Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Election results for Virginia and Kentucky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Election results for Virginia and Kentucky

Republicans are paying the price early for the albatross Donald Trump hang around their neck trounced in Virginia and the lazer thin margin win for the Kentucky governor. 2020 is looking bleak for Trump.

Source: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/virginia-election-results-today-race-2019-11-05-live-updates/

Democrats on Tuesday erased the razor-thin majorities Republicans held in the State Capitol and now hold all three branches of government in Virginia for the first time in a generation, The Associated Press reports.

The elections in Virginia received nationwide attention and visits from national politicians including Vice President Mike Pence and former Vice President Joe Biden because of the signal they could send about how the parties should message, especially in the suburbs, ahead of 2020.

The Democrats went into Election Day hoping to build off of their performance in the state in 2017 and the party's performance nationwide in 2018. In 2017, Democrats flipped 15 seats in the House and reelected Democratic Governor Ralph Northam.

© Copyright Original Source

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Virginia is on the broad path that leads to destruction. Not a big surprise to see the state swing Democrat.

Kentucky is an odd one, because a Democrat barely won the governorship (maybe; there's likely going to be a recount), but the other five down ballot elections went to Republicans, including the election of the first black Attorney General and the first black to serve in a statewide office in the state's history and the first Republican to serve in that role in 70-years. It's also worth noting that Kentucky has historically favored Democrat governors for whatever reason. Since 1851, 33 out of 43 governors have been Democrat.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
      Republicans are paying the price early for the albatross Donald Trump hang around their neck trounced in Virginia and the lazer thin margin win for the Kentucky governor. 2020 is looking bleak for Trump.

Source: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/virginia-election-results-today-race-2019-11-05-live-updates/

Democrats on Tuesday erased the razor-thin majorities Republicans held in the State Capitol and now hold all three branches of government in Virginia for the first time in a generation, The Associated Press reports.

The elections in Virginia received nationwide attention and visits from national politicians including Vice President Mike Pence and former Vice President Joe Biden because of the signal they could send about how the parties should message, especially in the suburbs, ahead of 2020.

The Democrats went into Election Day hoping to build off of their performance in the state in 2017 and the party's performance nationwide in 2018. In 2017, Democrats flipped 15 seats in the House and reelected Democratic Governor Ralph Northam.

Re-elected Northam?? This is the sort of ignorance that I adore about you out of towners...
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        Virginia is on the broad path that leads to destruction. Not a big surprise to see the state swing Democrat..
        Actually, we in VA suffered from dramatic Democrat gerrymandering in Tidewater and Richmond.
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
          Actually, we in VA suffered from dramatic Democrat gerrymandering in Tidewater and Richmond.
          https://cookpolitical.com/index.php/...t-does-it-mean

2. Virginia's new map makes Democrats the favorites to win the House of Delegates this fall. In 2017, a random drawing from a bowl to decide a tied race allowed Republicans to keep control of the chamber by a single seat. But the new map, which makes changes to 25 of 100 districts, unpacks African-American voters into many GOP-held seats, easing Democrats' path immensely.

The new map virtually assures the defeats of GOP Dels. David Yancey of Newport News (the winner of that random drawing) and Chris Jones of Suffolk, and gives Democrats an excellent chance to pick up Del. Gordon Helsel's open seat in Hampton. In addition, GOP Speaker Kirk Cox of Chesterfield and GOP Del. Chris Stolle of Virginia Beach newly find themselves in Clinton-carried districts.
          That's what
          - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I thought only Republicans gerrymandered?
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I'm reading, too, that Bevin pulled a Hillary and insulted a significant portion of the electorate when he made a number of disparaging comments about Kentucky teachers unions. But even with that drag on Bevin, Beshear, if he wins the recount, will have still only won by the very narrowest of margins.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                No, you misunderstood, it's only wrong when Republicans do it.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                  They called it "unpacking". I kid you not...
                  That's what
                  - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Bevin’s unpopularity was just a little stronger than Trump’s popularity. I don’t think Trumpco should feel to bad about that.
                    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Re-elected Northam?? This is the sort of ignorance that I adore about you out of towners...
                      What do you mean by 'out of towners.'
                      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

What do you mean by 'out of towners.'
                        You are not a Virginian.
                        That's what
                        - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I believe the reverse is true considering the history racial gerrymandering by Republicans.

