Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

List of Trump's crimes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
    Sounds like Morrison may be all in, in the cover-up. VP Pence's aide, who was also privy to the call, in her testimony, disagreed with Morrison, that there was nothing improper on the call.
    You're acting like the rest of us haven't read the transcript for ourselves.

The more relevant take away from Morrison is that Vindman can't be trusted.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Also...

Similarly, Democrats distorted the testimony of Jennifer Williams, an aide to Vice President Mike Pence, whose testimony was also released on Saturday. Democrats highlighted the fact that Williams testified that she was told by another aide that Trump told Pence to skip Zelensky’s inauguration in May — though she did not hear that first-hand.

They quote her as saying the July 25 call “for me shed some light on possible other motivations behind a security assistance hold.” But they leave out her saying she “didn’t have any firsthand knowledge as to the reasoning.”

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...-tim-morrison/

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        Also...

Similarly, Democrats distorted the testimony of Jennifer Williams, an aide to Vice President Mike Pence, whose testimony was also released on Saturday. Democrats highlighted the fact that Williams testified that she was told by another aide that Trump told Pence to skip Zelensky’s inauguration in May — though she did not hear that first-hand.

They quote her as saying the July 25 call “for me shed some light on possible other motivations behind a security assistance hold.” But they leave out her saying she “didn’t have any firsthand knowledge as to the reasoning.”

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...-tim-morrison/
        When you have folks like Rep. Mike Quigley (D-IL)arguing that "hearsay can be much better evidence than direct"[1] it's getting to where they're starting to believe that hearsay - even two, three and four times removed - is legitimate and no need to mention it.

That, or they're deliberately omitting it so as to lead others to a false conclusion.

1 And Quigley put a whole lot of emphasis on "much."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          When you have folks like Rep. Mike Quigley (D-IL)arguing that "hearsay can be much better evidence than direct"[1] it's getting to where they're starting to believe that hearsay - even two, three and four times removed - is legitimate and no need to mention it.
          ‘hearsay’ is the reason that Congress needs to interview the people Trump is trying to prevent the inquiry speaking to. Trump is doing more obstruction, which itself is criminal and evidence of other crimes.

The ‘war’ previously mentioned is an information war between Trump with his allies, and the USA. I think you are in for a long period of reconstruction after he goes.
          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
          “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by dirtfloor View Post
            ‘hearsay’ is the reason that Congress needs to interview the people Trump is trying to prevent the inquiry speaking to. Trump is doing more obstruction, which itself is criminal and evidence of other crimes.

The ‘war’ previously mentioned is an information war between Trump with his allies, and the USA. I think you are in for a long period of reconstruction after he goes.
            "Obstruction of Congress" is not a crime. It's called "separation of powers" and "executive privilege". The president does not serve at the pleasure of Congress. If Congress wanted their subpoenas to have teeth then all they had to do was vote to make the investigation official, which they adamantly refused to do.

This whole idea that Trump, if he's innocent, should be willing to submit his people to interrogation by Congress is absurd. Let's put it this way: If the police come to you and say, "You're not under arrest or anything, but would you mind coming down to the station to answer a few questions? You know, just to clear your name," you say no!

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
              If Trump exercising his constitutional right of Executive Privilege is illegal then why oh why did Schiff withdraw his subpoena to Charles Kupperman immediately after the latter filed a suit asking a federal judge to decide whether a Congressional subpoena trumps Presidential Executive Privilege?

If what Trump is doing is, as you claim, "criminal" then Schiff should have welcomed the suit since it would lead to the courts joining force with Congress in opposition to Trump.

But, that's not what Schiff did. Even after issuing veiled threats to Kupperman that he better testify or at the very least he'll be cited for contempt as well as telling the media how instrumental Kupperman's testimony is, Schiff folded like a cheap lawn chair.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

If Trump exercising his constitutional right of Executive Privilege is illegal then why oh why did Schiff withdraw his subpoena to Charles Kupperman immediately after the latter filed a suit asking a federal judge to decide whether a Congressional subpoena trumps Presidential Executive Privilege?

If what Trump is doing is, as you claim, "criminal" then Schiff should have welcomed the suit since it would lead to the courts joining force with Congress in opposition to Trump.

