communion...

Good? Bad?

FLORENCE, S.C. — Former Vice President Joe Biden, a candidate for the Democratic nomination in the 2020 presidential race, was denied Holy Communion on Sunday morning at a Florence church.

Father Robert E. Morey of Saint Anthony Catholic Church confirmed Monday afternoon that he had denied the presidential candidate Holy Communion because of his stance on abortion. Biden, a lifelong Catholic, had attended the church’s 9 a.m. Mass.

https://www.scnow.com/news/local/joe...e72795f0c.html
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

That would be consistent with church teaching.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Yeah, no biggie. I'm mildly surprised Biden even put himself in the embarrassing position of having to be denied.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Yeah, no biggie. I'm mildly surprised Biden even put himself in the embarrassing position of having to be denied.
        The thing is I don't remember Ted Kennedy or other leftist Democrats being denied. It is the Priest's choice?
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          The thing is I don't remember Ted Kennedy or other leftist Democrats being denied. It is the Priest's choice?
          I've gotten the impression (and keeping in mind I'm a Protestant and my perception of this might be skewed) that the Catholic Church tends to be really lax about this when it comes to Democrat politicians. It's really refreshing to see one of them held to account for it.
          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
            I thought there were such occasions, but I also think most people who are pro-abortion, and know their church's position on that, don't present themselves for communion.

Here are some other examples from Wiki

The first instance of a pro-choice politician being censured via denial of communion was in 1989.[15] During a special election for the California Senate, Pro-choice Catholic Lucy Killea was barred from communion by Leo Thomas Maher, the bishop of San Diego.[9] She received communion in Sacramento with the consent of Bishop Francis Quinn.[16] The incident brought publicity to Killea's candidacy and gained her the voters' sympathy, helping her to win the election.[17][18]

In 1984, Cardinal John Joseph O'Connor, then archbishop of New York, considered excommunicating New York Governor Mario Cuomo.[19][20] He also condemned Cuomo's statements that support for abortion rights did not contradict Catholic teaching, but did not suggest that Cuomo should stop receiving communion.[21]

In January 2003, Bishop William Weigand of Sacramento said Governor of California Gray Davis, a Catholic who supported abortion rights, should stop receiving communion.[9]

In 2004, then-Archbishop Burke said he would not give communion to 2004 presidential candidate and Senator John Kerry, in part because of his position on abortion. According to religion experts, such a denial of communion would have been unprecedented.[14][22] Kerry's own Archbishop Sean O'Malley refused to specify the applicability of his earlier statement that such Catholics are in a state of grave sin and cannot properly receive communion.[14] The issue led to comparisons between Kerry's presidential campaign and that of John F. Kennedy in 1960. While Kennedy had to demonstrate his independence from the Roman Catholic Church due to public fear that a Catholic president would make decisions based on the Holy See agenda, it seemed that Kerry, in contrast, had to show obedience to Catholic authorities in order to win votes.[9][23][24][25] According to Margaret Ross Sammons, Kerry's campaign was sufficiently damaged by the threat to withhold communion that it may have cost him the election. Sammons argues that President George W. Bush was able to win 53% of the Catholic vote because he appealed to "traditional" Catholics.[26]

In February 2007, as emerged two and a half years later, Bishop Thomas Tobin asked Representative Patrick Kennedy not to take communion because of his position on abortion.[27] Kennedy told the Providence Journal that Tobin also instructed priests in the diocese not to give him communion; Tobin denied this.[27] In 2007, Burke said that he would deny communion to 2008 Republican presidential candidate Rudy Giuliani because of his views on abortion, and that Giuliani should not seek the sacrament.[22] In May 2008, Kansas City Archbishop Joseph Naumann said that Kathleen Sebelius should stop receiving communion because of her support for abortion rights, and that she should not again take it unless she publicly stated that she opposed abortion rights.[28][29][30]

After Joe Biden was nominated as a vice presidential candidate in the 2008 presidential election, Bishop Joseph Francis Martino of Biden's hometown of Scranton, Pennsylvania, said Biden would be refused communion in that diocese because of his support for abortion.[8] Biden was not refused communion in his then-parish of Wilmington, Delaware.[31]. In October 2019, Biden was reportedly refused communion at a church in Florence, South Carolina.[32]

It appears that, in some cases, the local priest simply asks the candidate not to present themselves for communion, thereby avoiding a "situation".
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

this is an interesting issue...

should people be restricted from Christian practices due to their thoughts?

If you try to restrict people based on their ideas, then people may just be stifled from sharing what they think ... and then no others can teach such people more Christ-centered ideas (after someone has expressed bad doctrine).

I know I have worded this badly. People could bring up a lot of exceptions due to the way I worded this. Maybe someone will recognize what I am asking so that the concern can be expressed a bit better.

Part of the idea, in the Christian context, is that people are not supposed to be coerced into 'confessing' doctrines.
              Last edited by mikewhitney; 10-29-2019, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                this is an interesting issue...

should people be restricted from Christian practices due to their thoughts?

If you try to restrict people based on their ideas, then people may just be stifled from sharing what they think ... and then no others can teach such people more Christ-centered ideas.

I know I have worded this badly. People could bring up a lot of exceptions due to the way I worded this. Maybe someone will recognize what I am asking so that the concern can be expressed a bit better.
                In the case of these politicians, it's not just their thoughts, it's their activism. They have made their thoughts public, and have acted on them.

Comment

In the case of these politicians, it's not just their thoughts, it's their activism. They have made their thoughts public, and have acted on them.
                  partly in agreement. But he never has an abortion, has he?

Comment

In Catholic teaching, his advocacy for pro-abortion policy is considered material cooperation with grave sin (Catholics are one of two groups of friends I have here at school so I get their lingo).

As far as the chalice, it is the duty of the priest to guard the chalice (or bishop if he is serving). The bishop cannot have his eye on every priest at all times, so it is the responsibility of the priest to distribute or not distribute. Many priests are lax. This priest clearly is not.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
                    "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
                    Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

A pimp may have never been a prostitute.

Comment

The mortal sin distinction makes sense. I had wondered why politicians who support capital punishment aren't liable to lose Communion because the RCC also has a stance on that.
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Um, how would he avoid it short of avoiding Mass?
                          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                            Um, how would he avoid it short of avoiding Mass?
                            You have the option of just not going up. In some churches you can make a certain gesture to be given just a blessing instead of taking communion. In my Western Rite Orthodox church you can come up on the Gospel side and make a "shh" sign with your finger to receive a blessing.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
                            "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
                            Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

Originally posted by thewriteranon View Post
                              You have the option of just not going up. In some churches you can make a certain gesture to be given just a blessing instead of taking communion. In my Western Rite Orthodox church you can come up on the Gospel side and make a "shh" sign with your finger to receive a blessing.
                              Thanks!
                              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment