Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

In China, every day is Kristallnacht

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Were they possibly concerned about the other spying on them and saying something that might affect their family at home?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

In China, the authorities don’t need and won’t ask for permission. Instead, they ask, what makes you think that this is your country. We make the rules.

Trump Republicans think the same way.
      “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
      “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
      “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
        In China, the authorities don’t need and won’t ask for permission. Instead, they ask, what makes you think that this is your country. We make the rules.

I dont see how comments like this help anyone. The way I see it anybody can become a tyrant regardless of sociopolitical belief.

China has had some incredibly evil leaders throughout its several thousand year history. Mao was a despotic man who lead to a truly ghastly amount of death.

To tell the truth first floor even if I dont agree with you I do try to see the best in folks. I hope and pray for the best for everyone here.

China needs help.
        sigpic

Comment

Why did you do that? You knew full well that this would lead to a multi page derail when every other thread in this section is already about Trump, and this thread so far had actually garnered separate discussion of its own.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Why did you do that? You knew full well that this would lead to a multi page derail when every other thread in this section is already about Trump, and this thread so far had actually garnered separate discussion of its own.
            No need for a derail. Just get back on track.
            sigpic

Comment

ff has a quota of obvious trolling that he must fulfill.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Because he's a .

Comment

In the aftermath of the September 11 attacks on New York, and America’s declaration of a “Global War on Terror”, China followed suit and proclaimed its own war on religious extremism and terrorism in Xinjiang, and the region’s descent into violence and repression began. It has reached the scale of cultural genocide.
                  “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                  “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

In the aftermath of the September 11 attacks on New York, and America’s declaration of a “Global War on Terror”, China followed suit and proclaimed its own war on religious extremism and terrorism in Xinjiang, and the region’s descent into violence and repression began. It has reached the scale of cultural genocide.
                    That is just stupid FF, like China wouldn't have cracked down on religious extremism without 9/11...
                    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

This is not some of your better comedy.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        This is not some of your better comedy.
                        This thing has a long and complex history.
                        https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terr...China#Xinjiang

Comment

This thing has a long and complex history.
                          Yes, MUCH longer than the relatively recent attacks on the Twin Towers. I'll be happy to use my mod powers to delete that silly post if you'd like me to.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            Yes, MUCH longer than the relatively recent attacks on the Twin Towers. I'll be happy to use my mod powers to delete that silly post if you'd like me to.
                            It’s there in the fifth paragraph of the wiki page (link above). I don’t see anything silly about it. But, if you think I am being insensitive, then please remove the offending material.

Comment

It’s there in the fifth paragraph of the wiki page (link above). I don’t see anything silly about it. But, if you think I am being insensitive, then please remove the offending material.
                              Nope - it will be there for posterity as a witness to millions (ok, the 10-12 members and a couple dozen visitors) of Twebbers for time and all eternity (or until our next crash, for which we are about due).

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
                                This has been ongoing for decades and decades, but kept low grade for most of the period due to pressure from the U.S. and bad publicity from their earlier campaign in Tibet.

After 9/11, China was given a green light, and this is where they've come to since.
                                Originally posted by seer View Post
                                ... like China wouldn't have cracked down on religious extremism without 9/11...
                                China wields as much influence as it can afford to wield, whether it's in autonomous and semi-autonomous regions identified with indigenous religions, like Tibet and Xinjiang, or the former British colony of Hong Kong, or whatever we're going to call the dredged-up bases in the south China sea.

So do the Brits, or "did" if we're going to be scrupulous, and so do we.

We've justified our influence as in line with our founders' desires for self-determination, government "by the people and for the people," and for "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness," reinforced by human rights initiatives and agreements we've succeeded in convincing others adopt as their own, with mixed success in implementation.

China is focused on the paired interests of public order and prosperity, reinforced by an increasingly despotic government, including recent changes that will likely make President Xi a president-for-life.

Comment