Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: I am giving up...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    If I am reading that article right, I have to disagree. I think finding something you enjoy doing and finding a way to make a career out of it, is very satisfying. You just have to be realistic about it. My "passions" have always been art and computers. My current job combines both. I work IT at a law firm where I do graphics, video, exhibits for trials and so on. No it isn't fine art, but it is a creative outlet which I love. I can always do fine art on my own. Is the job tedious at times? Sure, any job is. But I would much rather be doing what I like than spending 30 years drudging away at something I don't like.
    I think the obvious exception is where your purpose and your passion align, and actually allow you to make a living.

My Dad would always hold his left hand out to the left, and say "there are jobs you can do where you make a lot of money, but hate going to work" (then same with his right hand, to show the "spread") "and there are jobs that you love, but you can't pay the rent" (then he would move his hands closer together) and say "you wanna be somewhere in here".

I loved my police work, but couldn't really raise a family on that pay --- I loved my computer work, and made quite a bit of money, but I LOVE my pastor job, and they actually pay me a decent salary!
    Last edited by Cow Poke; 12-13-2019 at 08:50 AM.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I think the obvious exception is where your purpose and your passion align, and actually allow you to make a living.
    And your skills. Like Mike Rowe said in the video, if you have passion but no skill then you will be a failure. You might love to be an artist but can't draw a straight line. Then you are reduced to taping bananas to walls for $120K. Wait, that argument didn't go where I intended.

3. Amen Cow Poke, LostSheep, Seeker amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Unspecified
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    People here are talking as if I am somehow struggling between passion and pragmatism. That would be true if I DID have passion for something, which is not the case. Well, judge me as ''childish'' if you want, but I enjoy manga, for one...

God, family, chicken! Bill the Cat's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    People here are talking as if I am somehow struggling between passion and pragmatism. That would be true if I DID have passion for something, which is not the case. Well, judge me as ''childish'' if you want, but I enjoy manga, for one...
    There's money to be made on YouTube doing Manga reviews.

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

tWebber
    Faith
    Unspecified
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    There's money to be made on YouTube doing Manga reviews.
    There are several factors to be considered, though.

1. Is there a market for such stuff in my country?

2. If there is, is it overstuffed/too much crowed already?

3. I need the proper equipment (i.e., a good camera, at least) to make the videos.

I can think of those 3 just offhand. So it's not that easy. Good idea, though. I appreciate the input.
    Last edited by Seeker; 12-18-2019 at 07:12 AM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    There are several factors to be considered, though.

1. Is there a market for such stuff in my country?
    The nice thing about the Internet and Youtube is that it is international.

tWebber
    Faith
    Unspecified
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The nice thing about the Internet and Youtube is that it is international.
    Yes, but it has to be marketed in the right language. What, I am supposed to record the videos in English?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yes, but it has to be marketed in the right language. What, I am supposed to record the videos in English?
    My point was that you don't have to just market yourself in your own country. So, yeah you could record the videos in English and have a much larger international market instead.

If your spoken English is as good as your written English, you will have no problem. I had no clue you were not a native English speaker until you just mentioned that your country's (which one is it?) language wasn't English.

tWebber
    Faith
    Unspecified
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    My point was that you don't have to just market yourself in your own country. So, yeah you could record the videos in English and have a much larger international market instead.

If your spoken English is as good as your written English, you will have no problem. I had no clue you were not a native English speaker until you just mentioned that your country's (which one is it?) language wasn't English.
    Ok, I get it.

tWebber
    Faith
    Unspecified
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I have these weird thoughts that the recent past (end of 2017-2019) were ''crazy years'', and I am hoping that 2020 won't be so crazy. Should I seek help for having such thoughts? I mean, what a year has to do with craziness in any way? Does anyone else here ever thought the same way?