Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump Derangement Is Destroying Political Analysis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Schiff and the Democrats are treating it like a trial.
    With the exception, of course, that they appear to have no idea whatsoever how a real trial works.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      This is a travesty, not an investigation.
      Early days yet. Your democracy is on life support, curtesy of this investigation. You should pray that Trump’s ambition is severely curtailed, because you will not survive another Trump term.
      “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
      “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
      “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Schiff and the Democrats are treating it like a trial.
        If it happens, the trial takes place in the Senate, under the direction of ‘Moscow’ Mitch.
        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
          Early days yet.
          And plenty of rope - the Dems will hang themselves soon enough.

Your democracy is on life support, curtesy of this investigation.
          I just got back from the county courthouse where I registered my truck, and the clerk kissed me. All is well. Our democracy is flourishing.

You should pray that Trump’s ambition is severely curtailed, because you will not survive another Trump term.
          I will, actually, though with a sore left knee, perhaps.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

But, just you wait, you roguesque one..... any day now... ANY DAY now.... Trump's house of cards will come home to roost!!!
            The chickens are already home, clucking away madly. Republicans are deaf and so are you.

Comment

The chickens are already home, clucking away madly. Republicans are deaf and so are you.
              Eh? Say again?

Comment

• Originally posted by dirtfloor View Post
                Fortunately, I am reasonably fluent in American Sign Language.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Eh? Say again?
                  It’s time for you to take a stand. Go and put a new battery in your hearing aid and get a grip. I will help you, but you need to make some effort to get on board with the party of truth and enlightenment; the Dems.

Comment

• This might be significant:
                    Toward the end of his opening statement, however, acting US Ambassador to Ukraine Bill Taylor changed the script.

He revealed that one of his aides had been with US Ambassador to the EU Gordon Sondland as he carried out a phone conversation with Donald Trump following a meeting with Ukrainians on 26 July, the day after the now-famous Trump-Zelensky phone call.

According to Taylor, his aide heard Trump ask about "the investigations" - and Sondland replied that Ukraine was ready to move forward.

Sondland then told Taylor's aide that the president cared more about the investigation of the Bidens than anything else involving Ukraine.
                    BBC News

Comment

Fortunately, I am reasonably fluent in American Sign Language.
                      I can do the Happy Birthday song, but that's about it although I knew the alphabet in 4th or 5th grade.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Sure there are, but are you claiming that any of those exceptions apply in the case of the hearsay witnesses from yesterday?
                        That was in response to the poster ridiculing the fact that hearsay could even be considered legitimate evidence.

This isn’t a judicial process so it’s ridiculous to expect adherence to the rules of evidence especially while thinking the other side doesn’t have to play by the same rules. That’s why the Supreme Court held that rules of evidence including hearsay don’t apply in grand jury proceedings. They don’t apply in any proceedings without judicial power.

This whole hearsay defence isn’t valid and only used by people that either don’t understand the process or have no substantial defence to the claims. In Trumps case, I’m pretty sure he doesn’t understand much of anything and his followers seem to just take whatever he tweets as gospel. That’s how we get to things like Nunes opening statement...

In any case I’m going to try and see if any hearsay exceptions could potentially apply to any claims made yesterday after work. I enjoyed doing these exercises at uni but I don’t work in criminal law so I’ll have to brush up on it.

Comment

• Originally posted by dirtfloor View Post
                          This might be significant:

BBC News
                          Hearsay, speculation, and personal opinion. Not significant.
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
                            That was in response to the poster ridiculing the fact that hearsay could even be considered legitimate evidence.

This isn’t a judicial process so it’s ridiculous to expect adherence to the rules of evidence especially while thinking the other side doesn’t have to play by the same rules. That’s why the Supreme Court held that rules of evidence including hearsay don’t apply in grand jury proceedings. They don’t apply in any proceedings without judicial power.

This whole hearsay defence isn’t valid and only used by people that either don’t understand the process or have no substantial defence to the claims. In Trumps case, I’m pretty sure he doesn’t understand much of anything and his followers seem to just take whatever he tweets as gospel. That’s how we get to things like Nunes opening statement...

In any case I’m going to try and see if any hearsay exceptions could potentially apply to any claims made yesterday after work. I enjoyed doing these exercises at uni but I don’t work in criminal law so I’ll have to brush up on it.
                            You're spot on that this is not a judicial process. It's more of a public spectacle, and it's all about - on the part of both parties - positioning themselves for control of the government.

Comment

This is an investigation, not a trial.
                              Inquiry, not investigation.

Using bad evidence to find good is one thing; this is just bad evidence trying to justify a trial. And failing miserably.
                              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

This might be significant:

BBC News
                                Nope - it's crap. Aide boy can only testify to hearsay if they even call him. Kevin Bacon is more connected to Trump than 'my aide said he overheard Sondland's side of the conversation'.
                                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment