Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump Derangement Is Destroying Political Analysis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 10 rather be doing than watching this latest circus:

10. Grabbing a live wire.
    9. Seeing the newest “Charlie’s Angels” movie.
    8. Watching paint dry.
    7. Getting my teeth cleaned.
    6. Changing a dirty diaper.
    5. Breaking my leg.
    4. Willingly watching an episode of The View.
    3. Staying home, for a quiet night.
    2. Watching season 3 of “The Crown”.
    1. Playing my new game.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
      Top 10 rather be doing than watching this latest circus:

10. Grabbing a live wire.
      9. Seeing the newest “Charlie’s Angels” movie.
      8. Watching paint dry.
      7. Getting my teeth cleaned.
      6. Changing a dirty diaper.
      5. Breaking my leg.
      4. Willingly watching an episode of The View.
      3. Staying home, for a quiet night.
      2. Watching season 3 of “The Crown”.
      1. Playing my new game.
      Number 5 isn’t as fun as it sounds. This is from
      someone whose done it twice because I wasn’t sure if I did it correctly the first time. Overrated.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
        No, they haven't. Quit concentrating on the grandstanding (I admit, that is the fun part) and look at what the witnesses are actually bringing to the table. Thus far, it's been a big load of nothing - most being inadmissible at trial, one literally providing nothing material and no one able to testify to requisite motive. Sondland undermined the case further today.

To actually do anything, the House would have to pass a resolution, get subpoena power and get the principles to testify. But that's hideously risky - and I doubt they have the votes to pass it now.
        Could you provide a couple of examples or point me to an article that would support you saying 'most being inadmissible at trial'? If theres a list somewhere that would be ideal. I'm interested in the reasoning behind it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
          Number 5 isn’t as fun as it sounds. This is from
          someone whose done it twice because I wasn’t sure if I did it correctly the first time. Overrated.
          Which was the general idea. Only 1, 2, and 3 would be things I would willingly do.
          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Could you provide a couple of examples or point me to an article that would support you saying 'most being inadmissible at trial'? If theres a list somewhere that would be ideal. I'm interested in the reasoning behind it.
            ? Hearsay is inadmissible unless it meets exceptions - none of this did.

But sure - it'll be tonight before I'll get to the research but I should be able to find something in text.
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
              Which was the general idea. Only 1, 2, and 3 would be things I would willingly do.
              Come on now - you do #6 willingly - the alternatives are too ugly not to.
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Come on now - you do #6 willingly - the alternatives are too ugly not to.
                "Reluctantly, only because the alternatives are worse" is a far cry from "willingly."
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  "Reluctantly, only because the alternatives are worse" is a far cry from "willingly."
                  She's a mom. Willingly - with clothespin on nose!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

? Hearsay is inadmissible unless it meets exceptions - none of this did.

But sure - it'll be tonight before I'll get to the research but I should be able to find something in text.
                    That would be great but no need to go out of way. There’s quite a lot of exceptions to the hearsay rule and if you can’t make a reasonable argument for exception then it’s also pretty fun to see if you could find a creative way to show it’s relevance to something else to get it in. It’s better than sudoku.

In Australia we have barristers who present our cases in court so I never get to do it for work.

Comment

• Decent podcast on impeachment evidence - sorry, I'm helping a friend on a commission job and got busy researching pasteboard v chipboard.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• This may (?) be of some use: Federal Rules of Evidence -- especially since, as I understood him, Lindsay Graham plans to "insist" that Federal Rules of Evidence apply if and when the Senate hears the case, and opined that virtually nothing of what was presented in the House would be admissible.

Section 801 and thereabouts specifically address "hearsay."
                        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                          This may (?) be of some use: Federal Rules of Evidence -- especially since, as I understood him, Lindsay Graham plans to "insist" that Federal Rules of Evidence apply if and when the Senate hears the case, and opined that virtually nothing of what was presented in the House would be admissible.

I don't think there's as much hearsay as he claims and even if some don't fall under the exceptions they should have a decent chance in 807.

Comment

This may (?) be of some use: Federal Rules of Evidence -- especially since, as I understood him, Lindsay Graham plans to "insist" that Federal Rules of Evidence apply if and when the Senate hears the case, and opined that virtually nothing of what was presented in the House would be admissible.

Ideally, any impeachment proceeding should be able to transfer from Congress directly to a civil court.
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Stealing! Thanks!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I don't think there's as much hearsay as he claims and even if some don't fall under the exceptions they should have a decent chance in 807.
                                Might have more trouble with 703 - need for direct knowledge.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment