Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Fox News departure: Catherine Herridge joins CBS News, saying 'facts matter'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fox News departure: Catherine Herridge joins CBS News, saying 'facts matter'

Herridge.jpg

I really like her!

Fox News departure: Catherine Herridge joins CBS News, saying 'facts matter'

New York (CNN Business)In another major defection from the newsroom of Fox News, Catherine Herridge is joining CBS News as a senior investigative correspondent.

Herridge, Fox's chief intelligence correspondent, was a founding employee of Fox News in 1996 and a leader in the network's Washington bureau.

She was in talks to join CBS before Shep Smith, also a founding Fox employee, resigned on October 11 in the middle of a multi-year contract, according to two people with knowledge of the situation.

Herridge's Fox contract expired over the summer. Fox wanted her to renew, but knew her exit was a possibility, one of the sources said. Friday will be her last day.

In a statement released through Fox, Herridge thanked Fox patriarch Rupert Murdoch "for the opportunity to cover the most impactful stories of the last 23 years, most recently the Special Counsel report and impeachment inquiry. I have received great personal satisfaction from mentoring the next generation of reporters and producers and sharing my journalistic values — that facts matter and enterprise reporting will always win the day."

In a statement released through CBS, Herridge also invoked the importance of facts, but in a way that could be interpreted as a criticism of Fox: "CBS News has always placed a premium on enterprise journalism and powerful investigations," she said. "I feel privileged to join a team where facts and storytelling will always matter."
    CBS said she will begin her new role in November.

"She will report original investigations and cover national security and intelligence matters that impact the country," the network said.
    Herridge is the latest in a series of high-profile departures from Fox in the Trump age.

Some journalists at the network have complained about a lack of space for real reporting and described feeling squeezed out by the right-wing talk shows that President Trump and his supporters prefer.
    It is unknown whether Herridge felt those frustrations. She frequently appeared on Fox's opinion shows with her reporting, as well as daytime newscasts.

Fox News president Jay Wallace recently pushed back on the assertions that Fox's news operation is being minimized, saying, "Journalism is a huge part of the mandate here."
    Smith's 3 p.m. time slot is being filled by a rotating cast of Fox's news anchors. Wallace told Variety magazine that a new anchor will likely be named next year.
    Herridge's intel beat will similarly be filled by a rotation of DC-based correspondents, according to Fox.

Wallace praised Herridge in a statement about her departure on Thursday.
    "As a founding employee, over the last 23 years, Catherine Herridge has been an asset to Fox News," he said. "From her breaking news headlines at the Department of Homeland Security and the Department of Justice to her reporting after the 9/11 terrorist attacks and the investigation into Princess Diana's death, she has always been at the forefront of every beat she has covered," said Jay Wallace, president of Fox News Media. " We are grateful for Catherine's many contributions to the network, wish her continued success and were proud to honor her as she received the Tex McCrary Award for Journalism last week from the Congressional Medal of Honor Society for her enterprise reporting at Fox News."
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

I've not been watching FOX, so I don't have any impressions about her.

Sounds like she is trying to make a good impression for the CBS bosses.

(sorry for these late edits CP)

Do you think she will actually be able to fix things at CBS?
    Last edited by mikewhitney; 10-31-2019, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
      Do you think she will actually be able to fix things at CBS?
      Don't know, but I always thought she was top notch.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        It is Fox's loss...
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

This is really sad news for Fox. She's a top-notch, straight-up journalist. The only thing similarly bad would be losing Jennifer Griffin.
          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

The times that I saw her she always seemed completely professional.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Not a Joke?

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                Not a Joke?
                Correct. Now, take Rachel Maddow....

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  The times that I saw her she always seemed completely professional.
                  EGGzackly, and credible.

Comment

Correct. Now, take Rachel Maddow....
                    You've apparently never watched Maddow, there is none better. But glad you've acknowledged that your "journalism is a joke" comment only applied to the journalism you don't like hearing.

Comment

You've apparently never watched Maddow, there is none better.
                      I actually have - she's quite animated.

But glad you've acknowledged that your "journalism is a joke" comment only applied to the journalism you don't like hearing.
                      You're doing that thing again where you're proving you can't be a man of your word, Jim.

Comment

I actually have - she's quite animated.
                        She quite good at her job. You should watch more often, it might help you.

You're doing that thing again where you're proving you can't be a man of your word, Jim.
                        Your snide remarks have just been a little more subtle CP, as seen in the above post.

Comment

She quite good at her job. You should watch more often, it might help you.
                          I check in on her from time to time, Jim.

Your snide remarks have just been a little more subtle CP, as seen in the above post.
                          Sure, Jim.

Comment

You've apparently never watched Maddow, there is none better. But glad you've acknowledged that your "journalism is a joke" comment only applied to the journalism you don't like hearing.
                            I have watched her multiple times. She's one of the few out there that actually makes Sean Hannity look nonpartisan.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              I have watched her multiple times. She's one of the few out there that actually makes Sean Hannity look nonpartisan.
                              She's a trip, that's for sure.

Comment