Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Whistleblower identified

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
    And you wonder why I don't always go through the trouble of citing my sources. Did you even read it? Did you read the judges response to that argument? Apparently not. Go back and read it, and then tell me that the lawyer for the President never argued that the President could not be investigated.
    I don't care what the judge said in response, I care what Trump's lawyers actually said, and they never said what you say they said.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]40628[/ATTACH]
      A guy did that.

'Cause a gal wouldn't have taken the time out from yelling at whoever didn't replace the roll.

Comment

• Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
        This thread features a notable dearth of condemnation of these attempts to out a whistleblower who was already receiving death threats, so let's fix that.
        I condemn this attempt to out a whistleblower who was already subject to death threats.

People of good conscience needn't hang back on joining me.

I'll add that it is near certain that the whistleblower will eventually be named, and that the name cited in the o/p has not been confirmed (but is likely correct).

Now, on with the taunting ...

Just today, I found seer citing pewforum.org authoritatively, a source I've described as the premiere source on religious belief in America.

So there,

As if you didn't choose to pick Jesus' standard.

Pshh.

Or better, the standard that's been reported as coming from Jesus, by folks who don't seem otherwise more than middlin' honest in their reporting. Not that that matters if what they're reporting checks out.

A lot of the stuff reported from Jesus makes good sense, without needing to weigh it down with petty fallacies, like arguments from authority. "Love one another" is good advice for folks looking to get things done cooperatively.

Other stuff needs to be re-interpreted to get past the head-scratching.

A "brood of vipers" isn't evil, just dangerous, and even then only if mishandled, and its emphasis in Matthew likely tells us more about Matthew's penchant for hyperbole and fear of snakes than anything of actual import other than the possible lesson that even a god can have a bad day. Hardly news, or necessary though, as Leda'd likely agree.

There are things that one tradition does much better than another, though. No one does inner peace and tranquility better than the four noble truths of Buddhism. No one does healing better than the repentance and forgiveness of the Christians. No one does unity of humanity better than the Brahman of the Hindus.
        Don't worry about me, I'll just sit here in the dark.

Nobody does guilt better than Jewish mothers.

And nobody does baking better than the Jerk™.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40629[/ATTACH]

Come over to the dark side. We've got cookies.
        I'll join you. In fact, that was my first instinct, but I was so disgusted by MM's apparent glee over the thing I figured I'd probably say things I might later regret, so I held back.
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40628[/ATTACH]
          Well?
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

This thread features a notable dearth of condemnation of these attempts to out a whistleblower who was already receiving death threats, so let's fix that.
            I condemn this attempt to out a whistleblower who was already subject to death threats.

And I don't even need cookies to say it.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Life. Not light.

The way, the truth and the life.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                well?
                ok....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40630[/ATTACH]

Comment

Got me.

Comment

Got me.
                    I'm sure you knew better.

Comment

I'm sure you knew better.
                      Not too far off, in spirit, anyway. And thanks, but nah ... pure, plumb misremembered ... probably mangled it with John 1:1, 8:12, inter alia. I'm going to own it. That being an admission of error made so much easier by remembering I'll always have perfect hair.

Not to mention unexcelled wit, charm, and humility.

Comment

A lot of the stuff reported from Jesus makes good sense, without needing to weigh it down with petty fallacies, like arguments from authority. "Love one another" is good advice for folks looking to get things done cooperatively.

A "brood of vipers" isn't evil, just dangerous, and even then only if mishandled, and its emphasis in Matthew likely tells us more about Matthew's penchant for hyperbole and fear of snakes than anything of actual import other than the possible lesson that even a god can have a bad day. Hardly news, or necessary though, as Leda'd likely agree.

IVP Commentary on Matthew 3 v 7

Originally posted by Matthew 3 v 7
                        But seeing many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said to them, O generation of vipers, who has warned you to flee from the wrath to come?

Second, John's hearers were not all good descendants of their ancestors anyway. "Viper" was certainly an insult, and brood of vipers (offspring of vipers) carries the insult further. In the ancient Mediterranean many people thought of vipers as mother killers. In the fifth century B.C. Herodotus declared that newborn Arabian vipers chewed their way out of their mothers' wombs, killing their mothers in the process. Herodotus believed that they did so to avenge their fathers, who were slain by the mothers during procreation (Herod. Hist. 3.109). Later writers applied his words to serpents everywhere (Aelian On Animals 1.24; Pliny N.H. 10.170; Plut. Divine Vengeance 32, Mor. 567F). Calling John's hearers vipers would have been an insult, but calling them a brood of vipers accused them of killing their own mothers, indicating the utmost moral depravity. That Matthew applies this phrase to religious leaders may be unfortunately significant.
                        ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                          1) It is not a transcript- which is itself a problem. It should be a word for word transcript. But Trump doesnt want that. And we all know why.

