Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 11/11/19: Mercury Transit 2019: How to Watch the Rare Event Live Online

Faith
    Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Sure! Are you OK taking this seriously.
    Honestly what you wrote looks like thought salad.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    So here is a picture I took this morning from a 6" SCT (Celestron Nextstar SE) that I had out showing some high school kids the transit. Taken, believe it or not, with a cell phone. The problem here is I don't know if the picture interface that TWEB uses will allow enough resolution for you to see mercury ...

Attachment 40787

Another interesting fact - there are NO sunspots today. So the only spot to see is Mercury.

ETA: Seems to have a allowed the full resolution.
    If you want to get a better intuitive feel of just how big the sun is - blow this picture up so it takes up a good bit of your screen. Then take your mouse and put it at one side. Then move it across the disk at a rate that takes about 4.5 seconds to cross. You are moving your cursor at about the speed of light relative to the sun's diameter. That is the speed light itself would appear to have crossing the sun.

Jim
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"