Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Sondland admits quid pro quo

Faith
    invalid value
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    He was just practicing the principle of "underpromise - overdeliver".
    The two of us could rule the world, CP.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” ― Anne Lamott
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

2. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtfloor View Post
    Mueller catalogued his crimes for posterity. Not enough Americans care to read the evidence. It will make a good movie but it might not have a satisfying ending; the crook walks free.
    Not even Mueller was confident enough in the findings of his own investigation to state plainly that the president committed a crime or to recommend indictment.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

4. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    invalid value
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Not even Mueller was confident enough in the findings of his own investigation to state plainly that the president committed a crime or to recommend indictment.
    Rightly or wrongly, Mueller chose leave it to Congress. They, so far, have failed to do their duty; for political reasons.

Why is it that Trump and Barr are so keen to undermine Mueller, if there are no crimes?
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” ― Anne Lamott
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Hasn't Pelosi given the green light for impeachment?
    Pelosi is being jerked all over the map. Her moderates are going to be livid if they don't see positive numbers in their districts soon. Her leftists aren't going to give up their favorite bone. And Schiff isn't delivering the goods Pelosi needs. Her best bet is to declare victory, end the mess and retire.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    As this article points out, Jim, it happens far more than you'd imagine...

Criminally Yours: Lying To Get To The Truth

Why would someone ever admit to a crime he didn't commit? How could anyone be so naive or stupid? But not only does it happen, it happens more frequently than you would imagine. Why?

A hot topic in criminal law is “false confessions.” Why would someone ever admit to a crime he didn’t commit? How could anyone be so naive or stupid?

But not only does it happen, it happens more frequently than you would imagine. Why?

In large part because it’s legal for police to tell suspects the boldest lies in order to wrangle a confession from them. Among the most common lies are:

– “We’ve got you on video doing the crime, so you might as well admit it.”

– “This is only a small case, just say you did it and you’ll get a drug program.”

and...

The only way psychological gamesmanship might be disapproved by the court is if it’s so egregious as to offend “the notion of fundamental fairness.” But boy, is that a big hurdle.

Take the case of Matthew Thomas. Police lied to him in a manner so egregious, even John McCain would have cracked. Thomas was accused of killing his four-month-old son. After being interrogated for more than nine hours, he was told that if he didn’t admit to doing the crime, his wife would be arrested for it and dragged from the baby’s hospital bedside because “one of them had to have done it.” They told him the baby was still alive, and that his information would save the child’s life. Another lie — the baby was already dead. They told him they were sure it was an accident, and if he just admitted it, he could go home. Right.

The trial judge found that the confession was not only voluntary, but that defense counsel had no right to put on an expert in police interrogation techniques to speak about the phenomenon of false confessions.

Police fed Thomas information about how they believed the death occurred then prodded him to parrot it back.

I was taught in basic police school this "it's ok to lie to get a confession" -- I never felt comfortable with that, but, yeah - it happens FAR more than you'd ever imagine.
    Which is why you don't talk to the cops; you talk to your lawyer.

And yes, it's a stupid way to run a railroad...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by firstfloor View Post
    Mueller catalogued his crimes for posterity. Not enough Americans care to read the evidence. It will make a good movie but it might not have a satisfying ending; the crook walks free.
    The Washington Post is doing a comic book version.

The report is not worth the paper it's printed on, let alone the $30 M investigation.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    The Washington Post is doing a comic book version.

The report is not worth the paper it's printed on, let alone the $30 M investigation.
    MAD Magazine published a coloring book version of the Oliver North hearings, so is the Washington Post also trying its hand at satire?
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

10. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    MAD Magazine published a coloring book version of the Oliver North hearings ...
    Is it possible to get more 20th century than that? rhetorical question

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

12. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    MAD Magazine published a coloring book version of the Oliver North hearings, so is the Washington Post also trying its hand at satire?
    Hard to tell - they want more people to read the compelling second half of the report. It's getting hard to distinguish satire from stupidity.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    So, the Senate is only 'scrupulous' if they convict? Can we see the testimony under oath, subject to cross-examination first, please?
    To convict Trump on impeachment charges, 20 GOP senators will need to break ranks. And that’s not going to happen whilst there is a risk of alienating those in the electorate that put Trump into power. Sadly, political survival rather than justice and integrity rule the day, regardless of the damning evidence of abuse of power against Trump.

But, yes, you're pretty much admitting this is all political, like I stated before - it's a "show trial",
    No. It's Congress fulfilling its duty as a co-equal branch of power to maintain oversight over the Executive Branch. Congressional oversight of the Executive Branch is a critical part of the US federal government's system of checks and balances
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.