2) It is itself damning enough that people aware of its implications but who wanted to protect Trump had it stashed on a server for classified or highly sensitive data

3) key elements specific to the content of Trumps 'favor' were purposefully omitted as we have been informed by eyewitness testimony. These elements show even more clearly the intent to condition the aid in an investigation of biden, not general corruption.

4)there is significant evidence outside the call itself which shows the investigation of the bidens was a precondition to the aid and to critical shows of support for ukraine and its new president by our president.

These are the simple facts rogue. And they show illegal quid pro quo for personal gain by Trump
                          We also just had testimony that what you said above is a load of hogswallop. And that from one of the carefully cherry-picked witnesses called by Schiff and his cronies (since he has forbidden the Republicans from calling any witnesses).

Morrison made it clear that nothing illegal was said during the call. And he made it clear that the Ukrainians had no idea that there was any kind of hold placed on shipments of arms[1]. And in spite of WaPo's truly bizarre claims that he testified that "Trump Appeared to Seek Quid Pro Quo" he actually shot that down (see previous sentence) as well as many other claims especially those made by Taylor.

1. hard to strong-arm someone who is blissfully unaware that leverage is being applied and given that they didn't do what the TDS crowd claims that Trump demanded provides even more corroboration that the supposed shakedown only exists in the fevered imagination of those who insist it just must have happened.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Not too far off, in spirit, anyway.
                            John relates the two quite closely.

And thanks, but nah ... pure, plumb misremembered ... probably mangled it with John 1:1, 8:12, inter alia. I'm going to own it. That being an admission of error made so much easier by remembering I'll always have perfect hair.

Not to mention unexcelled wit, charm, and humility.
                            OK, so listing things as the above - I has a professor who was adamant that the last of a group doesn't need the comma before the 'and'.

Which is it? Comma before the last 'and' or not?

Comment

People of good conscience needn't hang back on joining me.

I'll add that it is near certain that the whistleblower will eventually be named, and that the name cited in the o/p has not been confirmed (but is likely correct).

Now, on with the taunting ...

Just today, I found seer citing pewforum.org authoritatively, a source I've described as the premiere source on religious belief in America.

So there,

Pshh.

Or better, the standard that's been reported as coming from Jesus, by folks who don't seem otherwise more than middlin' honest in their reporting. Not that that matters if what they're reporting checks out.

There are things that one tradition does much better than another, though. No one does inner peace and tranquility better than the four noble truths of Buddhism. No one does healing better than the repentance and forgiveness of the Christians. No one does unity of humanity better than the Brahman of the Hindus.
                              Don't worry about me, I'll just sit here in the dark.

Nobody does guilt better than Jewish mothers.

And nobody does baking better than the Jerk™.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40629[/ATTACH]

Come over to the dark side. We've got cookies.
                              First a question. How does someone who was until recently anonymous receive death threats prior to their name being made public?

Second, your continued attempts at bribing folks with cookies is why I selected this smiley for you: Lao.gifThe Devil's baker

And third, bacon.

Does there really need to be anything more after #3?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                We also just had testimony that what you said above is a load of hogswallop. And that from one of the carefully cherry-picked witnesses called by Schiff and his cronies (since he has forbidden the Republicans from calling any witnesses).

Morrison made it clear that nothing illegal was said during the call. And he made it clear that the Ukrainians had no idea that there was any kind of hold placed on shipments of arms[1]. And in spite of WaPo's truly bizarre claims that he testified that "Trump Appeared to Seek Quid Pro Quo" he actually shot that down (see previous sentence) as well as many other claims especially those made by Taylor.

1. hard to strong-arm someone who is blissfully unaware that leverage is being applied and given that they didn't do what the TDS crowd claims that Trump demanded provides even more corroboration that the supposed shakedown only exists in the fevered imagination of those who insist it just must have happened.
                                Even Vindman, who obviously has an ax to grind against Trump, did not present a single fact that would lead to the conclusion that the President broke the law. The biggest take away from his testimony is that he doesn't like Trump's approach to foreign policy, but that's his problem and is not evidence of a crime.
                                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment