Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: How Scientists Got Climate Change So Wrong

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    It's kinda like saying "OK, so we were wrong - REALLY wrong, but NOW we have it together --- trust us - we're scientists".
    The author does not represent any sort of "We."
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    The author does not represent any sort of "We."
    Yeah, I'd distance myself from that stinkbomb, too.
    DuckDuckGo - Privacy Simplified

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Actually, it wasn't Juvenal's title - it was the title given by Eugene Linden, the author of the opinion piece.

Attachment 40829
    If all that is available for discussion on this is pedantic trivia masquerading as legitimate criticism, it is not either/or CP. It is both. It is the title of the article in the NYTimes. And it is the title Juvenal chose for his thread about the article here on TWEB.

Now - regardless of how we provide attribution to the title itself, It's purpose remains the same. It is a jab at those in the anti-climate-change misinformation crowd that try to cast aspersions on the attempts by the scientific community to quantify the effects of AGW over time.
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 11-13-2019 at 07:43 PM.
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    If all that is available for discussion on this is pedantic trivia masquerading as legitimate criticism, it is not either/or CP....
    Calm yourself, brother -- the false accusation was that it was MY title.....

Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Your title is from a very biased non-scientific agenda,...
    It clearly was not MY title.

Next?

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Doesn't appear to be a pun, either; the author seems to genuinely think its affects have been vastly underestimated by scientists.
    It is a jab, a specific sort of sarcastic criticism, of those in the anti-climate change community that try to cast aspersions on the science of climate change over what is generally presented as the climate science community exaggerating the effects of AGW. What the author is doing is pointing out that in some cases that same scientific community underestimated those same effects -significantly so. What this sort of criticism does is bring into stark focus both the dangers of large corporations and other special interest groups funding misinformation at the expense of the long term well being of all of us and the ignorance of those that due to their fears and anti-science biases willingly accept that same misinformation over the careful research of legitimate scientific organizations.

And it bears mentioning that you are actually perverting the focus of the article, which is NOT to be critical of the science and scientists, but the political and corporate forces that have made their voices harder to hear and trust and forced them to be wary of speaking loudly about the data in the true direction it leads - especially when that data shows things are capable of going bad quickly.
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 11-13-2019 at 08:00 PM.
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Calm yourself, brother -- the false accusation was that it was MY title.....

It clearly was not MY title.

Next?
    I'm not replying in reference to that at all CP. I am responding to your quip about it not being Juvenal's title but rather that of the NYTimes author. The post of yours that I quoted in my reply.

Quote Originally Posted by CP
    Actually, it wasn't Juvenal's title - it was the title given by Eugene Linden, the author of the opinion piece.
    I am confused at how you can so completely misconstrue and/or misunderstand two of my posts in a row. How did that happen CP?
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 11-13-2019 at 08:08 PM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I'm not replying in reference to that at all CP. I am responding to your quip about it not being Juvenal's title but rather that of the NYTimes author. The post of yours that I quoted in my reply.
    Juvenal used - verbatim - the author's title, which I clearly demonstrated with the screenshot - and it was in response to shuny's moronic accusation that it was MY title.

Are you just roaming the board looking for a fight, Jim?

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Juvenal used - verbatim - the author's title, which I clearly demonstrated with the screenshot - and it was in response to shuny's moronic accusation that it was MY title.

Are you just roaming the board looking for a fight, Jim?
    No CP. let's review:

This is the initial post you made that I replied to:

Quote Originally Posted by CP
    I think it's interesting that the fact that scientists "got science climate so wrong" is an argument for trusting them now.
    This has nothing to do with Shuny's posts. It is a criticism of the scientific community using the title as a basis for the criticism.

I responded to THAT post CP and said your implications are wrong and gave reasons why we can trust science in general.

THEN you picked only the fact Juvenal used the NTYimes title as his thread title as your point to criticise my reply - which is not even a legitimate criticism of my attribution of the title, for the equally pedantic reason I gave.

Hence my question to you CP. You don't seem to understand what I was replying to, or even to be aware of what you were saying when I chose to reply to your post.
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 11-13-2019 at 08:29 PM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    No CP. let's review:...
    I have no desire to have any conversation with you, Jim, particularly when you start off with this kind of crap....

If all that is available for discussion on this is pedantic trivia masquerading as legitimate criticism.....

Lemme guess, Jim --- this is your very gentlemanly way of "extending a friendly hand, eh?

And again ... and yet I'm still extending a friendly hand (or trying to anyway)

Done with you.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I have no desire to have any conversation with you, Jim, particularly when you start off with this kind of crap....

Lemme guess, Jim --- this is your very gentlemanly way of "extending a friendly hand, eh?

Done with you.
    CP - you probably should be. Because I certainly am not going to lay down and let you blame me for a mistake you made.