Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Podcast about Lordship Salvation

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by lee_merrill View Post
    "Jesus is Lord" is the text, I believe this is a confession of obedience.

"Why do you call me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I say?" (Lk 6:46)

So calling Jesus Lord implies obedience...

Blessings,
    Lee
    One can believe that Jesus is God and that people are morally obligated to obey God, but that does not mean that a right standing before God is received by obeying God. We are supposed to obey God, but obedience is not the means by which eternal life is received.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    This is mixing contexts. In the context of Rom. 10, confessing Him as "Lord" is linked to "calling on the name of the Lord" to be saved, an allusion to Joel 2:32, where LORD translates YHWH.
    I think saying Rom. 10 means "Jesus is YHWH" is far-fetched! And even in the context of Rom. 10, Lord is clearly meaning "Lord":

"For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, abounding in riches for all who call on Him; for 'WHOEVER WILL CALL ON THE NAME OF THE LORD WILL BE SAVED.' " (Ro 10:12–13)

Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    One can believe that Jesus is God and that people are morally obligated to obey God, but that does not mean that a right standing before God is received by obeying God. We are supposed to obey God, but obedience is not the means by which eternal life is received.
    Yet we read in Hebrews: "And having been made perfect, He became to all those who obey Him the source of eternal salvation..." (Heb. 5:9)

Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yet we read in Hebrews: "And having been made perfect, He became to all those who obey Him the source of eternal salvation..." (Heb. 5:9)

Blessings,
    Lee
    Obeying God is a characteristic of a Christian, but the Christian's obedience is not what actually saves him or her. When God saves a person, God changes that person so that he or she will obey God, but that changed life is not the basis upon which God declares that person righteous.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Does that mean that "Jesus is God" or "I'm going to obey Jesus"?
    The latter, though Paul's view that Jesus is YHWH is also clear from the text.
    Trump is basically "Bruce Wayne pretending to be a foppish retarded billionaire" tier genius, in case nerds need a simpler metaphor.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    Submitting to God's authority is works.
    I have never understood the autistic interpretation of 'works'. It seems to equate 'works' with any act, so that repenting itself is a work.
    Trump is basically "Bruce Wayne pretending to be a foppish retarded billionaire" tier genius, in case nerds need a simpler metaphor.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Obeying God is a characteristic of a Christian, but the Christian's obedience is not what actually saves him or her. When God saves a person, God changes that person so that he or she will obey God, but that changed life is not the basis upon which God declares that person righteous.
    Yes and no, repentance is calling people to obedience, thus Paul can speak of those who "obey the gospel" (2 Th. 1:8).

Blessings,
    Lee

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yes and no, repentance is calling people to obedience, thus Paul can speak of those who "obey the gospel" (2 Th. 1:8).

Blessings,
    Lee
    Faith in Christ is what receives eternal life. There are other commandments of God that people are supposed to obey, but faith in Christ is what receives eternal life.

9. Amen Obsidian amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Faith in Christ is what receives eternal life. There are other commandments of God that people are supposed to obey, but faith in Christ is what receives eternal life.
    Well, repentance and faith, right? (Mark 1:15) And repentance and faith is our first act of obedience.

Blessings,
    Lee

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Well, repentance and faith, right? (Mark 1:15) And repentance and faith is our first act of obedience.

Blessings,
    Lee
    Faith is the instrument of receiving justification and repentance accompanies it.