Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: In China, every day is Kristallnacht

Faith
    invalid value
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    This is not some of your better comedy.
    This thing has a long and complex history.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terr...China#Xinjiang
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” ― Anne Lamott
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by firstfloor View Post
    This thing has a long and complex history.
    Yes, MUCH longer than the relatively recent attacks on the Twin Towers. I'll be happy to use my mod powers to delete that silly post if you'd like me to.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

Faith
    invalid value
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yes, MUCH longer than the relatively recent attacks on the Twin Towers. I'll be happy to use my mod powers to delete that silly post if you'd like me to.
    It’s there in the fifth paragraph of the wiki page (link above). I don’t see anything silly about it. But, if you think I am being insensitive, then please remove the offending material.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” ― Anne Lamott
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    It’s there in the fifth paragraph of the wiki page (link above). I don’t see anything silly about it. But, if you think I am being insensitive, then please remove the offending material.
    Nope - it will be there for posterity as a witness to millions (ok, the 10-12 members and a couple dozen visitors) of Twebbers for time and all eternity (or until our next crash, for which we are about due).
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

radical strawberry
    Faith
    Humanist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Juvenal View Post
    This has been ongoing for decades and decades, but kept low grade for most of the period due to pressure from the U.S. and bad publicity from their earlier campaign in Tibet.

After 9/11, China was given a green light, and this is where they've come to since.
    In the aftermath of the September 11 attacks on New York, and America’s declaration of a “Global War on Terror”, China followed suit and proclaimed its own war on religious extremism and terrorism in Xinjiang, and the region’s descent into violence and repression began. It has reached the scale of cultural genocide.
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    ... like China wouldn't have cracked down on religious extremism without 9/11...
    China wields as much influence as it can afford to wield, whether it's in autonomous and semi-autonomous regions identified with indigenous religions, like Tibet and Xinjiang, or the former British colony of Hong Kong, or whatever we're going to call the dredged-up bases in the south China sea.

So do the Brits, or "did" if we're going to be scrupulous, and so do we.

We've justified our influence as in line with our founders' desires for self-determination, government "by the people and for the people," and for "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness," reinforced by human rights initiatives and agreements we've succeeded in convincing others adopt as their own, with mixed success in implementation.

China is focused on the paired interests of public order and prosperity, reinforced by an increasingly despotic government, including recent changes that will likely make President Xi a president-for-life.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    It is not just Islam Demi - it is anything where the state feels threatened or a loss of control.
    Don't be naive, seer, all states that want to stay in control have to crack down on threats. How did the secession of the southern states turn out?
    Trump is basically "Bruce Wayne pretending to be a foppish retarded billionaire" tier genius, in case nerds need a simpler metaphor.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Juvenal View Post
    We've justified our influence as in line with our founders' desires for self-determination, government "by the people and for the people," and for "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness,"
    Hilarious.
    Trump is basically "Bruce Wayne pretending to be a foppish retarded billionaire" tier genius, in case nerds need a simpler metaphor.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    This is not some of your better comedy.
    He is right to point out that China joined the US's initiative of the 'Global War on Terror', and that these measures stem from it.

Juvenal is still a journalist at heart, regurgitating one side's story without presenting the true context of the constant and growing threat of Islamic extremism in the region. He knows it because he mentions more than once that Uyghur is next to the stans, but in line with journalistic practice and training, everything against the narrative must be omitted if at all possible. A true journalist.