Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

11/11/19: Mercury Transit 2019: How to Watch the Rare Event Live Online

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 11/11/19: Mercury Transit 2019: How to Watch the Rare Event Live Online

Mercury Transit 2019: How to Watch the Rare Event Live Online
    By Hanneke Weitering
    2 days ago
    Skywatching
    When Mercury passes in front of the sun on Monday (Nov. 11), skywatchers will need to have the right equipment to see it safely. But if you don't have the right astronomy gear handy, you can watch the transit live online.

Observatories around the world will be broadcasting live views of the sun on Monday, when Mercury will cross in front of the sun from our perspective here on Earth. Mercury won't do this again until 2032, so you don't want to miss it!

Mercury will begin to creep onto the sun's disk at 7:35 a.m. EST (1235 GMT), and it will take about 5 hour and 28 minutes to make its way across, with the transit ending at 1:04 p.m. EST (1804 GMT). You can watch the entire transit live here on Space.com. We have rounded up a list of several different webcasts you can choose from, and you can find those below.

I've been looking forward to this for weeks!

Mercury shrugs. . . maybe

We will not see this again until when?’
    We?, whose we that will never see this again.
    Limited time only . . .
    Watch a live broadcast of the transit of Mercury in front of the sun.
    The effect won’t be visually impressive to see,
    But the black dot against the sun will be a remarkable thing to see . . .
    Internet locks up as billions try to watch, . . .
    A black dot sloooowly glide across the sun, grass grows. . .
    No one really sees it except the blind man sleeping under the bridge.
    For others more in touch with reality it is . . .
    Zumax Mania or . . . ouch Finger Cutter on the Ipad, or
    Clear the screen, got Hot Hot Babes on the Blackberry.
    Mercury shrugs, ah . . . I thought . . .
    Damn, internet froze again.

Frank
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
      Mercury shrugs. . . maybe

We will not see this again until when?’
      We?, whose we that will never see this again.
      Limited time only . . .
      Watch a live broadcast of the transit of Mercury in front of the sun.
      The effect won’t be visually impressive to see,
      But the black dot against the sun will be a remarkable thing to see . . .
      Internet locks up as billions try to watch, . . .
      A black dot sloooowly glide across the sun, grass grows. . .
      No one really sees it except the blind man sleeping under the bridge.
      For others more in touch with reality it is . . .
      Zumax Mania or . . . ouch Finger Cutter on the Ipad, or
      Clear the screen, got Hot Hot Babes on the Blackberry.
      Mercury shrugs, ah . . . I thought . . .
      Damn, internet froze again.

Frank
      Are you okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
        By Hanneke Weitering
        2 days ago
        Skywatching
        When Mercury passes in front of the sun on Monday (Nov. 11), skywatchers will need to have the right equipment to see it safely. But if you don't have the right astronomy gear handy, you can watch the transit live online.

Observatories around the world will be broadcasting live views of the sun on Monday, when Mercury will cross in front of the sun from our perspective here on Earth. Mercury won't do this again until 2032, so you don't want to miss it!

Mercury will begin to creep onto the sun's disk at 7:35 a.m. EST (1235 GMT), and it will take about 5 hour and 28 minutes to make its way across, with the transit ending at 1:04 p.m. EST (1804 GMT). You can watch the entire transit live here on Space.com. We have rounded up a list of several different webcasts you can choose from, and you can find those below.

My solar eclipse glasses are at work, so I won't be able to look until I get there. Thanks for posting this so late, Jerk.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
          Are you okay?
          Frank hasn't been okay for years, now. If there was any justice, someone would cut off his internet access.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            My solar eclipse glasses are at work, so I won't be able to look until I get there. Thanks for posting this so late, Jerk.
            Says here Amazon prime can deliver a pair by Tuesday.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
              Are you okay?
              Sure! Are you OK taking this seriously.
              Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
              Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
                  By Hanneke Weitering
                  2 days ago
                  Skywatching

So here is a picture I took this morning from a 6" SCT (Celestron Nextstar SE) that I had out showing some high school kids the transit. Taken, believe it or not, with a cell phone. The problem here is I don't know if the picture interface that TWEB uses will allow enough resolution for you to see mercury ...

Mercury Transit.JPG

Another interesting fact - there are NO sunspots today. So the only spot to see is Mercury.

ETA: Seems to have a allowed the full resolution.
                  Last edited by oxmixmudd; 11-11-2019, 02:14 PM.
                  My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                    So here is a picture I took this morning from a 6" SCT (Celestron Nextstar SE) that I had out showing some high school kids the transit. Taken, believe it or not, with a cell phone. there are NO sunspots today . . . So the only spot to see is Mercury.

That's pretty neat - thank you for posting this. Too bad I wasn't able to see it in person since we couldn't see it from Alaska (where it feels like spring ).
                    We know J6 wasn’t peaceful because they didn’t set the building on fire.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                      Sure! Are you OK taking this seriously.
                      Honestly what you wrote looks like thought salad.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                        So here is a picture I took this morning from a 6" SCT (Celestron Nextstar SE) that I had out showing some high school kids the transit. Taken, believe it or not, with a cell phone. The problem here is I don't know if the picture interface that TWEB uses will allow enough resolution for you to see mercury ...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40787[/ATTACH]

Another interesting fact - there are NO sunspots today. So the only spot to see is Mercury.

If you want to get a better intuitive feel of just how big the sun is - blow this picture up so it takes up a good bit of your screen. Then take your mouse and put it at one side. Then move it across the disk at a rate that takes about 4.5 seconds to cross. You are moving your cursor at about the speed of light relative to the sun's diameter. That is the speed light itself would appear to have crossing the sun.

Jim
                        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment