Announcement

Collapse

LDS - Mormonism Guidelines

Theists only.

Look! It's a bird, no it's a plane, no it's a bicycle built for two!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the LDS - Mormons. This forum is generally for theists only, and is generaly not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theists may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Due to the sensitive nature of the LDS Temple Ceremonies to our LDS posters, we do not allow posting exact text of the temple rituals, articles describing older versions of the ceremony, or links that provide the same information. However discussion of generalities of the ceremony are not off limits. If in doubt, PM the area mod or an Admin

Non-theists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Internet is Destroying the LDS Church

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NRA-Jeff View Post
    I am not sure this counts, but here is one possible answer:

"...some of your 'prophets' said and did some really dumb things..."
    I know some really smart people who have done some really dumb things.

My recollection does not agree with yours. I will say that there have been occasions (not necessarily here) when I have cited Athanasius merely as a rebuttal to the sweeping accusation that "Christians have never believed that humans can become gods." I didn't claim that Athanasius' understanding of theosis was identical to LDS doctrine on the subject, but some Trinitarians accused me of making that claim. Those Trinitarians were mistaken.
    Have you actually read Athanasius? I challenged you do to so on the old TWeb, but I don't recall you ever responding that you had. Athanasius understood there was a fundamental difference between Creator and created, without which his stance against Arius makes no sense. To the extent that Mormons believe that humans can become gods, Christians have indeed never believed that humans can become gods. Your claim to Athanasius as support for Mormon beliefs is disingenuous at best.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by seven7up View Post
      Every single person , except Jesus, who has ever lived has said and done things that are just plain DUMB. (This is especially true from the perspective of people in a modern society who have unlimited information at our fingertips.)

Get over it. Work on the beams in your own eyes, rather than trying to dissect the motes of people who lived a long time ago in a less progressive culture and when different sentimentalities reigned.

-7up
      Was that in the Book of Acts where Peter preached against alcohol, then opened up a bar in the hotel he owned? Or how bout when Paul wrote that polygamy was an abomination, then changed his mind and it was a commandment, and even had a "prophecy" where he threatened his own wife with destruction if she didn't go along with it, then it was no longer a commandment again?

OH WAIT!!!! That wasn't OUR guys!!! It was JOSEPH SMITH!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Yeah, Jeff, I've heard all the "that's what an atheist would say" arguments, but they just don't float... did ANY of the REAL prophets claim that every word they spoke was scripture, ...
        I think that, even from the time of Joseph Smith, it was made clear that prophets were not infallible and not every single thing they said should be considered scripture.

But the gift of prophecy is not restricted to those whose words have been recorded in scripture. By scriptural definition, a prophet is anyone who has a testimony of Jesus Christ and is moved by the Holy Ghost (Rev. 19:10; cf. TPJS, pp. 119, 160). Moses, voicing his approval of two men who had prophesied, exclaimed, "Would God that all the Lord's people were prophets, and that the Lord would put his spirit upon them!" (Num. 11:26-29). Schools of prophets and "sons" (followers) of prophets, some false and some true, existed in large numbers in Old Testament times. In modern times, speaking of Brigham Young, Elder Wilford Woodruff said, "He is a prophet, I am a prophet, you are, and anybody is a prophet who has the testimony of Jesus Christ, for that is the spirit of prophecy" (JD 13:165; see Spirit of Prophecy). It follows that this spirit does not operate in every utterance of its possessor. The Prophet Joseph Smith explained that "a prophet [is] a prophet only when he [is] acting as such" (HC 5:265).

http://eom.byu.edu/index.php/Prophet
        -7up

Comment

I think that, even from the time of Joseph Smith, it was made clear that prophets were not infallible and not every single thing they said should be considered scripture.-7up
          Including when they SAY that everything they say is scripture?

Why don't you just admit that Brigham Young was a major screwup?

