Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

See more
See less

An objection against Marian devotion dealt with.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    He is not the God of the dead, but the God of the living. (Mark 12:27) Aside from not getting an affirmative response from the departed that they will pray for you, I don't see much difference. Asking and praying do have semantic overlap.

In general, yes. It's been a while since I read through the book, though.
    So He is - but no where in Scripture do we see anyone else living on Earth talking to those who are in Heaven - without going themselves (Paul) so there is a difference.

Job was told by God to pray for his friends. Job offered sacrifices on behalf of his children.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      So He is - but no where in Scripture do we see anyone else living on Earth talking to those who are in Heaven - without going themselves (Paul) so there is a difference.
      Granted.
      Job was told by God to pray for his friends. Job offered sacrifices on behalf of his children.
      In neither of these instances was Job doing so because those he was praying for had asked (not unlike Mary at Cana). *looks, while he has a chance* 1 Samuel 7:8 and 12:19 are much stronger passages (though he had just offered to in the first instance, and had just demonstrated the power of his prayer in the second).
      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post

In neither of these instances was Job doing so because those he was praying for had asked (not unlike Mary at Cana). *looks, while he has a chance* 1 Samuel 7:8 and 12:19 are much stronger passages (though he had just offered to in the first instance, and had just demonstrated the power of his prayer in the second).
        Fair enough - my point was merely that the case could be made.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment