Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Whistleblower identified

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
    Most of Washington knows by now, but I don't think there's any reason Schiff should be singled out in this. There's no good reason to believe he knows more than Ratcliffe. A whistleblower looking for advice on how to refer a complaint to congress is going to talk to staff, not the congressperson. There's no reason to think the whistleblower would volunteer any details, either, and especially not if they're part of the IC.

The conspiracy theorists aren't saying Schiff knows who the whistleblower is, anymore, anyway. They're saying Schiff coached him on what to put in his complaint. On a dime, Trump's defenders have turned from saying they don't want to hear from the whistleblower, because all he's got is hearsay, to demanding to hear from him, because he's actually Schiff, or something else just as poorly considered.

Let's be at least this honest. They don't want to hear from the whistleblower.

They want to paint a target on his back.

They want to make him pay.

exactly.
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      You have no respect for the concept of protecting a whistle blower.
      What's there to protect? It is widely known that Eric Ciaramella is the whistle blower. Type "whistle blower name" into any search engine, and Eric Ciaramella's name will be in the top results. Even Shifty Schiff outed the guy when he released a transcript revealing his name:

schiff_haha.JPG
      https://twitter.com/bennyjohnson/sta...istleblower%2F

No point trying to bolt the barn door now that the horse is already in the next state.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        What's there to protect? It is widely known that Eric Ciaramella is the whistle blower. Type "whistle blower name" into any search engine, and Eric Ciaramella's name will be in the top results. Even Shifty Schiff outed the guy when he released a transcript revealing his name:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41026[/ATTACH]
        https://twitter.com/bennyjohnson/sta...istleblower%2F

No point trying to bolt the barn door now that the horse is already in the next state.
        you always have an excuse - but you are always siding with people in the wrong and attacking those trying to do right. That is your legacy on Donald Trump.
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

you always have an excuse - but you are always siding with people in the wrong and attacking those trying to do right.
          I wasn't sure if this should be categorized as ironic or hypocritical, but then my dilemma was resolved when I realized the two are not mutually exclusive.

Comment

By the way - aside from the fact it is illegal to out a whistle blower and you are now participating in an illegal act -
            That's been debunked.
            Does the whistleblower who filed a complaint about President Trump have a “statutory right” to remain anonymous, as Schiff claims?

It’s not a right spelled out in any statute. But national security experts warn that disclosing the whistleblower’s identity could expose him to danger and retribution, and chill whistleblowing in general.

Comment

That's been debunked.
              Does the whistleblower who filed a complaint about President Trump have a “statutory right” to remain anonymous, as Schiff claims?

It’s not a right spelled out in any statute. But national security experts warn that disclosing the whistleblower’s identity could expose him to danger and retribution, and chill whistleblowing in general.
              Fair enough.

I would add that it sounds like rather than 'debunked' it's more a bit vague. They are protected against retaliation, which outing in this case most certainly is a form of retaliation - so if one could get a jury to treat it as retaliation it could be a crime, or at least one could prosecute any retaliation that came as a consequence of it. My guess is Schiff is likely basing his claim on a perhaps tenuous extrapolation from that, but at the same time it sounds like it is true it is not explicitly stated they have a right to anonymity.

OTOH, without anonymity, the reality is there is no practical means of enforcing a protection from retaliation. It is just too easy to get back and someone and pretend is was for some 'other' reason, especially if one is patient and waits a while. Or in the case of actual physical attack, too easy to get someone else to do it for you and in a way that is hard to prevent or even find the perp ( a real concern in cases where the person exposed has strong criminal ties )
              Last edited by oxmixmudd; 11-22-2019, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Doesn't matter. But it is unlikely he does not know.

Nevertheless, I believe he has a responsibility, if he knows, to keep the identity secret, and thus not to confirm any rumors about the identity and to prevent any lines of questioning that might otherwise reveal that identity. And so any actions or comments that are being criticized here surrounding that issue and Schiff are related to him honoring his responsibility to do so.
                Doesn't matter? SERIOUSLY???? Jim, you KNOW that he knows. There's no way he can NOT know. He is flat out lying about this, and everybody knows it.

But it "doesn't matter"?

I guess that's OK, though - he hates Trump.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

That's been debunked.

The narrative that hoax blower Eric Ciaramella needs to be protected from conservatives is rather ironic when you consider that it's liberals in general who tend to be intolerant and violent.

https://nypost.com/2016/06/09/scienc...chotic-traits/
                  https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...y-think-215114
                  https://www.chicagotribune.com/opini...718-story.html
                  https://www.redstate.com/diary/nikit...heres-23-ways/

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    Doesn't matter? SERIOUSLY???? Jim, you KNOW that he knows. There's no way he can NOT know. He is flat out lying about this, and everybody knows it.

But it "doesn't matter"?