Are you UNAWARE of the claims he made?
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I think this is the Mormon attempt to equate Mormon 'prophets' with the best of the REAL Prophets, not try to throw them under the bus by claiming they're "just good ol' boys" like those sinful prophets of old.

Source: lds.org/scriptures

1 My servant, Orson Hyde, was called by his ordination to proclaim the everlasting gospel, by the Spirit of the living God, from people to people, and from land to land, in the congregations of the wicked, in their synagogues, reasoning with and expounding all scriptures unto them.

2 And, behold, and lo, this is an ensample unto all those who were ordained unto this priesthood, whose mission is appointed unto them to go forth—

3 And this is the ensample unto them, that they shall speak as they are moved upon by the Holy Ghost.

4 And whatsoever they shall speak when moved upon by the Holy Ghost shall be scripture, shall be the will of the Lord, shall be the mind of the Lord, shall be the word of the Lord, shall be the voice of the Lord, and the power of God unto salvation.

© Copyright Original Source

To suggest that these people are CONSTANTLY being inspired by the Holy Spirit in order to write scripture was never purported. It did not apply to the OT prophets, the NT apostles, and it does not apply to LDS leaders either.

-7up

Comment

To suggest that these people are CONSTANTLY being inspired by the Holy Spirit in order to write scripture was never purported. It did not apply to the OT prophets, the NT apostles, and it does not apply to LDS leaders either.

-7up
              So, Brigham Young was smoking crack?

Comment

Including when they SAY that everything they say is scripture?

Why don't you just admit that Brigham Young was a major screwup?

Are you UNAWARE of the claims he made?
                I am aware of the claims he made. But he was not a "screwup".

He was twice the man that you will ever be, and as an instrument in God's hands, accomplished more than you could ever hope to accomplish.

-7up

Comment

I am aware of the claims he made. But he was not a "screwup".

He was twice the man that you will ever be,
                  So why are your buddies always throwing him under the bus?

and as an instrument in God's hands, accomplished more than you could ever hope to accomplish.

-7up
                  Here's what one of your idols said:

“I have never yet preached a sermon and sent it out to the children of men, that they may not call scripture” (Ezra Taft Benson, Fourteen Fundamentals of Following the Prophet, press copy, 6-7).

Commence kabuki dance.

Comment

He was twice the man that you will ever be,
                    He was rather portly, wasn't he?

Mormon-LDS-Meme-Funny-20.jpg
                    That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                      He was rather portly, wasn't he?
                      Which is why he's REALLY uncomfortable when all the Mormons throw him under the bus.

(His beard reminds me of Si)

Comment

• Originally posted by DigitalInkling View Post
                        http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/21/us...oubt.html?_r=0

Honest men like Hans Mattsson are asking serious questions. They have been decieved and the dissonance between what is true and what the leaders of the Mormon church has taught is growing.

If the Church tells the true story many more people will leave Mormonism or live in a state of dissonance.

The question is will these revelations destroy the church or will the church actually start to distance itself from the prophets prophecies and call them more of opinions. It sounds like in the case of Bringham Young the church is fine with distancing themselves from his doctrines.

Interesting questions.... right?
                        The majority of converts leave within one year. Once they learn the truth about Mormonism, and the lifestyle of Joseph Smith, they just stop attending. More often than not, however, they are still counted as members because they haven't gone through the formal resignation process, don't want the hassle. Mormon membership rolls are very inflated.

Comment

• Originally posted by carbon dioxide View Post
                          "But Mr. Mattsson and others say the disillusionment is infecting the church’s best and brightest. A survey of more than 3,300 Mormon disbelievers, released last year, found that more than half of the men and four in 10 of the women had served in leadership positions in the church."

This statement I found to be extremely interesting and funny. Most members of the Church at one time or another are put in some leadership position of some sort. It would be a rare thing for any member to go a long period of time and not get a leadership calling.
                          You base that on what? Many people just can't lead, but are good followers.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X