Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump Derangement Is Destroying Political Analysis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
    And it is very necessary, and in the end will need be bipartisan.
    And the Easter Bunny will publish the findings, Trump will go to jail, and everybody will live happily ever after.

Nixon wasn't bipartisan until they realized in the end that they had no choice but to advise Nixon to resign if he didn't want to be convicted.
    The Nixon impeachment was the result of an actual undeniable documented CRIME, Jim. Nobody disputed that the CRIME occurred, and nobody was confused about what the CRIME actually was.

Did I mention there was actually a CRIME that triggered the Nixon impeachment process?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

And it is very necessary, and in the end will need be bipartisan. Nixon wasn't bipartisan until they realized in the end that they had no choice but to advise Nixon to resign if he didn't want to be convicted.
      The inquiry resolution vote in the Nixon impeachment was 410 to 4 - overwhelmingly bipartisan. The Trump 'validation of existing investigations, not an impeachment resolution, honest' thing had a vote of 232 (all Democrat) to 196 (194 Republicans and two Democrats).

No direct evidence and no valid charges (focus group polling aside) - and the only 'bipartisan' support is for stopping the whole mess. This sham is nothing remotely close to the Nixon or Clinton affairs which both had bipartisan support for the inquiry - and in Clinton's case, the articles of impeachment.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
        The inquiry resolution vote in the Nixon impeachment was 410 to 4 - overwhelmingly bipartisan. The Trump 'validation of existing investigations, not an impeachment resolution, honest' thing had a vote of 232 (all Democrat) to 196 (194 Republicans and two Democrats).
        Comparing the Trump Impeachment to the Nixon Impeachment is like comparing a Clown Car to the Indy 500.

clown car.jpeg
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Trump will go to jail, and everybody will live happily ever after.
          Let us hope so, though if he's smart he'll seek asylum in Russia just as did Putin's puppet in Ukraine, Yanucovych

The Nixon impeachment was the result of an actual undeniable documented CRIME, Jim. Nobody disputed that the CRIME occurred, and nobody was confused about what the CRIME actually was.

Did I mention there was actually a CRIME that triggered the Nixon impeachment process?
          Nixon was being impeached and innocent of committing any crimes until Congress decided that he did. No different than this case with Trump. But do keep seeking out those excuses.

Comment

Nixon was being impeached and innocent of committing any crimes until Congress decided that he did. No different than this case with Trump.
            Wrong - Nixon was implicated because there was absolute undeniable crime linked directly to him. Nobody disputed that Watergate was a crime, and the impeachment was all about the coverup.

Did I mention there was an actual undeniable CRIME?

Comment

Comparing the Trump Impeachment to the Nixon Impeachment is like comparing a Clown Car to the Indy 500.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40903[/ATTACH]
              True, Trump is far more corrupt and dangerous than Nixon ever thought of being.

Comment

True, Trump is far more corrupt and dangerous than Nixon ever thought of being.
                You appear to be in your "let me prove how childish and immature I can be" mode, so have fun.

Comment

Wrong - Nixon was implicated because there was absolute undeniable crime linked directly to him. Nobody disputed that Watergate was a crime, and the impeachment was all about the coverup.

Er, guys, you're both wrong. Nixon was not impeached. There was an impeachment inquiry because there was sufficient evidence that he had been involved in an actual crime. Nixon resigned after being forced to release the tapes that proved his guilt.

An we still wonder about those eighteen minutes...
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Er, guys, you're both wrong. Nixon was not impeached...
                    Er, no, I'm not wrong. I never said he was impeached.... there was obviously an impeachment process begun, but he bailed before there was a vote.

Sometimes you're a wee trigger-happy to find fault, my dear sister.

Perhaps you assumed because I said....

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    But I pointed out it was a "process" in that same post...

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      Er, no, I'm not wrong. I never said he was impeached.... there was obviously an impeachment process begun, but he bailed before there was a vote.

Sometimes you're a wee trigger-happy to find fault, my dear sister.

Perhaps you assumed because I said....

But I pointed out it was a "process" in that same post...

You've been editing... And I now have no idea what you think you said that I'm assuming from... Be back...

Back: Actually, it was the use of impeachment that I quoted. I knew you knew better - you caught me mucking that up - but it still reads like Nixon was impeached.

But that's not really what I was getting at - Nixon's involvement was not certain at the time of the inquiry vote.
                      Last edited by Teallaura; 11-16-2019, 08:35 PM.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

You've been editing... And I now have no idea what you think you said that I'm assuming from... Be back...
                        Regardless --- I am FULLY aware that Nixon was not impeached, never said he was, though the impeachment process had most certainly begun, and it was VERY MUCH BIPARTISAN, because it was so overwhelmingly OBVIOUS that an actual CRIME had been committed, and he was implicated in direct involvement.

Comment

Regardless --- I am FULLY aware that Nixon was not impeached, never said he was, though the impeachment process had most certainly begun, and it was VERY MUCH BIPARTISAN, because it was so overwhelmingly OBVIOUS that an actual CRIME had been committed, and he was implicated in direct involvement.
                          Chill - that wasn't what I was getting at.

Yes, the break in was a crime - but improper use of presidential power for political gain can also be criminal (needs a lot more salt, I grant). At the time of the inquiry vote it wasn't at all certain that Nixon was actually involved.

But there was a very definite, specific line of inquiry with regard to charges - totally unlike the floundering 'investigation' of Trump.

Jim's only being a little bit jerky - if you let this get to you, you'll have a stroke when Ox shows up.

Kum-bah-yah time?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Different times, CP. Republicans were a different breed back then, they were sane. Trump has committed many obvious crimes already, and could probably shoot someone on 5th ave, and still an impeachment inquiry would be partisan. Republicans/conservatives today are basically led, like sheep, by unethical, immoral propagandists.

Comment

Different times, CP. Republicans were a different breed back then, they were sane. Trump has committed many obvious crimes already, and could probably shoot someone on 5th ave, and still an impeachment inquiry would be partisan. Republicans/conservatives today are basically led, like sheep, by unethical, immoral propagandists.
                              A WHOLE lot more salt...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Chill - that wasn't what I was getting at.....
                                Um... slow your roll.

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                                Er, guys, you're both wrong. Nixon was not impeached.
                                I was not wrong - you simply jumped to the conclusion that I thought, or said, that Nixon was actually impeached...

Next?

Comment