Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Open Skies Treaty

Faith
    invalid value
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Open Skies Treaty

Another gift to Putin?

Reports suggest that US President Donald Trump has already signed a document giving the necessary six months' notice for withdrawal, though his administration still seems divided as to whether this treaty should be maintained. Former Defence Secretary James Mattis, while still serving in his post, declared that it was in the United States' "best interests" to remain in the treaty despite the alleged Russian violations.

Indeed the statistics are striking. The US has flown three times as many flights annually over Russia as the Russians have flown over the US. Between 2002 and 2016 there were 196 US flight plans logged versus 71 by Russia. In addition the US can request copies of the imagery from flights conducted by other signatories. Since 2002 there have been more than 500 such flights over Russia. During recent years, Russia has flown between four and nine missions each year over the US, while the US has flown between 14 and 16 flights over Russia.

One former diplomat says: 'Sometimes the only way to explain/predict Trump's foreign policy is to think "what would Putin want the US to do?"'
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” ― Anne Lamott
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Would it really be so difficult, my crisis management / problem resolution friend, to add the cite from which this wealth of information comes?
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

3. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    invalid value
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    US-Russia surveillance flights treaty under threat https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-50220948

And many other sources have this story.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” ― Anne Lamott
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by firstfloor View Post
    US-Russia surveillance flights treaty under threat https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-50220948

And many other sources have this story.
    Yeah, not finding anything that seems to justify this.

Faith
    invalid value
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    https://foreignaffairs.house.gov/_ca...eaty-final.pdf

This looks like Trump (Putin’s POTUS) opening the door to more Russian aggression in Ukraine, maybe.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Help me out, firstfloor, I can't tell if this is your usual trolling or genuine dumbness.
    Trump is basically "Bruce Wayne pretending to be a foppish retarded billionaire" tier genius, in case nerds need a simpler metaphor.

Faith
    invalid value
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by demi-conservative View Post
    Help me out, firstfloor, I can't tell if this is your usual trolling or genuine dumbness.
    This is in the news. Very important for monitoring troop movements and the like, and stuff that satellites cannot do easily.

Faith
    invalid value
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The North Sea near chez firstfloor.

20097667-12B4-4B0F-92A1-D847F7724487.jpeg

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    This is in the news. Very important for monitoring troop movements and the like, and stuff that satellites cannot do easily.
    I think you'd be quite surprised what satellites, combined with AI, could do quite easily. And drones.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Very important for monitoring troop movements and the like, and stuff that satellites cannot do easily.
    Ok, so it's dumb ignorance.
    Trump is basically "Bruce Wayne pretending to be a foppish retarded billionaire" tier genius, in case nerds need a simpler metaphor.