Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Election results for Virginia and Kentucky

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    Well as we can see by the turnout numbers, the Dem redistricting effort swung the pendulum to the other direction, and the representation of the popular vote does not reflect the new makeup of either chamber.
    It gave a more ballanced representation approved by the courts. The previous Republican redistricting in both states isolated black representation in only a few districts, and rejected by the courts.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 11-07-2019 at 05:30 PM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

God, family, chicken! Bill the Cat's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    IT gave a more ballanced representation approved by the courts. The previous Republican redistricting in both states isolated black representation in only a few districts, and rejected by the courts.
    No it didn't, obviously. The numbers bear that out. More Republicans voted than Dems. So why are there more Dem representatives now?

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    No it didn't, obviously. The numbers bear that out. More Republicans voted than Dems. So why are there more Dem representatives now?
    The facts are facts that the Republicans in North Carolina and Virginia lumped most blacks in a few districts to preserve Republican white districts, and the courts rejected this gerrymandered districts. The number of districts are not relevant. One factor is that increased population over time has resulted in more district in all states where there are population increases, and the population has significantly increased in Virginia.

In both North Carolina and Virginia many districts remain 70-90% white Republicans. In North Carolina more Democrats voted, but the State Legislature is still controled by Republicans,
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 11-08-2019 at 05:38 AM.
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The facts are facts that the Republicans in North Carolina and Virginia lumped most blacks in a few districts to preserve Republican white districts, and the courts rejected this gerrymandered districts. The number of districts are not relevant. One factor is that increased population over time has resulted in more district in all states where there are population increases, and the population has significantly increased in Virginia.

In both North Carolina and Virginia many districts remain 70-90% white Republicans. In North Carolina more Democrats voted, but the State Legislature is still controled by Republicans,
    Right. Like I keep saying, it's only wrong when Republicans do it.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

The facts are facts that more Republicans voted. Sticking with the leftist mantra of "Popular vote", you should be outraged that the winners of the popular vote in t he state are not in power.

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

6. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The facts are facts that more Republicans voted. Sticking with the leftist mantra of "Popular vote", you should be outraged that the winners of the popular vote in t he state are not in power.
    Worthy of note the governor elected for the whole state was a Democrat. Disproportionate gerrymandering is the issue. Republicans vote at a higher percentage as Democrats, which is unfortunate, but which is the case in many districts in the state which are 70-90% Republican particularly in Western Virginia.

Frank

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Worthy of note the governor elected for the whole state was a Democrat.
    3 years ago. Different election.

Disproportionate gerrymandering is the issue.
    No it isn't. Allowing people in Newport News to share a district with people in New Kent is the issue. Cities and farmland have little to nothing in common, so they shouldn't share a delegate.

Republicans vote at a higher percentage as Democrats, which is unfortunate,
    No it isn't.

but which is the case in many districts in the state which are 70-90% Republican particularly in Western Virginia.
    Again, it stands to reason that districts should share interests.

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

9. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.