But, that's not what Schiff did. Even after issuing veiled threats to Kupperman that he better testify or at the very least he'll be cited for contempt as well as telling the media how instrumental Kupperman's testimony is, Schiff folded like a cheap lawn chair.
                Nothing about this episode is covered by executive privilege because Trump has already published transcripts of calls and has commented on other details.

Sean Illing says that the new type of obstruction, unforeseen by the founders and pioneered by the Republican Party, is the collusion between the President and his Party in Congress to prevent the President from being held to account. It is profoundly damaging to the Constitution. If it is allowed to succeed, the antics of Trump and Nixon before him, will, in future, be commonplace.
                Last edited by firstfloor; 11-17-2019, 04:30 PM.
                “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Originally posted by dirtfloor View Post
                  Nothing about this episode is covered by executive privilege because Trump has already published transcripts of calls and has commented on other details.

Sean Illing says that the new type of obstruction, unforeseen by the founders and pioneered by the Republican Party, is the collusion between the President and his Party in Congress to prevent the President from being held to account. It is profoundly damaging to the Constitution. If it is allowed to succeed, the antics of Trump and Nixon before him, will, in future, be commonplace.
                  The Republicans refuse to cooperate with the Democrat party's witch hunt! How dare they!

Comment

I'm pretty sure you're belittling cheap lawn chairs.
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Dude, no one violated an appeal to the Fifth - there's no problem with the Executive cooperating in some areas and not in others. The release of transcript doesn't obligate the Exec to cooperate further. And that one has already been tested in the High Court during the Nixon inquiry. Exec privilege isn't forfeited by cooperation or public release.
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

This whole idea that Trump, if he's innocent, should be willing to submit his people to interrogation by Congress is absurd. Let's put it this way: If the police come to you and say, "You're not under arrest or anything, but would you mind coming down to the station to answer a few questions? You know, just to clear your name," you say no!
                        On a related note, I read a very interesting article recently about how most people, including lawyers, don't know how to plead the fifth. The usual wording is, "My legal counsel has advised me to not answer the question on the grounds that the answer could incriminate me," which totally sounds like "I can't tell the truth without admitting my guilt," and that's precisely how it will sound to a jury.

The author suggested, instead, the following:

On the advice of my lawyer, I respectfully decline to answer on the basis of the Fifth Amendment, which—according to the United States Supreme Court—protects everyone, even innocent people, from the need to answer questions if the truth might be used to help create the misleading impression that they were somehow involved in a crime that they did not commit.

https://poseidon01.ssrn.com/delivery...126031&EXT=pdf

Comment

You don't void Executive Privilege unless you claim it in every instance

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                            I'm pretty sure you're belittling cheap lawn chairs.
                            Others take lawn chairs to new heights.

lawn chair.jpeg
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I have been listening to the audio of Marie Yovanovitch on Lawfare. It is such powerful testimony that it surprises me that ‘Moscow’ Mitch himself has not walked into the White House and blown Trump’s head off with a gun.
                              It a amazes me that the loony left is usually so rabidly anti-gun, except when their hatred causes them to say things (like murdering POTUS) that, in another era, would have raised the attention of the Secret Service.

I'm tending to think this is not a case of hypocrisy, but one of insanity.

I would kindly suggest dropping any such discussion of fatal attraction to POTUS on this board, ff, because we don't need the liability.
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

On a related note, I read a very interesting article recently about how most people, including lawyers, don't know how to plead the fifth. The usual wording is, "My legal counsel has advised me to not answer the question on the grounds that the answer could incriminate me," which totally sounds like "I can't tell the truth without admitting my guilt," and that's precisely how it will sound to a jury.

The author suggested, instead, the following:

[box]On the advice of my lawyer, I respectfully decline to answer on the basis of the Fifth Amendment, which—according to the United States Supreme Court—protects everyone, even innocent people, from the need to answer questions if the truth might be used to help create the misleading impression that they were somehow involved in a crime that they did not commit.
                                A judge would be entitled to remind a jury what the Fifth Amendment actually says - not compelled to be a witness against himself. It is simply a part of the fair trial doctrine, but it is also advertising the fact that the person pleading ‘the Fifth’ knows a secret that a prosecutor would like to know. I assume that a prosecutor would be free to launch an investigation into anyone who does so plead if they were not already subject to investigation.

Comment