Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Supreme Court Allows Case Against Remington Arms To Proceed

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Supreme Court Allows Case Against Remington Arms To Proceed

Not good! What is next? Sport cars?

Supreme Court Allows Sandy Hook Families' Case Against Remington Arms To Proceed

The Supreme Court has denied Remington Arms Co.'s bid to block a lawsuit filed by families of victims of the Sandy Hook school massacre. The families say Remington should be held liable, as the maker and promoter of the AR-15-style rifle used in the 2012 killings.

The court opted not to hear the gun-maker's appeal, in a decision that was announced Tuesday morning. The justices did not include any comment about the case, Remington Arms Co. v. Soto, as they turned it away.

https://www.npr.org/2019/11/12/77848...ton-to-proceed
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Soon we're going to need background checks just to buy something at the local hardware store.
    Last edited by Mountain Man; 11-12-2019 at 03:05 PM.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    You don't think Remington should take personal responsibility for their actions?

They deliberately made weapons that can kill people, knowing that (statistically speaking) they would likely kill some people. Then some people were killed with those weapons.

Why shouldn't they take personal responsibility for an action they made with the full knowledge that it would lead to people's deaths?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimbulb View Post
    You don't think Remington should take personal responsibility for their actions?

They deliberately made weapons that can kill people, knowing that (statistically speaking) they would likely kill some people. Then some people were killed with those weapons.

Why shouldn't they take personal responsibility for an action they made with the full knowledge that it would lead to people's deaths?
    This is pure trolling, and it's not even clever.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    What's troubling to me is the way Remington allegedly issued, in effect, taunts to the public about the capabilities of their weapons.... (bolding mine)

One of the plaintiffs in the case is David Wheeler, whose 6-year-old son, Ben, was killed in the Sandy Hook shooting. Wheeler told NPR earlier this year that to him, the lawsuit is about responsibility. And he recalled one of Remington's ads for a gun that carried the tagline, "Consider your man card reissued."

"What kind of society allows manhood to be defined in this way?" Wheeler asked.

The AR-15 is a close relative of the Colt company's M16 automatic rifle used by the U.S. military. Since Colt's patents for the original AR-15 expired in the 1970s, other manufacturers have been making guns based on similar designs.

In filings with the U.S. Supreme Court, the Sandy Hook families say Remington "published promotional materials that promised 'military-proven performance' for a 'mission-adaptable' shooter in need of the 'ultimate combat weapons system.' " They also accuse the company of fostering a "lone gunman" narrative as it promoted the Bushmaster, citing an ad that proclaimed, "Forces of opposition, bow down. You are single-handedly outnumbered."

They seem to be boasting that this is not just a hunting rifle, but a military assault rifle.
    DuckDuckGo - Privacy Simplified

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    This is pure trolling, and it's not even clever.
    That one post is why I'll no longer take anything else he posts on here seriously.

The good news is that they'll lose and will it financially devastate to the legal party involved.
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seanD View Post
    That one post is why I'll no longer take anything else he posts on here seriously.

The good news is that they'll lose and will it financially devastate to the legal party involved.
    I'm not so sure they'll lose, Sean --- this is being bounced back to the lower court in Connecticut.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I'm not so sure they'll lose, Sean --- this is being bounced back to the lower court in Connecticut.
    The precedent is much too great for them not to lose. If they win, then this won't just be happening with guns.
    Last edited by seanD; 11-12-2019 at 04:38 PM.
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    They seem to be boasting that this is not just a hunting rifle, but a military assault rifle.
    Why does it matter? It was a legal rifle under the law.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

10. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    Why does it matter? It was a legal rifle under the law.
    Because I wouldn't put it past the courts in Connecticut to be persuaded by public opinion and actually issue a ruling to "make a statement".