Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: I am giving up...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    Update: I finished my degree on IT Management. Now I have to send out resumates, but hope is scarce. :(
    I hope those resumates find partners!

Seriously, best wishes to you in your job search!
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

2. Amen Seeker amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Unspecified
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    Given the present state of the world, you are far from alone.

What are you good at? What do you enjoy doing? [Apart that is from posting on internet boards!]
    To be honest, I don't even enjoy posting on this or other boards, I am just so used to it that it became a habit (instead of merely a hobby). As I said above, I finished a degree on IT Management, but I don't like IT. I enjoy biology. I started out having this interest mainly as theological discussions on creation/evolution, but now I enjoy it on it's own. Maybe the next thing I should do is get a biology degree, but I don't see myself as a teacher, so it seems moot either way. Therefore, I am currently at a loss.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Update: I finished my degree on IT Management. Now I have to send out resumates, but hope is scarce. :(
    Congratulations!

5. Amen Cow Poke, Seeker amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    To be honest, I don't even enjoy posting on this or other boards, I am just so used to it that it became a habit (instead of merely a hobby). As I said above, I finished a degree on IT Management, but I don't like IT. I enjoy biology. I started out having this interest mainly as theological discussions on creation/evolution, but now I enjoy it on it's own. Maybe the next thing I should do is get a biology degree, but I don't see myself as a teacher, so it seems moot either way. Therefore, I am currently at a loss.
    That's sad --- I always encourage people "find something you enjoy doing, and find a way to get paid doing it". I LOVED IT, so I got involved in it, benefited greatly from it, and still dabble in it, though no longer "in the business".

I think this is advice we should give all people -- find something you love doing*, and figure out a way to get paid doing it.

*assuming, of course, as a Christian, that it's something legal, moral, ethical....
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

7. Amen Seeker amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Unspecified
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    That's sad --- I always encourage people "find something you enjoy doing, and find a way to get paid doing it". I LOVED IT, so I got involved in it, benefited greatly from it, and still dabble in it, though no longer "in the business".

I think this is advice we should give all people -- find something you love doing*, and figure out a way to get paid doing it.

*assuming, of course, as a Christian, that it's something legal, moral, ethical....
    I read you're a professional pastor? Just curious.

EDIT: Thanks, Cow Poke and Sparko.
    Last edited by Seeker; 07-28-2020 at 11:06 AM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post

That's what I did. I liked art, electronics and computers. So I ended up doing graphic design and video on a computer. I am currently working in generic IT but I also do most of the powerpoints and video editing at my current job.

Seeker, if you had a degree in biology, you could get a job working in research labs, or even in the corporate world. A lot of companies have biologists on staff to come up with new formulas, "green" compliance, etc.

You might even try to get a job at a lab or something right now working in IT and work in the biology field.

10. Amen Seeker amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I read you're a professional pastor? Just curious.
    Laughing.... um, I'd hardly call myself professional, but I work at it every day.

Fact is, that MOST of my ministry life, I have been a bivocational minister --- meaning I had a secular job that paid the bills, and often, I served in churches (yeah, bragging again) where I tithed more than I got paid.
    But that was because I am, by nature, a problem resolution and crisis management kind of guy.

My current ministry role is full time, but when I first came to this church, they were in serious trouble, barely paying bills, and a total congregation of 17 people.
    We had just gotten to the point of approaching 100 in regular attendance when Covid hit, so we have another set-back, but I think we're managing that well.

EDIT: Thanks, Cow Poke and Sparko.

Incidentally, the way I got into "the computer business" is...

I was working for a church as College Minister way back before computers were commonly used in churches, and "church management systems" were incredibly expensive.
    So, I got a copy of Ashton Tate dBase, and wrote my own computer program for attendance, mailing, contact, membership, etc...

A Church of Christ minister stopped by one day to pick me up for lunch, and I was finishing up writing some code.
    He asked me what I was doing, and when I explained I was writing a Church Management Software, he asked if I could do that for his church.

I said "sure", I'd just change some of the terminology, and maybe some different text field labels, but, sure!
    He asked, "how much would you charge?"

I was captivated --- "CHARGE?" I can CHARGE for that?
    And I started selling my computer program, getting more and more involved in IT.
    I had ZERO formal training in IT until much later, when I did the CCNA, etc, stuff, and got certifications and one degree in computer stuff.

Subsequently, I sold my computer program to another company, and started my own computer consulting business, which God has blessed amazingly well.

12. Amen Seeker, lee_merrill amen'd this post.