I guess that's OK, though - he hates Trump.
                    Schiff all but admitted he knew who the whistle blower was when he wouldn't allow Vindman to say the name of one of the two people he leaked information to, with Schiff insisting that the whistle blower's identity had to be protected. But how could he have known that Vindman was about to identify the whistle blower if neither of them know who he is? One of the Republicans even told Schiff to his face that nobody believed his claims of ignorance.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                      Does it matter given that the whistle-blower's complaints have been corroborated by numerous people. Besides he/she is protected by the Whistleblower Protection Act.
                      Evasion of the question noted. Everybody knows that Schiff knows who the alleged whistle blower is. He doesn't have to be a serial liar to protect him - he could simply declare it is his job to protect him. (Though there is nothing in the actual protection act that protects his identity)

Schiff is lying about his and everybody knows it.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Schiff all but admitted he knew who the whistle blower was when he wouldn't allow Vindman to say the name of one of the two people he leaked information to, with Schiff insisting that the whistle blower's identity had to be protected. But how could he have known that Vindman was about to identify the whistle blower if neither of them know who he is? One of the Republicans even told Schiff to his face that nobody believed his claims of ignorance.
                        Absolutely -- and was it Nunez -- who called him out on that?

Comment

The narrative that hoax blower Eric Ciaramella needs to be protected from conservatives is rather ironic when you consider that it's liberals in general who tend to be intolerant and violent.

https://nypost.com/2016/06/09/scienc...chotic-traits/
                          https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...y-think-215114
                          https://www.chicagotribune.com/opini...718-story.html
                          https://www.redstate.com/diary/nikit...heres-23-ways/
                          Also:
                          Source: Where Was the Love for Whistleblowers During the Obama Administration?

Obama remains enormously popular among Democrats. But many in the how-dare-President-Trump-attack-a-whistleblower camp paid little attention to Obama's unprecedented attack on whistleblowers, as well as on the reporters who reported on their whistleblowing. Liberal filmmaker Robert Greenwald released a documentary in 2013 called "War on Whistleblowers: Free Press and the National Security State" that examined the fate of four whistleblowers during the Obama administration. Greenwald said: "One of the things that was a common denominator with all the whistleblowers we interviewed is the terrible personal price they paid ... And what is happening over and over again is the Obama administration and previous administrations are literally shooting the messengers — punishing the whistleblowers, trying to pass laws that make it harder for whistleblowers."

In a 2011 article titled "Obama's War on Whistle-blowers," the center-left publication The Atlantic wrote: "The Justice Department's subpoena of New York Times reporter James Risen ... was the latest sign of how aggressive the Obama administration is being in its campaign against government whistle-blowers. The purpose of Risen's subpoena is to force him to testify that Jeffrey Sterling, a former CIA agent, gave him confidential information about the CIA's efforts to sabotage Iran's nuclear program. The extent to which the administration is prosecuting leakers has troubled those who see leakers as speakers of truth to power. 'In President Obama's 26 months in office, civilian and military prosecutors have charged five people in cases involving leaking information, more than all previous presidents combined,' reports the Times."

Similarly, in 2011, left-wing magazine The New Yorker wrote: "When President Barack Obama took office, in 2009, he championed the cause of government transparency, and spoke admiringly of whistle-blowers, whom he described as 'often the best source of information about waste, fraud, and abuse in government.' But the Obama Administration has pursued leak prosecutions with a surprising relentlessness. ... It has been using the Espionage Act to press criminal charges in five alleged instances of national-security leaks — more such prosecutions than have occurred in all previous Administrations combined."

Alex Gibney is a left-wing filmmaker described by the left-wing magazine Esquire as "the most important documentarian of our time." He directed the documentary "We Steal Secrets: The Story of WikiLeaks." As to Obama's treatment of whistleblowers and journalists who report their disclosures, Gibney said: "Let's be honest and say that the Obama administration is the most aggressive prosecutor of leaks in American history. And they're going after leakers and, in a collateral way, after journalists, in a way that is more aggressive than anything that has ever been seen in our history."

© Copyright Original Source

source
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Evasion of the question noted. Everybody knows that Schiff knows who the alleged whistle blower is. He doesn't have to be a serial liar to protect him - he could simply declare it is his job to protect him. (Though there is nothing in the actual protection act that protects his identity)

Schiff is lying about his and everybody knows it.
                            Schiff is stuck on this one because he's also trying to skate out from under the fact that he coordinated with Ciaramella to draft the "whistle blower" complaint, so he's trying to maintain an air of plausible denial by claiming, unconvincingly, that he doesn't know the guy.

Comment

Really simple yes or no question - do you honestly believe that Schiff does not know who the alleged whistle blower is?
                              Couldn't care less if he does or not, since it has nothing to do with the evidence uncovered.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                                Couldn't care less if he does or not, since it has nothing to do with the evidence uncovered.
                                If he knows, and he's ADAMantly declaring he doesn't, then he's lying - but that's probably OK, too, since he's your guy. So that doesn't surprise me at all.

Comment