Source: https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/11/virginia-democrats-victory-after-killing-racial-gerrymander.html

On Tuesday, that Republican lost his seat, one of six that Democrats flipped to capture a majority the House of Delegates. Democratic candidates appear to have won the overall House vote once again–but this time, they gained a 55–45 majority. (They also won over the state Senate, 21–19, which holds elections every four years.) This turn of fortune reveals the impact of fair maps. In 2017, Democrats were severely disadvantaged by a Republican-drawn racial gerrymander that trapped a huge number of black voters in a handful of noncompetitive districts for nearly a decade. By 2019, that gerrymander was dead, killed off by the courts. And its demise has allowed Virginia Democrats to translate their votes into fair representation in the General Assembly, gaining full control of the state government for the first time since 1994.

Virginia’s gerrymander had its roots in the 2009 election. Republicans swept the state that year, winning both chambers of the Legislature as well as the governorship. (The election presaged the GOP conquest of state legislatures in time for the next redistricting cycle, masterminded by Virginia’s Ed Gillespie.) After the 2010 census, the GOP-controlled General Assembly passed—and Gov. Bob McDonnell approved—maps that divvied up the state on the basis of race. Most minority voters were packed into heavily black Democratic districts; the rest were scattered through predominantly white Republican districts. The House map was the worse of the two, blatantly relying upon “blue sinks” to siphon off votes from districts that might otherwise have proved competitive.

In 2014, Virginia voters filed a lawsuit alleging that 12 House districts had been drawn along racial lines, in violation of the equal protection clause. Four years later, a federal district court invalidated 11 of the 12 districts, agreeing that they amounted to an unconstitutional racial gerrymander. The court appointed a special master to redraw the illegal districts. But, of course, fixing a handful of districts creates a ripple effect that requires more lines to be redrawn to maintain equal population. The court wound up adopting a remedial map that altered 25 districts, eliminating several safe GOP seats and generating more competitive races. Attorney General Mark Herring declined to appeal the decision, leaving the House to step in—but in June, the Supreme Court ruled that the House lacked standing to represent the state. The new maps won out.

The problem was illicit redistricting.

Democrats took full advantage of the level playing field, raking in buckets of cash to finance aggressive campaigns against Republican incumbents. They flipped several key districts that were redrawn this year to clinch their House majority. Democrats also exploited the GOP’s gerrymander rot: Suburban districts have swung left under Donald Trump, leaving Virginia Republicans scrambling to dissociate themselves with the president. These developments translated into a resounding victory for progressives.

There is very little doubt that Democrats would’ve taken control of the Virginia House in 2017 if Republicans’ racial gerrymander had fallen in time. Tuesday’s blowout demonstrates that there’s no mysterious or insurmountable hurdle that organically prevents Democrats from translating a landslide (in overall votes) into a majority in the General Assembly. The problem was not that Democratic voters tend to cluster in urban regions, as some Republicans have long claimed. The problem was illicit redistricting.

Now the chief question facing Virginia Democrats is whether they will engage in tit-for-tat gerrymandering after the 2020 census, capitalizing upon their power to entrench Republicans in the minority. (While racial gerrymandering is forbidden, the Supreme Court has declined to prohibit partisan gerrymandering.) In February, the Legislature passed a constitutional amendment that would create a bipartisan commission to draw district lines in the future. But the measure will not take effect unless the incoming Legislature passes it once more and voters approve it. Democratic legislators will soon need to decide if they want to entrench their majority through undemocratic means—or enact reforms that take politics out of Virginia redistricting for good.

Frank

Comment

You are not a Virginian.
                            By your logic only the Native Americans are Virginians.

I was born in Maryland and lived in both Maryland and Virginia when I was young. Part of my family's tree and flower Nursery was South of Arlington. My sister graduated from University of Richmond.
                            Last edited by shunyadragon; 11-06-2019, 06:48 PM.

Frank

Comment

I believe the reverse is true considering the history racial gerrymandering by Republicans.
                              Like I told seer, it's only wrong when Republicans do it.

Comment