Humanist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

In China, every day is Kristallnacht

In China, every day is Kristallnacht
    By Fred Hiatt
    November 3 at 11:00 AM

In China, every day is Kristallnacht.

Eighty-one years ago this week, in what is also known as the “Night of Broken Glass,” hundreds of synagogues and Jewish cemeteries in Nazi Germany were damaged or destroyed, along with thousands of Jewish-owned businesses. It was in a sense the starting gun for the genocide that culminated in the extermination camps of Auschwitz, Sobibor and Treblinka.

In western China, the demolition of mosques and bulldozing of cemeteries is a continuing, relentless process.

Now.

2019-11-03_17-10-05.jpg
    Satellite images via Google Earth

v. then.

2019-11-03_17-09-39.jpg
    Satellite image analysis by Uyghurism.com/Bahram Sintash

In a cultural genocide with few parallels since World War II, thousands of Muslim religious sites have been destroyed. At least 1 million Muslims have been confined to camps, where aging imams are shackled and young men are forced to renounce their faith. Muslims not locked away are forced to eat during the fasting month of Ramadan, forced to drink and smoke in violation of their faith, barred from praying or studying the Koran or making the pilgrimage to Mecca.

And — in possibly the most astonishing feature of this crime against humanity — China has managed to stifle, through 21st century repression and age-old thuggery, virtually any reporting from the crime scene.

Hiatt is the Post's editorial page editor. Sintash is, well ...

Sintash, 37, lives in the United States but grew up in what is now, he says, “a police surveillance state unlike any the world has ever known.” Sintash knows: Chinese police took his father into custody in February 2018, and Sintash has not heard from him since.

Demolishing Faith: The Destruction and Desecration of Uyghur Mosques and Shrines

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    wow
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    They fear religion, what do you expect from a Communist country? Human rights?
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

radical strawberry
    Faith
    Humanist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    wow
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    The motivations are one thing, and the methods are another. I've been following this story for some time now, and what's most remarkable is how difficult it's been to get any story at all out of Xinjiang. Official counts have thousands up to tens of thousands where other accounts speak of up to a million of these Uighurs in what amount to concentration camps. There are pics of city streets ...

2019-11-03_20-36-57.jpg

And then add in facial recognition software, social worth databases, and open source tools used to model and effect behavior at the societal level ... can't remember that one clearly enough to do a google search, but it scared the crap out of me when I first read it a year or so ago.

The really scary thing about big brother is when it's someone else's big brother looking to take advantage of his newfound muscle in new neighborhoods.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Juvenal View Post
    The motivations are one thing, and the methods are another. I've been following this story for some time now, and what's most remarkable is how difficult it's been to get any story at all out of Xinjiang. Official counts have thousands up to tens of thousands where other accounts speak of up to a million of these Uighurs in what amount to concentration camps. There are pics of city streets ...

2019-11-03_20-36-57.jpg

And then add in facial recognition software, social worth databases, and open source tools used to model and effect behavior at the societal level ... can't remember that one clearly enough to do a google search, but it scared the crap out of me when I first read it a year or so ago.

The really scary thing about big brother is when it's someone else's big brother looking to take advantage of his newfound muscle in new neighborhoods.
    I knew about significant clamping down from our who missionaries who... um.. are not officially there... had no idea about the Muslims.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

radical strawberry
    Faith
    Humanist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I knew about significant clamping down from our who missionaries who... um.. are not officially there... had no idea about the Muslims.
    Clamping down on missionaries is the runny edge of the egg.

The yolk is large scale social engineering, beginning with the kind of mass relocations of Han populations used in the assimilation of Tibet, a cultural annihilation typified by naming their own Panchen lama (and choosing Catholic archbishops).

Tibet was just a few million people.

Xinjiang is around 20 million; it's a semi-autonomous region tucked up against the 'stans. They're not just adding in modern tech methods — which would be scary enough — they're scaling up. Most countries don't have 20 million people.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Juvenal View Post
    I have read about the Uighurs, the thing is, none of this is surprising. What is surprising is how we in the West keep supporting this regime through trade... Remember the logic - if we open up markets with China that will foster democratic reforms. It only made it easier and more efficient for them to enforce their totalitarian inclinations.
    Last edited by seer; 11-03-2019 at 08:29 PM.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

8. Amen Teallaura, Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    What is surprising is how we in the West keep supporting this regime through trade... Remember the logic - if we open up markets with China that will foster democratic reforms. It only made it easier and more efficient for them to enforce their totalitarian inclinations.
    Part of the real logic is $$$, billions to be made from off-shoring production to China. That's pure capitalism.
    Trump is basically "Bruce Wayne pretending to be a foppish retarded billionaire" tier genius, in case nerds need a simpler metaphor.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by demi-conservative View Post
    Part of the real logic is $$$, billions to be made from off-shoring production to China. That's pure capitalism.
    That is why I'm a protectionist...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    It's somewhat ironic that China is doing to Islam what Islam does to the rest of the world.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra