Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

List of Trump's crimes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    It's not once in a while - and what he does is not okay at all as a Christian. But I will respect Sparky's wishes and leave it at that.
    At this point, I would say criticizing someone publicly while hiding from them behind 'ignore' is one of the more hypocritical things one can do in a forum like this.
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 12-16-2019, 05:11 AM.
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      A) that's your interpretation
      2) it's not "for eternity" - it's until the policy changes
      Time to change the policy.

Israel is a special case, surrounded on all sides by sworn enemies, and has been our only loyal ally in the region, with democratic / western values.
      It is mostly a one-sided relationship. Israel tends to ignore US requests (like cutting back on settlements) because it knows its massive aid is not threatened. But in recent years, the rivalries in that region between Sunnis and Shi'ites is overshadowing Israel. I believe ISIS declared Shi'ites to be greater infidels than Israel. Again, less need for such massive aid.

A common error.
      My peeve had been when people used "nauseous" when they meant to say "nauseated". It became so commonplace that the definition of "nauseous" has recently changed to accommodate the error.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronson View Post
        Time to change the policy.
        Until then, it's the policy, so...

It is mostly a one-sided relationship. Israel tends to ignore US requests (like cutting back on settlements) because it knows its massive aid is not threatened.
        I think you may be really naive about how all this works. Publicly, for example, the US might chastise Israel for bombing Iran's nuke facility, but behind the scenes, the US is asking Israel, "need any more help? Weapons, aircraft, ordnance, logistics, Intelligence.....?" The US is taking advantage of Israel's position, alliance, military, intelligence, cooperation --- to help keep "the bad guys" in check.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Until then, it's the policy, so...

I think you may be really naive about how all this works. Publicly, for example, the US might chastise Israel for bombing Iran's nuke facility, but behind the scenes, the US is asking Israel, "need any more help? Weapons, aircraft, ordnance, logistics, Intelligence.....?" The US is taking advantage of Israel's position, alliance, military, intelligence, cooperation --- to help keep "the bad guys" in check.
          What is gained for the US when Israel keeps building settlements?

Comment

What is gained for the US when Israel keeps building settlements?
            I'm curious ... Have you ever studied the history of Gaza? The Six Day War? How Israel "got" Gaza?
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'm curious ... Have you ever studied the history of Gaza? The Six Day War? How Israel "got" Gaza?
              Nope

Comment

Nope
                Ah, OK -- I think that would help.

Israel 'gained' Gaza when they were attacked from all sides by Egypt, Syria and Jordan in the Six Day War in 1967. During the brief but bloody conflict, Israel seized the Sinai Peninsula and the Gaza Strip from Egypt, the West Bank and East Jerusalem from Jordan, and the Golan Heights from Syria.

340px-Six_Day_War_Territories.svg.jpg

Any other nation would have declared those conquests "fruits of war" and kept them. One of the most amazing experiences I've ever had was standing on the fortifications on the Golan Heights from which you can see Syria and Lebanon.

I'm quite serious when I say that, when visiting Israel, you can pretty much tell which of the three "control zones" you are in by just looking around - the areas that the Palestinians control are pretty much dumps - the areas that Israel controls are flourishing.

Comment

Ah, OK -- I think that would help.

Israel 'gained' Gaza when they were attacked from all sides by Egypt, Syria and Jordan in the Six Day War in 1967. During the brief but bloody conflict, Israel seized the Sinai Peninsula and the Gaza Strip from Egypt, the West Bank and East Jerusalem from Jordan, and the Golan Heights from Syria.

Any other nation would have declared those conquests "fruits of war" and kept them. One of the most amazing experiences I've ever had was standing on the fortifications on the Golan Heights from which you can see Syria and Lebanon.

I'm quite serious when I say that, when visiting Israel, you can pretty much tell which of the three "control zones" you are in by just looking around - the areas that the Palestinians control are pretty much dumps - the areas that Israel controls are flourishing.
                  Yes, I am generally familiar with the war and the occupied/captured zones. I still don't understand how the US benefits from unabated Israeli settlements when that is a major sticking point for any permanent solution.

Comment

Yes, I am generally familiar with the war and the occupied/captured zones. I still don't understand how the US benefits from unabated Israeli settlements when that is a major sticking point for any permanent solution.
                    It's not that we "benefit" from them - it's that it's a political risk we're willing to accept, apparently, for other aspects of our friendship and alliance with Israel.

Comment

The very existence of Israel is a major sticking point for any permanent solution. Until that changes, I'm not especially interested in any solution.
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

A firm ally with very similar beliefs and culture in a region dominated by cultures and governments that would like nothing more than to see every building in every city in the US burn to the ground.

how about that?
                        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                          A firm ally with very similar beliefs and culture in a region dominated by cultures and governments that would like nothing more than to see every building in every city in the US burn to the ground.

how about that?
                          I think a fairly large part of the reason they hate the US so much is it's constant support of Israel. So there's that.
                          ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

• Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
                            I think a fairly large part of the reason they hate the US so much is it's constant support of Israel. So there's that.
                            Not especially. The US is easily the most influential non-Muslim power. That's more than sufficient reason to hate the US.
                            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment